Repair and Melting -

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
As our almighty CEO has mentioned today in discord. "We plan to implement repair and melting."

I would love to start this off by saying thanks! I personally make things with my hands daily and when i see a broken tool i love to recreate it. A quote I use when teaching stuff is, " No tool left unused.". In my eyes, tools are everything we use around us to gain information. Now let's get into this with the basics of repairing, then melting as melting is slightly more controversial in the gaming worlds.

Repairing

From what little was said about the repairing, I'm guessing we could go about this cross the board on all the weapons and armors that we can craft. Overall I think they can make this super simple and easily achievable.​
  • Crafters of high enough skill can repair weapons and armor.​
  • Total durability decreases by 5% when repaired.​
  • Repairing items at proper crafting table for 2 seconds repair.​
  • Repairing items at proper crafting table restores durability to max.​
  • Repair kits take 20 seconds to repair, ( I'm putting this high because repairing gear in a battle seems unlikely )​
  • Repair kits restore 30% of the total durability.​
  • Different Repair kits for different gear. ( Armor, Bow, Weapon, Shield, Mount Armor )​
Trying to keep it simple yet useable. I had thought of a bunch of different ways to go about repairing items separately, though that would be lots of coding and could be very time consuming for SV. So I went about it as simple as i could come up with. Please comment below on what you think and what you would like to see with repairing!

Melting ( Let's just call this Recycling )
Same statement as before.... Nothing to really go on, which is why this post is here. I would love to see this become something in MO. It would bring lots to the table for crafters and give heavy combatants reason to higher crafters. As for the crafting for most weapons and armor isn't super difficult ( Weapon is all i can speak for but I'm assuming armor crafting won't be changed to much. ), giving veterans something to teach new recruits while allowing them to stay out in the world more. We all know knowledge is power in this game. At times people questions " what's that weapon made of, or how did you get those stats?". With the ability to recycle items, someone could steal, kill, take or whatever it takes to get a gear they are questioning and find out what materials were used in its creation. Here's is how I would like to see "Recycling" work.
  • Recycling can only be done by crafters of skill level 80 or more.​
  • Recycling must be done at the proper crafting table.​
  • Recycling timer is determined by how many different materials were used. Example 1 Mat = 8 seconds, 2 Mats = 12 seconds, 3 Mats = 18 seconds.​
  • All wearable gear can be recycled. ( Pots and Foods can not be recycled. )​
  • Recycling an item will give you 20% of the materials used to make that item. ( If you used 1500 of something you will receive 400 of that material back. )​
  • Recycling an item has a chance to fail based on the durability of the item you are trying to recycle. ( Durability over 85% will be 100% Recycle and scale down in chance percentage by 10% every 10% of the items total durability. )
    Example: total durability 220, at 187 durability you will be okay to recycle at no worry. At 75% durability you will have a 10% chance to fail the recycling process.​
  • Recycling gives you 25% of the experience you would have gained when creating the item you recycled. ( Gaining 100 Exp when you craft it and only getting 25 Exp when you recycle. This is just an idea but not necessary imo. )​
Back to just trying to keep it simple yet useable by those who would like to utilize trash and turn it to riches. Keeping the returning materials low and some chance of failure if the crafter isn't paying much attention seems fair. With players making lots of low durability weapons that have low material costs, i think this would be great a way to have better crafters come around as well as get players to want to use more sustainable gear. Hopefully this also brings more crafters to the tables as everyone can now have a profession. Plus, who doesn't like to pick up the enemy gear and melt it down for bonus pleasures in victory. Not to mention you may learn something after recycling a good crafters gear.

Let's hear them comments and see what everyone thinks. I just really like the idea but it isn't needed, though i do think this could be a great add on to the game.

-Phen​

bubbles

Jul 1, 2020
This is what they wrote on their website about repairing and skills ( https://www.mortalonline2.com/features/crafting/ )

"Where realistic damaged items can be repaired if they are not totally broken. No you cannot repair a pie or a healing potion.

As you increase in skill the quality of the item increases. A general guideline for combat items is as follows.

At 50 skill and 50 lore you repair items at full effectiveness.
At 70 skill and 70 lore you can make an item that is fully perfect in every way except durability.
Beyond 70 in both skills durability continues to improve.
At 100 in both skills you can additionally sign your name on the product and have a chance to craft legendary items that visually look better than if a lesser skilled crafter made them. Both proving that the item is made by a master craftsman and advertising your own skills."

