Remove the need to make spreadsheets

Harpazo

Mar 25, 2021
As a new player to mortal I am really enjoying the crafting, it's a lot fun!

But, figuring out what makes what requires a lot of experimenting and it's necessary to make a huge spreadsheet to keep track of it all.

Making spreadsheets is not a lot of fun, in fact its quite tedious!

I would like to suggest the need for spreadsheet making be removed from the game by adding a Recipes List to the crafting windows, Every time you make an item the recipe and the result is recorded in the list. Then I can simply browse through my list in game to see what I have made and what I used to make it. This would help a lot to keep crafting fun.

Fisher(Sath)

Apr 6, 2021
In MO1 you could use paper to write down the recipes that you used when you crafted an item. This will most likely be the case in the new game as well. However even this might not be what you are looking for, so here's hoping they come up with something innovative and more useful.

Reactions: Turak

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020

But, figuring out what makes what requires a lot of experimenting and it's necessary to make a huge spreadsheet to keep track of it all.

I would like to suggest the need for spreadsheet making be removed from the game by adding a Recipes List to the crafting windows, Every time you make an item the recipe and the result is recorded in the list. Then I can simply browse through my list in game to see what I have made and what I used to make it. This would help a lot to keep crafting fun.
When you have the crafting window open, there is in fact a tab on the top right for making presets.
not 100% sure it works right now as I dont roll that way, but its clearly there so if not in yet, it will be.

Like fisher said, in mo1 we had to create a recipe that ended up in your inventory, that could then be stored in your bank, and you had to make sure it did not get stolen.

Ravenclaw

Apr 1, 2021

Obviously you never played Eve... its basically "Spreadsheets in Spaaaaaace". With the occasional warping screensaver...

Rhias

May 28, 2020
I love my spreadsheets. Got different sheets for armor types, armor padding, soft armor materials, hard armor materials, weapon heads, weapon handles, weapon head materials, weapon core materials, shield types, shield coating types, shield materials in the different slots,... And I must admit I had a lot of fun creating them and creating theories on the crafting system.

Xunila

May 28, 2020
Germany
I love my spreadsheets. ,... And I must admit I had a lot of fun creating them and creating theories on the crafting system.

Same for me with bows and alchemy: I have many recipies for bows with different materials just for the case I'm new in a town and want to craft a useful bow very fast after a little bit of woodcutting and hunting. For alchemy I even need large spreadsheets with all the material attributes and the effects of multipliers and adders.

Belteyn

Nov 29, 2020
Cambridge, UK
Firstly, everyone's spreadsheets are likely different. Some very basic, some super-complex. No UI will ever replace those.

Secondly, having a complex crafting system that takes some effort (including needing to make detailed notes via spreadsheets) does in actual fact make crafting more rewarding for those that make the effort, as less people will make the effort. In so many games crafting is so easy that everyone does it therefore no one makes any money from it. I want a game where not everyone crafts and therefore for those that do it's a viable income stream.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Currently spreadsheets is all this crafting system has going for it. I love the complexity, and in all other regards it's just a standard cut and paste of the system featured in most every other MMO.

What they NEED to remove is profession caps and bank slot limitations. The current system pressures everyone into having crafters so they can bank mats instead of gear which takes more space, rather than allowing the dedicated players interested in crafting to fill multiple crafting roles in their guild. A more active/time consuming crafting system coupled with increased grind times on crafting professions could entirely replace the skillcap on the profession end and make the game better in the process.

Reactions: Ruthless and Xunila

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
I think the issue is the people who have no business crafting are being forced to craft by the profession skillcap / one account system. The more forced a system is, the more simplified people want it to be.

You can't simply say "If you don't like crafting don't craft" because anything but the largest guilds need all hands on deck to ensure all professions are covered for all timezones.

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
I think the issue is the people who have no business crafting are being forced to craft by the profession skillcap / one account system. The more forced a system is, the more simplified people want it to be.

You can't simply say "If you don't like crafting don't craft" because anything but the largest guilds need all hands on deck to ensure all professions are covered for all timezones.
in theory, the broker will fix this issue. those who dont want to craft can just farm gold instead. unfortunately we dont have any idea how the broker will function yet so ...

-barcode

Ravenclaw

Apr 1, 2021
Well, they could always make an in-game note taking function. That could also help drive pvp and gvg.
Imagine being able to get ahold of all of a famed alchemist's notes on potion making...
I mean they already have cartography planned...why not notes?

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Well, they could always make an in-game note taking function. That could also help drive pvp and gvg.
Imagine being able to get ahold of all of a famed alchemist's notes on potion making...
I mean they already have cartography planned...why not notes?

If someone can get ahold of my notes in-game, they won't be in-game. Google Sheets and Excel work fine. Why would I switch to something that creates a weakness they don't?