Stress Test.

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
As the third day of the stress test ends in the EU, it seems obvious that SV must consider opening an American server. The one server has no where near the capacity to handle all the people who want to play. Although, perhaps it is only Haven that is going over capacity, I have not been able to get to Myrland to see how many people are there or to experience how the game runs.

Kelzyr

Sep 22, 2020
As much as I think this would be a good idea, I think Henrik is dead-set on one mega server.

SoftHater

Mar 16, 2021
Hot place full of hate.
As much as is true multiple servers in different continents would enhance network quality and solve queue issues,
we must try to think on long term run.
Last days numbers are "fictional", there are just big numbers of curious players joining in for curiosity or for the big exposure MO2 recently got, and obviously free keys.

We should remember that this is a niche game, these numbers are not going to be stationary.
Once the trend will be out, players number is going to drastically drop to normal standards.
Doubling servers will just double maintaining costs: server rent, staff, and maybe taxes or accessory costs to operate in other countries.
SV can't risk their own asses just for some random peoples speculating on which marker strategy is the best.

If people wants more servers around the world just subscribe a 5 year nonrefundable plan to MO2 and ask for server in whatever country you would like to play in. Money moves companies not dreams.
Requesting a company to start investing building card castles on clouds by speculating on numbers of non keepers players is a bit mean.

Forum is already full of threads on this topic, in which people brought in charts, statistics and such.

Reactions: Svaar and Gnotshr

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
Trust me we, NA players, have been asking for this since the game came out in 2010.

even discounting the fact that this particular login fiasco will be fixed eventually, regional servers is the only way this game will grow as the core of it ( namely first person combat pvp) truly only shines for those that have low ping, low de-sync. And right now that only Europeans close to the server.

If people like a game, the game grows. If people have high ping, lots of de-sync and can’t block anything the game dies. Or at best remains a niche, mostly EU player base like MO1 was. It’s pretty damn simple.

and STILL Sv stubbornly refuses to do anything but one single EU server. 😠

I still hope to God that they see some sense and at least make Sarducca a us server. While not ideal, it would be a compromise. If not, this game is bound to repeat the same fate as MO1. People come, they try it, they get excited, they realize how fucked high ping pvp is and realizing there is no fix (cause they can’t move to Europe) they leave.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kelzyr and Rorry

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
As much as is true multiple servers in different continents would enhance network quality and solve queue issues,
we must try to think on long term run.
Last days numbers are "fictional", there are just big numbers of curious players joining in for curiosity or for the big exposure MO2 recently got, and obviously free keys.

We should remember that this is a niche game, these numbers are not going to be stationary.
Once the trend will be out, players number is going to drastically drop to normal standards.
Doubling servers will just double maintaining costs: server rent, staff, and maybe taxes or accessory costs to operate in other countries.
SV can't risk their own asses just for some random peoples speculating on which marker strategy is the best.

If people wants more servers around the world just subscribe a 5 year nonrefundable plan to MO2 and ask for server in whatever country you would like to play in. Money moves companies not dreams.
Requesting a company to start investing building card castles on clouds by speculating on numbers of non keepers players is a bit mean.

Forum is already full of threads on this topic, in which people brought in charts, statistics and such.
They lose potential customers with this login fiasco. People equate stress test with play test and most understand that the game won't run as smoothly and may crash more than the usual game experience (as it was in the last, very successful, test,) but not as many are tolerant of not even being able to log in. Having another server for the Americas could have netted many more customers.
I think they have the opposite problem, of NOT thinking of the long term but always just acting in the near term and zigging and zagging back and forth.
There is no reason that this should stay a "niche" game, a big part of what keeps it in this category are repeated poor roll-outs, such as MO1 steam release, and now this stress test. Both are remarkably similar.
If giving them more money would bring a server to the US, I think it would be no problem to raise it. I, for instance have donated 230$ for 3 different accounts plus bought merch from them for MO2, and often had 5+ accounts subbed in MO1 at a time and I am not alone. I don't think lack of financial potential coming from the US is the issue at all.

Reactions: Jackdstripper

risarshop

Mar 25, 2021
ping is a pvp issue. i don't know how many new players looking for full loot pvp mmo will stick to the game. once they see enemies hitting them from miles away. as much as i love the idea of 1 server i don't think is a good solution.

SoftHater

Mar 16, 2021
Hot place full of hate.
They lose potential customers with this login fiasco. People equate stress test with play test and most understand that the game won't run as smoothly and may crash more than the usual game experience (as it was in the last, very successful, test,) but not as many are tolerant of not even being able to log in. Having another server for the Americas could have netted many more customers.
I think they have the opposite problem, of NOT thinking of the long term but always just acting in the near term and zigging and zagging back and forth.
There is no reason that this should stay a "niche" game, a big part of what keeps it in this category are repeated poor roll-outs, such as MO1 steam release, and now this stress test. Both are remarkably similar.
If giving them more money would bring a server to the US, I think it would be no problem to raise it. I, for instance have donated 230$ for 3 different accounts plus bought merch from them for MO2, and often had 5+ accounts subbed in MO1 at a time and I am not alone. I don't think lack of financial potential coming from the US is the issue at all.

