Sub 200ms Reaction Time

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Playing any video game at this speed is something I have to actively think about and something that I struggle with greatly to keep up mechanics at the same time.

That said, with the turn cap does anybody feel that they are able to play successfully at speeds like this at the moment?

This is why I always called it a skill cap and nothing else.

I'm having to slow myself down considerably to move my mouse around does anyone else feel the same?

1618026167167.png

LivingshadeNL

Mar 23, 2021
Doesnt seem like a fast reaction speed is 100% necesary , like it only measures how fast u can do a simple action like clicking on time. In m.o when u get attacked u first have to recognise the attack direction and then react to the right direction. If the recognising part is slow u can have a good reaction speed and still suck. Correct me if i wrong

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Doesnt seem like a fast reaction speed is 100% necesary , like it only measures how fast u can do a simple action like clicking on time. In m.o when u get attacked u first have to recognise the attack direction and then react to the right direction. If the recognising part is slow u can have a good reaction speed and still suck. Correct me if i wrong

Every game doesn't have to be quake arena.

For example:
Tarkov suffers from the same "problem", there are plenty of mechanical limitations that make it impossible to react even if you yourself start acting in time. This is compensated by thinking one step ahead instead of playing completely in the moment. Its supposed to be a slower paced game and it really makes the game a lot better. There is more to gaming than super fast twitch based skill, there are things like situational awareness and the tactic of putting yourself in the situation where you can actually handle yourself.

Its not about learning to spin 360 degrees acquiring 5 different targets in 0.1 ms to wipe out a 5 man. While a feat, its detrimental to the gameplay of Tarkov. It simply does not fit the sort of semi-simulatoresque/realisticish gameplay with the games gunplay and more slow paced gameplay.

The same can be said about MO2, the devs are going for a more slow paced, gameplay which will require more thinking and planning and less acting in the now. Being extremely skilled at "twitch" gameplay is for sure not a detriment to your success but in a slower paced game the person with the better planning(I/E build or equipment vs your build or equipment, terrain, situation, teamwork etc) and just enough twitch skill will beat someone who's only forte is being extremely good at the twitch skill part of the game while sticking to a "build" someone else made and blindly rushing into every situation swinging like a madman.

Looking back at MO1, this is exactly how some of the "smaller" guilds like AQ had good success as far as i remember. Good planning, better understanding of the areas they fought in, good builds that complemented everyone in their group that was JUST RIGHT for fighting the build the usual "invader" of GK had (thinking TA and slightly post TA times here). They had good(some even great) levels of twitch skill, but i remember them working on a very thought based kiting based strategy that just worked very well for the pace that mo1 had.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Sure, i'm not saying this test measures your MO skill. What i'm asking is if anyone feels they can play this game currently at those reaction times without getting slowed down.

Truthshower

Mar 4, 2021
the only skill this game measures is group play, but even that can be stopped with just more numbers

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
mhmm when im not stoned 165-185... always thought i can only reach avg. 220

Attachments

• Bild_2021-04-10_093044.png
    Bild_2021-04-10_093044.png
    132 KB · Views: 9

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
the turn cap is very good, otherwise everyone needs constant 144 fps/144 hz and a non blur monitor to see the animations when someone has even mid mouse sens. the low avg player skill and hardware demands even lower turnspeed rn...
imo the speed is in a good balance between good/bad players, ping and group play. also the fact that you can hold your charge brings in more tactical thinking, other than for example mordhau where you just need to wait until the feint point is over to parry.

Reactions: Xunila

Bloodterst

Dec 1, 2020
stacking cups real fast takes skill..
is it a skill worth having? not really
AlertCalculatingGelada-max-1mb.gif

ballerina mousemode is on the same level
i do wonder what mo feels like on a good pc :p
but usually all that crap is oversold anyways.