Thought it was pertinent to the discussion so I posted it, don't really have an opinion other than repairs being in the game sort of devalue high durability weapons and armour, and especially durability enhancements but idk if it matters too much

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
This is what they wrote on their website about repairing and skills ( https://www.mortalonline2.com/features/crafting/ )

"Where realistic damaged items can be repaired if they are not totally broken. No you cannot repair a pie or a healing potion.

As you increase in skill the quality of the item increases. A general guideline for combat items is as follows.

At 50 skill and 50 lore you repair items at full effectiveness.
At 70 skill and 70 lore you can make an item that is fully perfect in every way except durability.
Beyond 70 in both skills durability continues to improve.
At 100 in both skills you can additionally sign your name on the product and have a chance to craft legendary items that visually look better than if a lesser skilled crafter made them. Both proving that the item is made by a master craftsman and advertising your own skills."

Thought it was pertinent to the discussion so I posted it, don't really have an opinion other than repairs being in the game sort of devalue high durability weapons and armour, and especially durability enhancements but idk if it matters too much

I personally dont think some half ass crafter should be repairing weapons. As a crafter irl, i would never give my work to someone who hasn't done it before and provin their skills. At 50 skill you don't even make a viable items, that starts at 70 according to what Henrik has mentioned. The 100 skills is for crafting only, it gives crafters the ability to be the best of the best and engrave their work. I love this but it doesn't fall into the repair or melting (recycling).

I think giving crafters the ability to be the only repair people is a great idea. Even if it's a repair guy who has all the crafting up to 70, that player made himself a solid income by making viable weapons yet pulls more money from repairing.

I do think they should have some way to give an item to someone without it worrying about someone taking off with it. Though I feel this is where your relations will come into play, getting people on your side is always better then having enemies.

Thanks for the reply I like that you linked the website!
-Phen

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
I´m kinda split on this. So here´s my two cents.

Repairing should be possible with a jack-of-all-trades character with 50 in the skills. This would enable "fighters" to just take care of their own gear without competing with crafters. It give a reason to have skils at anything other than 70 or 100. It opens up more build orders.

It should however take resources, the ones used to craft the weapon. I don´t like the idea of repair kits very much. Unless they are crafted by players and require materials like steel/cronite/oghmium etc. It has to keep the material economy running. That´s why the item should loose some of their max durability everytime they are repaired.

Recycling is cool. You should use a furnace though. :D Dunno if they have changed how they safe data on crafted materials. Because in Mo1 they couldn´t have recycling because the information about the mats was not saved. Just the "stats".

Last edited:
Reactions: Phen

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
I´m kinda split on this. So here´s my two cents.

Repairing should be possible with a jack-of-all-trades character with 50 in the skills. This would enable "fighters" to just take care of their own gear without competing with crafters. It give a reason to have skils at anything other than 70 or 100. It opens up more build orders.

It should however take resources, the ones used to craft the weapon. I don´t like the idea of repair kits very much. Unless they are crafted by players and require materials like steel/cronite/oghmium etc. It has to keep the material economy running. That´s why the item should loose some of their max durability everytime they are repaired.

Recycling is cool. You should use a furnace though. :D Dunno if they have changed how they safe data on crafted materials. Because in Mo1 they couldn´t have recycling because the information about the mats was not saved. Just the "stats".

I agree that repair kits should be some kind of crafted thing, while repairing at a table should be free. Maybe each crafter could get an option or make a repair kit for the weapon they worked on? Then it would just take the same materials you are using.

I can see where the jack-of-all-trades comes from, I just feel it takes away from the crafters by giving a fighter an ability to maintain their own gear, and be able to gather, refine, fish, or really just about anything they want on top of it all. Then making pure crafter build would feel dumb because you won't be needed unless someone is missing gear that you make. They would just level up to 70 from 50 really quick and make something because the skills needed are so low for a quality item. Then having a small focus in steel and one type of armor and weapon to make. It would be super easy to swap skill points to just craft everything yourself, with the ability to get steel and some basic wood lores too.

Its more of a King of Crafts + Full Fighter. Unless that's the idea, everyone can just make their own gear and who care about crafters anymore xP

Thanks for the reply I like the input!
-Phen