Sometimes reading threads in this forum i feel lost.
What is the topic? Really not making sarcasm or jokes.

Stress test itself is going well, game isn't at all.
Stress test is a test activity which involves stressing server both hardware and software, to find weak spots in both code and infrastructure.
So logical outcome is let's overload 1 server and monitor it to understand where we need to work on.
Wouldn't dividing players into 2 different servers for this purpose, be kind of counterproductive?

True is that SV always miss the shot on the PR part, always leaving it like a flag in to wind without driving it.
Previously by having the game passing unnoticed in the gaming industry, now being overwhelmed by new people flow from Youtubers and Streamers exposure.

So if we want to talk about Stress test is ok,
if we want to talk about advantages VS disadvantages of 1 World Wide Server VS multiple Regional Servers, is still ok.
But if the point of this topic is to take game failures in a testing phase of a work in progress environment to advocate for personal interest, there is nothing about to discuss, it's a pointless loop going around many times on forums.
Switching to multiple regional servers, even if is still actually out of game design, will be always possible and doable after testing phase.
There is no need to have 2 simultaneously stress tests going on with only 1 developing team at work.

Then again if people are looking at Stress Test as a Demo or FreePlay Weekend, that's only SV's fault due to lack of Public Relations skill once again.
For once i'm not trolling but trying to get somewhere.

Reactions: Gnotshr

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
It seems they have plenty of people to stress test 2 servers at once. People are waiting 10+hours and never getting into the server. By the time it is American prime time, SV has gone to bed and capped the server at low pop. Easy could have been testing one over here concurrently.

Why can't we have multiple reasons for wanting something? And why not list reasons from different angles to support our point of view?

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
It seems they have plenty of people to stress test 2 servers at once. People are waiting 10+hours and never getting into the server. By the time it is American prime time, SV has gone to bed and capped the server at low pop. Easy could have been testing one over here concurrently.

Why can't we have multiple reasons for wanting something? And why not list reasons from different angles to support our point of view?

I would have to look for it but seb pretty much purposefully is having these large amounts go to one place just so it does stress it. He is taking advantage of having all the people trying to log in to try and find how he can address the issues that comes with such situations.

Thinning out the amount of players going to one place would not be fully taking advantage of the current situation.

Reactions: SoftHater

SoftHater

Mar 16, 2021
Hot place full of hate.

Looks like we are talking about 2 different things, or at least viewing the same thing from 2 very far perspectives.
You can have how many reason you want, and list thousands of reasons supporting it, I'm not arguing on that.

Thread Title: Stress test, Majority of Posts resume: They should have made an NA server or multiple servers, people cant login or if they can there is pvp disadvantage.

to my eyes it's like complaining about heated chairs not heating in a car crash test.

It's important i'm not saying it isn't.
I just feel like most of players now are more into "I wanna play the game now and with low ping.", instead of "It's a stress test, we play making server overload, and SV does run numbers and see where to work on".

If people doesn't have patience to run beta testing, they shouldn't apply for it, and wait for game release.
I replied to this tread because misleading title, i thought the topic was about the stress test itself, not another make NA server thread.

I would have to look for it but seb pretty much purposefully is having these large amounts go to one place just so it does stress it. He is taking advantage of having all the people trying to log in to try and find how he can address the issues that comes with such situations.

Thinning out the amount of players going to one place would not be fully taking advantage of the current situation.
⬆ Example of posts i expected to find in a thread named "Stress Test", thanks @Amadman to providing such practical example.

Reactions: Amadman and Gnotshr

Bicorps

Jun 27, 2020
As the third day of the stress test ends in the EU, it seems obvious that SV must consider opening an American server. The one server has no where near the capacity to handle all the people who want to play. Although, perhaps it is only Haven that is going over capacity, I have not been able to get to Myrland to see how many people are there or to experience how the game runs.

The server is full and they dont want share the server player cap. Huge world with not many player it feel empty.( All in the loggin screen because server full)
So even if they add servers... these servers would feel as empty as this one except there would be no queue and nobody playing at night.

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
The server is full and they dont want share the server player cap. Huge world with not many player it feel empty.( All in the loggin screen because server full)
So even if they add servers... these servers would feel as empty as this one except there would be no queue and nobody playing at night.
I finally got into the game last night and it did not feel empty of players at all, high traffic areas like the bank were hardly accessible, and it was hard to find anywhere in the wilderness where you couldn't see people running in all directions. That wasn't even when the server was being stress tested, it must be nuts when they raise the population cap.

Wesley Snipes

May 28, 2020
They totally need an NA server. Unless henrik has an army of network/server engineers chained up in his basement theirs only so much they can do when it comes with optimization. Banking on fucking star link is stupid. If they do the 2nd server, they'll need to consider decreasing the size of the world.