Edit:
I guess what im trying to say is, do you have any better arguments?
Sell it to me? Everything takes skill but why does it have to be spazzing with your mouse?
Why make mo2 melee so weird only to have it become "the same" shit by spinning around again?
Enlighten me

Last edited:
Reactions: bbihah

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
stacking cups real fast takes skill..
is it a skill worth having? not really
AlertCalculatingGelada-max-1mb.gif

ballerina mousemode is on the same level
i do wonder what mo feels like on a good pc :p
but usually all that crap is oversold anyways.

Maybe make the combat better instead of forcing this spazz mode just because of grampa melee
Would you feel that way if your skill was the one that was deemed useless?

Still what I’m asking is do people feel that they can react to and swing at targets at speeds like this at the moment or am I the only one who feels like they can’t.

It sounds like a lot of people think it’s good that you can’t but that’s not really what I’m asking.

Bloodterst

Dec 1, 2020
Would you feel that way if your skill was the one that was deemed useless?

Still what I’m asking is do people feel that they can react to and swing at targets at speeds like this at the moment or am I the only one who feels like they can’t.

It sounds like a lot of people think it’s good that you can’t but that’s not really what I’m asking.
Yes, having a "useless" skill sucks, most of the time it can become a novelty thing where some dudes are like "cool" and move on.. thats life i guess

Im not sure if i understand what you are asking?
If i can parry someone and hit them within 179ms?
Maybe you can polish the question a bit so that we can understand you
(also not trying to be a douche or anything)

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Yes, having a "useless" skill sucks, most of the time it can become a novelty thing where some dudes are like "cool" and move on.. thats life i guess

Im not sure if i understand what you are asking?
If i can parry someone and hit them within 179ms?
Maybe you can polish the question a bit so that we can understand you
(also not trying to be a douche or anything)
Mid fight when there are multiple people running around can you adjust your swing to catch someone you weren’t necessarily aiming at to begin with, without being slowed down by the turn cap

Bloodterst

Dec 1, 2020
Mid fight when there are multiple people running around can you adjust your swing to catch someone you weren’t necessarily aiming at to begin with, without being slowed down by the turn cap
Ahh yeah.. I actually didnt realise the turn cap was the culprit so i guess i feel a bit stupid

Now that i think about it i have issues turning for a left swing, i have my mouse very close to the edge of left side so i run out of space/ feels hard to turn that way with turncaps..
maybe i can catch a video of it?
I think most of theese things would be easier to explain with a solid video

maybe it can be rebalanced somehow

how would the devs justify putting time in to this tho? In a perfect world i'd love to just have perfect combat but theres so much other crap that needs to be added

edit: jeez feels like im clogging up the thread but its only 4-5 dudes posting on the whole forum anyways xD
Why was turncaps added in the first place?
I played a crazy amount during the last stresstest and then i was gone for 3 months or so = havent played all the different versions of melee
Kinda wish the devs could just turn it off for a weekend so i can feel it, but it doesnt seem like we are in a state of the game where they want to change stuff around anymore

off topic: i like turning right with mouse, which also has made MA feel like shit to me since it forces me to turn to my left..

Last edited:

Valoran

May 28, 2020
1618062758471.png
I have never had any issues redirecting my weapon to hit someone at the last second due to the turn cap. Specifically meaning I haven't tried doing it and fallen short because the turn speed was too restricted, I have of course missed many swings but that's due to my own aim.

The current turn cap is more than fast enough to where you shouldn't be affected by it unless you're trying to turn 180 degrees and hit someone behind you while you're already mid swing. It's sort of similar to other aspects of this game that seem to restrict players, however they're only really an issue if you pretend they aren't there.

Take the weapon collision system for instance; Many people early on complained about it and wanted it removed because they were playing as if it didn't exist and had their swings cancelled all the time. Once you acknowledge that it's part of the game and you need to plan around it, it's suddenly no longer an issue.

The turn cap is similar to this, in that trying to play as if there was no turn cap will obviously cause you to constantly notice it and be annoyed by it, whereas if you accept that it's a part of the game and you need to change your gameplay to match what the game allows you to do it won't be a big problem anymore.

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
Yes, it is a bit annoying but swing speed is an even bigger problem, have to release when someone is 10 meters away if they are running at you, and still handle hit.

Reactions: Teknique