Remove needing to open books for basic crafting recipes

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
Just read the new patch notes. Good overall. A noticed change
"You can now learn skills by simply using a workbench for the first time "

This is a good step but it ignore a huge issue when crafting. The need for book spam to learn every basic thing is garbage. I've even watched a new player review of MO and MO2 and both times he hated needing 100 books to make a basic shit tier weapon thats worse than a worn shortsword. Not reading the books still means they will have no lores and need to read the books or grind it up. But being forced just to open the books feels crappy.

To make it sound as dumb as possible to try and get my point across, heres MO crafting as a new player- Open a book on weapon crafting, read 2 sentances, close it and throw it in a fire for some reason because why keep it, books are for nerds. Open book on making sticks to look at a picture of a stick, throw out book. Open book on axe hammer heads, look at a picture for 2 seconds, throw out book. Now, because I've learned so much, I can try and make a 0 lores hammer.

Buying a pickaxe and having it in my inventory should teach me more about handles than opening a book for 2 seconds and closing it. You shouldn't have to open the books to learn the recipes for basic things.

Fully reading a book to gain the skill makes perfect sense. Your reading the book, you should gain knowledge on the subject. But you make a really aweful (know lores) wooden stick, you should be able to do that without a book. And then as someone practices making sticks, it would improve. No books required.

Now for advanced skills, new armor types, etc. Go ahead and make it need a book to learn because that makes it harder to unlock than examining a piece of Dracon armor in your inventory. But it really sucks that new players need to open a ton of books to make basic swords and armor. All it does it hurt the new player experience.

This is not a salt thread, I'm just trying to help the game succeed. No reason to cling to MO1's system that could be heavily improved.

• Love
Reactions: Diocles and Amadman