Saving Blues from Reds, Carrot vs. Stick

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
As a blue whose played many PvP games over the years as an ARPK I'm noticing a fundamentally wrong school of thought in many others in the blue/ARPK community. This school of thought is most obviously expressed in the idea that reds hunting reds via bounties is somehow a bad thing.

The new bounty system is a fundamentally anti-red mechanic because you can only get bounties on reds. It remains an anti-red mechanic regardless of who can take these new random NPC-generated contracts. Why then, the concerns of reds killing each other? Let me tell you why you should NOT be concerned:

It is true, some reds hunt newbs at graveyards specifically because they're either looking for weak targets they feel capable of killing, or because they're truly miserable people that enjoy ruining others experience by subjecting every newcomer to one-sided fights to make sure they are "strong enough" to play a game like MO2. But a lot of reds like to hang around towns because... that's where people are. They're simply looking for a fight in any place they know they can find one. Newb, vet, somewhere in between, they just want to kill stuff.

For the first type of player only discouragement works. Hopefully in the form of ARPK guilds doing their job and protecting people, but sometimes through mechanics if the problem is out of hand. But for the second type of player, the most effective way to discourage them from haunting newbs at graveyards who just want to be left alone... is to give them tastier targets that actually want to fight with them.

That's why reds hunting reds is a GOOD thing. A red hunting a red is not hunting a newb at a graveyard. Not only should this be a no-brainer "yes, we want this" from anyone who considers themselves pro blue. You should be pushing for MORE things like this. I'll give some examples of other carrots from other games:

- In EVE factional warfare creates sites where groups looking for fights can go and PVE for rewards, at a much higher chance of PvP
- In EVE players can steal taxes from sites in the systems of groups who own null-sec territory.
- In Darkfall towns had special nodes that generated more resources than traditional nodes. Every time I wanted a fight I'd go hit someone's "Rare Ore Mine" Giving a message to their entire guild I was there stealing from them.
- In Darkfall there were villages across the map with taxed houses. Taxes had timers on them from their last collection and anyone could come collect the taxes when the time was up. Running around collecting taxes was a sure way to make money, and you were generally going to get a fight at least every other time you tried it.
- In Darkfall there were sea towers that came up on occasion with big rewards to the guilds that cleared them. They resulted in huge naval battles.
- In Crowfall much of a campaigns win mechanic came from capturing outposts for your faction/guild. People would see when you are flipping their outposts and it would draw them to you for combat.
- In Wurm Online PvP Maps have an event called "Hunt of the Ancients". A game that sometimes popped up and players could compete in it for rewards.

You see the point. What all these mechanics have in common is they create a scenario where people who are like "I'm sooooo bored. Give me PvP content!" can go and find said content. Sometimes it's infrequent events to create huge epic battles like Wurm's HOTA or Darkfall's sea towers. Sometimes it's constant small things to fight over like Darkfalls village taxes and rare ore mines or EVE's factional warfare. But all of them are kind of aimed at addressing the issue of "I kill blues at graveyard because it's the only way to find PvP"

MO2 is in MAJOR need of more carrots. Reds hunting reds via bounties is only scratching the surfaces. Instead of constantly lobbying for more sticks, let's lobby SV for more carrots to encourage healthy PvP that the reds (and frankly all of us on both sides of the ARPK/RPK fence) could really use.

rgarrett

Apr 23, 2022
thats why reds pk noobs at GY cuz theres nowhere else to go

noone wants to explore cuz wilderness is dead and dungeons are bad and very lame

Reactions: Albanjo Dravae

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Hunting reds is number 1 thing that MO2 lacks that MO1 had. RED IN THE GRAVEYARD. Cmon. Dudes sliding down fire poles.

I think they should put the bounty as money so that it can't be exploited. Make you pay your upkeep like you pay for a house, and you have a price on your head like 1g, 5g, 10g.... examples. Not big money but enough money that people can get a lil gain from farming you. When you die, you just give up their head to a vendor. Can even keep track of who has been hunted the most. Shame system! All these morality based things ain't working. In a lot of cases, killing a blue is bad, but in some, it's not! In some it's almost hard to avoid not killing them. Actions should have consequences, but killing a dude should be killing a dude, not thinking about your flag status. "Gotta wait 180 sec," looks around... that's not good gameplay mydood.

Even let other people pay the bounty on your head so you can res, add in a cool down for camping (if you want,) let other people pay your head fee, and if you ain't got it... you go back to HAVEN as a REPENTANT GHOST and have to farm the GY for your head money to res. maha.

