Sheevran Spellsword viable?

Newcoric

Sep 13, 2022
Hi,

Just like the title said. It's viable a 2H sheevra mage-fighter?

I'm pretty new to the game and I like the idea of having some sort of "jack of all trades". Yeah, maybe a human is a better option, but you know, aesthetics matters! XD

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
The biggest obstacle to a mage/fighter (also called hybrid) is this.
Dex is needed for running speed. Con is required for stamina pool. you need max con and max dex if you are fighting on foot.

That leaves you with enough attribute points for only 1 more full attribute. Melee weapons require strength, and spells require intelligence/psy.

If you get enough strength to effectively use a sword you will have tiny mana pool and very weak spells. If you go for int/psy you'll only have enough strength for super light weapons like short swords and daggers.

On top of this there is armour weight which heavily impacts mana regeneration. Humans get a bit of a bonus here, Alvarins do not. Alvarins get foot speed and agility type clades.

Yes you can make a jack of all trades but it will be a bad melee and a bad mage. A mage that has weak spells and little mana and a footie that has low melee damage and very light armour.

Last edited:

Jhackman

Jun 6, 2020
All the best rats play them or veelas. Speed is king. But jack’s points are all right. It isnt an easy build to play but if you master it its nearly unbeatable because you can run and heal like no one else. You’ll need to get god at parries to be able to keep the damage output on par with everyone else.

Gulith

Apr 5, 2021
Hi,

Just like the title said. It's viable a 2H sheevra mage-fighter?

I'm pretty new to the game and I like the idea of having some sort of "jack of all trades". Yeah, maybe a human is a better option, but you know, aesthetics matters! XD
if you want to try this kind of hybrid, i would recommand human instead of veela : they have more attribute points (full tindremene clade), and they have melee clade gifts. Your veela will end up with low strength and 0% dmg bonus.
With a balanced human, you can max out 4 attributes. And they have Melee + mage clade gifts, and they have more points for crafting.
Don't get baited by a 5% speed increase ... it's in the head : knowing how to play is far more impactful. Even if you have the fastest character in the game, you won't be able to escape if you move wrong, and position badly.
And you mostly don't fight alone anyway, you don't really need to flee for 20 minutes on foot in plains, unless you are a rat.
... or be a clone and play like the build all other clones play.

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
All the best rats play them or veelas. Speed is king. But jack’s points are all right. It isnt an easy build to play but if you master it its nearly unbeatable because you can run and heal like no one else. You’ll need to get god at parries to be able to keep the damage output on par with everyone else.

Until the inevitable nerf.... "soon"

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
Go paladin over hybrid. With stam penalty starting at 2kg on non humans, hybrid armor is just shit. Bad protection and still bad mana regen. Just go heavy armor and drop vitalism skill. Even 'crap' heavy armor like ironbone slams medium armor and costs nothing. Then you can still heal yourself or cast a outburst or corrupt if needed, while having good chase ability and are the best foot class for running away. And with the heavy armor you only need to be a little better than your enemy to win. And when you win you are better at chasing.

Wyndorn

Apr 20, 2022
I play a paladin-style build (which really means, just no mana regen, typically). I love it. The points others have made are spot on as well.

But I would like to say that if something sounds cool and fun, go for it -- player skill matters more than build, most of the time. I would say build really only matters when the players are of equal skill.

Reactions: Jatix

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
I would say paladins are the new hybrids. Where hybrids were 60/40 (warrior/mage), paladins are more 80/20.

Humans are the best choice imo for new and average skilled players. With their extra skill/attribute points and their mana regen clades, they really make being a paladin easy. They are really made to be jack of many trades.

Alvarins require a very high skill to excel. They sacrifice a lot for some speed, and even that speed isn't a free get out of jail card if you dont use it properly. You miss a few parries and you are in trouble.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hodo

Xronim

Aug 13, 2020
you can get capped str, con, dex and 90 int as a minimum height sheevra which is what I play, its pretty good and i dont feel much weaker than my beta sarducaan paladin, nearly identical hp pool to a full tindremene hybrid or paladin as well for playing an alvarin.

Newcoric

Sep 13, 2022
Thanks for the replies, finally i'm going to a sheevra/sheevra hybrid build leaned for magic and 2H light sword.

See you ;)

Newcoric

Sep 13, 2022
How is it going for you?

Pretty well, the "trick" with this kind of build is ambush and burst your enemy. For example:

> See an enemy > Cast fulmination > Cast Thunderslash > If enemy is approaching, take your sword and fight. If not, thunder again until he/she approach.

You'll be ever a worse fighter on paper cause not wearing heavy armor and less health. But the initial magical burst damage (50 - 150 points of magic damage which ignores armor help to solve this gap).

My suggestion is that train a lot melee combat, you'll lose duels, sure. But you don't need "win the duel" because on the wilds probably you'll have enough time to cast your magic and destroy half of the health bar of your enemy before start the fight.

It's a difficult way to play, but very rewarded.

Someone needs heal? You're the man
Enemy is heavy armored? You're the man
Your mage/Necro needs some protection? Get your sword and become this "little bastard who is running around me and attacking all the time"

My personal tips:

- Get jadeite weapons (sword), cheaper than steel and still good damage.
- Combine you're armor.
- Ambush, ambush and ambush. You're not one of those character that can win a fight 3 vs 1.

Hope this help you.

Reactions: Jatix and Alanel