Seer (Spiritualism Secondary)

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Seer would be a new secondary under the spiritualism tree.

It comes with four abilities.

1. Detect Alignment (Passive)

Makes people's alignments visible to the seer. The higher their seer level the longer the range (With 100 allowing it for any player they can mouse over)

2. Reveal Alignment (Spell)

Huge radius AoE effect that reveals the alignments of players caught in it to the Seer's allies. Like Detect Alignment the radius of this ability is based on Seer level.

3. Astral Projection (Channeled Spell)

The idea of ghost scouts is cool but unbalanced. Haunting (talking in ghost form) is also super fun. Astral projection keeps this really cool mechanic but with a major drawback. While astral projecting the player remains stationary and their body slayable. If their ghost form is banished the body dies and then the banish works as normal. This has a rather long range, but again, it is limited by seer level. And is generally limited to the area around one city in range (For instance a seer based in Fab could probably scout as far out as fab tower with an astral projection at seer level 100 but not much further).

While a seer is astral projecting they can cast other seer spells and a weakened form of banish with the reagents on their physical body. Yes, this weakened form of banish means two astral projecting scouts could duel in spirit form. Finally, an astral projecting scout can recall to their body as a 5-second stationary cast.

4. Reveal Location (Spell)

"Playername is very far away to the North east, in the area of Gaul'Kor." "Playername's soul cannot be found." (They are offline)

Super OP you say? The primary material component is their head, consumed in casting the spell. That both gives an interesting value to heads beyond simple bragging rights, and entirely balances this ability given the directions are still somewhat vague.

Last edited:
Reactions: BleckCat and Neftan

Neftan

May 28, 2020
My Mind
Seer would be a new secondary under the spiritualism tree.

It comes with four abilities.

1. Detect Alignment (Passive)

Makes people's alignments visible to the seer. The higher their seer level the longer the range (With 100 allowing it for any player they can mouse over)

2. Reveal Alignment (Spell)

Huge radius AoE effect that reveals the alignments of players caught in it to the Seer's allies. Like Detect Alignment the radius of this ability is based on Seer level.

3. Astral Projection (Channeled Spell)

The idea of ghost scouts is cool but unbalanced. Haunting (talking in ghost form) is also super fun. Astral projection keeps this really cool mechanic but with a major drawback. While astral projecting the player remains stationary and their body slayable. If their ghost form is banished the body dies and then the banish works as normal. This has a rather long range, but again, it is limited by seer level. And is generally limited to the area around one city in range (For instance a seer based in Fab could probably scout as far out as fab tower with an astral projection at seer level 100 but not much further).

While a seer is astral projecting they can cast other seer spells and a weakened form of banish with the reagents on their physical body. Yes, this weakened form of banish means two astral projecting scouts could duel in spirit form. Finally, an astral projecting scout can recall to their body as a 5-second stationary cast.

4. Reveal Location (Spell)

"Playername is very far away to the North east, in the area of Gaul'Kor." "Playername's soul cannot be found." (They are offline)

Super OP you say? The primary material component is their head, consumed in casting the spell. That both gives an interesting value to heads beyond simple bragging rights, and entirely balances this ability given the directions are still somewhat vague.
I enjoy these ideas, however I feel like the Head Reagent spell would fall more closely in line with Necromancy. Perhaps some other way to use the spell?

EDIT: I do think these would be abused in towns. You could argue that part of the risk of using a town while red is that you could get caught, and I agree, but this does feel a little eh to me. I still like the reveal ideas, and the Projection spell, but there would need to be more risk vs reward. The seer reveal aoe spell should count as an attack for the sake of flagging, allowing any player touched by it to attack the seer without repercussion.

Last edited:

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
I kind of hope that just attacking reds who have the reputation to be in a town is something that eventually is not allowed. Running around in child-safe mode red checking people is already a very bad mechanic. But yes if flags are still abusable then you could make reveal alignment flag the caster somehow.