Nah, but more people need to be pvping. They need to be pvping with each other as well as ganking nubs. They need nubs pvping!! People stay sayin' I'm the worst player in MO history but I mean stuff like jumping up on rocks, running away. I've found multiple people who tried to run away from me with out their hands up, it's like what are you teaching these kids. Since beta. Give people the 'ability' to escape and use tactics to get up and away or play hide and seek and pk people, let people come in and out of the safer zones and stir up the players just hunting or mining. All attempts to segregate the world are going to be lame. The world should fall into a natural balance. You just have to set up some very light rules, populate the world more, etc.

Fartest

Mar 23, 2022
Game is braindead if for whatever reason you decide to go out of town and play the game kill bandits or farm materials solo. EVERY player you see will attack you in 1vX PVP. majority of playerbase which is about 1k now are 40 year old griefers no new player will bother wasting their time on this sadbox

Skylandyr

Jul 27, 2021
As a blue whose played many PvP games over the years as an ARPK I'm noticing a fundamentally wrong school of thought in many others in the blue/ARPK community. This school of thought is most obviously expressed in the idea that reds hunting reds via bounties is somehow a bad thing.

The new bounty system is a fundamentally anti-red mechanic because you can only get bounties on reds. It remains an anti-red mechanic regardless of who can take these new random NPC-generated contracts. Why then, the concerns of reds killing each other? Let me tell you why you should NOT be concerned:

It is true, some reds hunt newbs at graveyards specifically because they're either looking for weak targets they feel capable of killing, or because they're truly miserable people that enjoy ruining others experience by subjecting every newcomer to one-sided fights to make sure they are "strong enough" to play a game like MO2. But a lot of reds like to hang around towns because... that's where people are. They're simply looking for a fight in any place they know they can find one. Newb, vet, somewhere in between, they just want to kill stuff.

For the first type of player only discouragement works. Hopefully in the form of ARPK guilds doing their job and protecting people, but sometimes through mechanics if the problem is out of hand. But for the second type of player, the most effective way to discourage them from haunting newbs at graveyards who just want to be left alone... is to give them tastier targets that actually want to fight with them.

That's why reds hunting reds is a GOOD thing. A red hunting a red is not hunting a newb at a graveyard. Not only should this be a no-brainer "yes, we want this" from anyone who considers themselves pro blue. You should be pushing for MORE things like this. I'll give some examples of other carrots from other games:

- In EVE factional warfare creates sites where groups looking for fights can go and PVE for rewards, at a much higher chance of PvP
- In EVE players can steal taxes from sites in the systems of groups who own null-sec territory.
- In Darkfall towns had special nodes that generated more resources than traditional nodes. Every time I wanted a fight I'd go hit someone's "Rare Ore Mine" Giving a message to their entire guild I was there stealing from them.
- In Darkfall there were villages across the map with taxed houses. Taxes had timers on them from their last collection and anyone could come collect the taxes when the time was up. Running around collecting taxes was a sure way to make money, and you were generally going to get a fight at least every other time you tried it.
- In Darkfall there were sea towers that came up on occasion with big rewards to the guilds that cleared them. They resulted in huge naval battles.
- In Crowfall much of a campaigns win mechanic came from capturing outposts for your faction/guild. People would see when you are flipping their outposts and it would draw them to you for combat.
- In Wurm Online PvP Maps have an event called "Hunt of the Ancients". A game that sometimes popped up and players could compete in it for rewards.

You see the point. What all these mechanics have in common is they create a scenario where people who are like "I'm sooooo bored. Give me PvP content!" can go and find said content. Sometimes it's infrequent events to create huge epic battles like Wurm's HOTA or Darkfall's sea towers. Sometimes it's constant small things to fight over like Darkfalls village taxes and rare ore mines or EVE's factional warfare. But all of them are kind of aimed at addressing the issue of "I kill blues at graveyard because it's the only way to find PvP"

MO2 is in MAJOR need of more carrots. Reds hunting reds via bounties is only scratching the surfaces. Instead of constantly lobbying for more sticks, let's lobby SV for more carrots to encourage healthy PvP that the reds (and frankly all of us on both sides of the ARPK/RPK fence) could really use.
so true when ever i kill a noob its really only ever to go grey and try to get the town to come fight me

Reactions: Tzone

Wyndorn

Apr 20, 2022
Game is braindead if for whatever reason you decide to go out of town and play the game kill bandits or farm materials solo. EVERY player you see will attack you in 1vX PVP. majority of playerbase which is about 1k now are 40 year old griefers no new player will bother wasting their time on this sadbox

1. Consider reading what you type
  2. I see TONS of people when out killin bandits, etc, and I would say only like 10% attack me without provocation.

CrgHck

Jan 27, 2022
Stockholm
are you in a guild? I mean if you are in a hated guild you are going to be attacked more.
my guild is not loved by all but even I dont get attacked by everyone I run into