Subscription monetization model is a BAD idea

cerqo

Mar 17, 2021
Imagine how many people will quit the day they turn subscriptions on.

Anyone ive talked to thinks subs will kill the game.

Even the first game turned somewhat free to play.

The game should be free to play with a cosmetic shop. Everything from capes, to tabards, banners, fucking bells around your neck, crowns, glowing eyes, new skins for house models, starter weapon skins, unlimited dura starter weapons, furniture for housing etc etc.

This also opens up the possibility for whales to support the game beyond just a monthly sub. I mean almost every single asset in the game is already off the unreal marketplace, why not just do the same for cosmetics that you can buy for real money and have a free game (one time purchase).

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
The one thing we know is in the current state implementing subs would kill the current community. Apparently, they have enough funds to continue development with or without any additional support for the next couple of years.

Now might be a very good time to start exploring additional revenue options they can implement immediately without subs if they want to bring in some money while they're waiting for the game to become subworthy, even if they're going to continue planning on that model.

I'd personally like to see something like 20-50 bucks for custom capes/banners that can be imported in-game. It would both bring in some revenue, and cover the cost if they need an employee to screen these submissions through a strict set of rules. Personally would love some kind of immersion-focused rules on what can be imported so that we don't see capes sporting Belle Delphine and lewd lolis running around our medieval fantasy world.

Wyndorn

Apr 20, 2022
If the game goes free to play with a cosmetic shop, I will quit immediately.

Op, if that is what you want, just go play a game with that.

Reactions: Rynnik

KebekLorde

Jan 27, 2022
I though so originally too but one must considert all the benefits it brings too. I do agree that activating it right now would be a bad idea and many people would quit but since devs aren't planning to do that, it's fine for now.

Once the game is further in it's development and more "worth" the sub, I think at that point it's the best way to monetize it even when I personally dislike sub models extremely.

Wyndorn

Apr 20, 2022
The thing about the sub model is that it doesn't cause bad incentives for the devs like a cash shop does. A cash shop becomes "what can we sell that people will buy" but a sub model requires the overall game to be worth of paying for.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
If the game is right, it'll be OK. It's a game of older people anyway, in general.

I def don't want cash shop. Expansion is intriguing, but I can't wrap my mind around how it would work proper. If they really can hold on for 2 more years, maybe they can come up with a good model by then, too. heh. But yea no worries from me, tho I am an outlier, at a sub, assuming the game becomes even a portion of what I thought it would be.

Gladiator

Apr 26, 2022
Cosmetics would ruin the game. You gank someone who wears steel because you want his steel set.
You take a fight against a bone tissue guy because you know you can win.
Games like Archeage? You never freakin know wtf they wearing beyond a gearscore, and this wont work with just a gearscore because damage is calculated on each individual part of your body. Not only would it be stupid to add skins, it would straight up make the game worse.

Maybe its hard to explain this to simple minded elitists like yourself, but most people like immersion in videogames like these, and most people is what StarVault, and any company would be interested in. Now, a cosmetic cape, or banner, wouldn't be an issue. So long as it doesnt interfere with the actual game. That means no wings, or pig wig, or whatever else you might think of.

And yes, i agree 100% that sub would kill the game. But thats only true for today. If the game gets polished, and semi-complete, 2, maybe 3 years down the road, i think Subscription is definitely the way to go, its the best model for any MMORPG, unless you want it to turn into a p2w piece of shit like any other on the market.

Reactions: Rynnik and Castiel

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
The thing about the sub model is that it doesn't cause bad incentives for the devs like a cash shop does. A cash shop becomes "what can we sell that people will buy" but a sub model requires the overall game to be worth of paying for.
Yeah, problem with shit tier games and their cash shop is they end up making their whole development around that shit.

People and their "ideas" to help SV get more money is just... Idiotic.

They already have money now and what are they doing with it lol.

If the game gets fleshed out with the kind of deep sandbox mechanics it needs to work, people will pay subs for it.

If it doesn't get there, as far as I'm concerned, it's irrelevant what it uses as a model
Yeah this. If the game is worth the sub people will play it, otherwise it will be another one of those games where just a few of "i love pixels in my bank" type of people plays it.

cerqo

Mar 17, 2021
Cosmetics would ruin the game. You gank someone who wears steel because you want his steel set.
You take a fight against a bone tissue guy because you know you can win.
Games like Archeage? You never freakin know wtf they wearing beyond a gearscore, and this wont work with just a gearscore because damage is calculated on each individual part of your body. Not only would it be stupid to add skins, it would straight up make the game worse.

Maybe its hard to explain this to simple minded elitists like yourself, but most people like immersion in videogames like these, and most people is what StarVault, and any company would be interested in. Now, a cosmetic cape, or banner, wouldn't be an issue. So long as it doesnt interfere with the actual game. That means no wings, or pig wig, or whatever else you might think of.

And yes, i agree 100% that sub would kill the game. But thats only true for today. If the game gets polished, and semi-complete, 2, maybe 3 years down the road, i think Subscription is definitely the way to go, its the best model for any MMORPG, unless you want it to turn into a p2w piece of shit like any other on the market.

Where exactly in my post did I say to add skins for "steel armor" weapons etc. Ill explain once to a small brain dog like yourself. Any single thing you can think of, I have already considered.

D

Deleted member 44

It's really the only way that the game will have a population. Right now be have 1,100 peak population after the necro patch. Give it a month or two and we will be back down to 500 peaks and 300 off peak player counts. This is with a "free"model. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that even if free, there is no player retention. A subscription model will drive more people away.

Reactions: Doom and Gloom

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Not to be 'that guy,' but believe it or not when you dudes come in and call someone a small penor or w/e you just sound like a whiny bitch. Learn how to talk without insulting people. Shit is super annoying.

At least be funny or witty or something, otherwise it really does sound sooofttt. We can all make fun of each other and laugh, yeeeh, but like I said... unironic 4th grade insults are bg. "IMO"

Banter, however, is very healthy!

Reactions: Melkhia

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
It's really the only way that the game will have a population. Right now be have 1,100 peak population after the necro patch. Give it a month or two and we will be back down to 500 peaks and 300 off peak player counts. This is with a "free"model. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that even if free, there is no player retention. A subscription model will drive more people away.

Right. In order for a sub-model to work, you have to have something people really want to play. And while there are some people who love this game enough to pay a sub, I think if the sub model start takes out a good section of the community then a lot less people who would pay 15$ a month at a 1000+ peak player pop will still be willing to pay 15/mo. The more players this game loses. The less content. The less content, the more players will be lost.

Reactions: cerqo

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Not to be 'that guy,' but believe it or not when you dudes come in and call someone a small penor or w/e you just sound like a whiny bitch.

iu

Learn how to talk without insulting people.

you just sound like a whiny bitch.

iu

Not saying you're wrong. I just found it a bit hilarious you're like "STOP INSULTING PEOPLE YOU WHINY BITCHES!"

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
Or just not charge anything for this poop game.

If people feel like buying skins for collaborating with the team they might aswell donate and don't get anything but a stable development in return.
Or people "need" that supporter title, or horse skins :S

Not to be 'that guy,' but believe it or not when you dudes come in and call someone a small penor or w/e you just sound like a whiny bitch. Learn how to talk without insulting people. Shit is super annoying.

At least be funny or witty or something, otherwise it really does sound sooofttt. We can all make fun of each other and laugh, yeeeh, but like I said... unironic 4th grade insults are bg. "IMO"

Banter, however, is very healthy!

People need to think before they talk if they don't wanna have a bad trip