Starting out with 100 in basic movement skills

Sayton

Mar 24, 2021
It's pretty evident that the number one complaint most people have when starting the game, is that the game feels too slow/clunky.
I think if new players started with 100 sprinting, footspeed an jumping skills it would make the game feel more fluid and possibly make more newbs stick around and actually give the game a fair chance.

I don't mean "let us opt to start with a maxed character like in other mmos" - just those basic movement skills that makes the game playable, for the sake of a better first impression. It's not really like it's a fun activity or great achievement to get 100 in those skills anyway and if you don't want them you can just remove the levels.

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
I dont even think those should be skills. It should just be what your character has. A skill that makes you run faster is pretty dumb since everyone is going to want it maxed out anyway.

Its also been a complaint from new players for years. Starting off moving slow and clunky is just bad.

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
i dont know that movement speed is as big an issue anymore. Its been much improved since mo1 and the early skill levels you gain in it show up in the log and serves to give new players clues as to how the skill system works. the bigger issue here is that its not displayed in big large text on character creation that dexterity directly affects your movement speed as this is a rather unusual way for dex to play out in games. New players in general have no idea that this is a thing and just assume the game is slow. perhaps also with all the help chat going on the skill gains may be missed in the log.

I think there is a bigger issue in the disconnect from what people expect from other games (not limited to MMOs) in that your actions should be fast when you do a melee attack. in most games you perform a swing more or less instantly, but in MO there has to be a charge time to give other players a chance to defend themselves. If you fail to understand this charge/release system and expect the instant attacks you get in other games, it will feel *incredibly* slow. this is more of an education issue that the players will need to pick up on and i'm not sure the best way to represent that to them. it shouldnt take much pvp for newbies to understand why the charge/release system exists rather than the instant attacks they're used to.

all that being said, jumping and breathing technique should probably not exist as skills. They are secondaries locked behind no primaries so ... why do they exist? landing technique is in this category as well but its something used far more rarely and i dont have a real problem with having that take some time to skill up.

-barcode

Reactions: Sayton
D

Deleted member 44

Movement skills just need to be straight deleted. This was tedious bull shit in MO1 and it's tedious bullshit in MO2. You're telling me my character needs to learn basic motor skills like running to even function at the cost of 100 primaries point just BECAUSE. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. I would even go as far as saying swimming should be free too. Make primaries actually relevent to making your character unique and improving things you enjoy doing, not some arbitrary requirement just to play the game with a normal chromosome count.

Reactions: Sayton