Spell Range Demonstration

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
I think the range in number is centimeter, or whatever the unreal engine has decided is a centimeter anyway. So 1300 would be 13 meters. Even if you are not a imperial using scrublord, it still makes it difficult to try and gauge that distance.

Necromantic

Jun 9, 2020
They do need some kind of indicator. Depending on your field of view etc. distances may also feel different.
I'm not sure how to best do it without making it to easy. Indicating it on the icon if you are in range feels kind of cheap but without any other depth "gauge" it's sometimes hard to tell. With arrows and general projectiles you have a bit more flexibility even if you still have to aim and judge distances.

Necromantic

Jun 9, 2020
That doesn't work as spells have different ranges so that would only work with a specific spell charged up. Then again you might want it to only show it then. If you'd want it to work outside of that you'd need to have an effect on the ability icons.

Honestly, I may even prefer just having an indicator on how far your target is away from you. That would still require the most skill as you have to figure out yourself which spells work in that range etc. and it may be useful in other situations as well. I mean in reality you can also guess how far someone is away, that's what depth perception is for.