Remove/Lower mining extraction timer

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
Butchery timers got removed for a reason. Please reduce or remove the mining extraction timers. It serves no purpose really.

Reactions: Xunila and Gronil

Gronil

Sep 2, 2020
They really should reduce the time at the very least, 5 minutes a stack is so long. Especially when you can butcher instantly now.

Reactions: Xunila

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California
I'm not sure the butchery timers being reduced to nothing is actually for the reason you're thinking, but as I haven't heard them say anything about that I couldn't argue either way. In general tho, because of how animal carcass is directly tied to Kg's of the animal, and what you get out of them on a per stack basis seems to be a much lower % of useful materials vs mineral extraction and also a much lower value overall, I don't think it makes sense to get rid of mineral extraction timers. I don't think they're fun, but I do think if you only adjust the timer, and remove it as you suggest, you're kind of killing the value of every mid-high tier material produced thru extraction/refining ya?

I've seen you and others suggest this many times over the years, but I don't recall how you've suggested they still keep the system balanced after doing so, do you not think about the long-term effect it would have on metal and alloy prices, and then crafted items made with them as they would plummet because of a huge influx of alloys and metals available on the server?

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
I'm not sure the butchery timers being reduced to nothing is actually for the reason you're thinking, but as I haven't heard them say anything about that I couldn't argue either way. In general tho, because of how animal carcass is directly tied to Kg's of the animal, and what you get out of them on a per stack basis seems to be a much lower % of useful materials vs mineral extraction and also a much lower value overall, I don't think it makes sense to get rid of mineral extraction timers. I don't think they're fun, but I do think if you only adjust the timer, and remove it as you suggest, you're kind of killing the value of every mid-high tier material produced thru extraction/refining ya?

I've seen you and others suggest this many times over the years, but I don't recall how you've suggested they still keep the system balanced after doing so, do you not think about the long-term effect it would have on metal and alloy prices, and then crafted items made with them as they would plummet because of a huge influx of alloys and metals available on the server?
Extraction timers have no effect on the metal economy. All they do is make it so I want to extract while watching youtube and not while I wanted to play the game.

Metal prices are limited by the rocks in good places. Not extraction timer. Extraction timer is just annoying and promotes giving yourself a ton of ore with an alt and hitting extract and tabbing out. Which just promotes needing alts.

Reactions: Xunila and Gronil

Gronil

Sep 2, 2020

How is this going to make the price of metals go down? that makes no sense. Going from a 5 minute timer to a 1 minute timer won't change anything. You don't mine faster, it still takes just as much effort to get everything, you just stand at a couple appliances a bit less. Butchery gives a very decent amount of raw gold per carcass, especially when it's anything that drops scales, silks, horns, or any other valuable mat. Generally if you aren't a mounted or anyone who doesn't wear heavy armor animal materials are what you wear, not to mention all armor backings being an animal material. (Like blood silk and ivory hide which is worth a lot.)

If lowering the extraction timer a couple minutes on ore is going to ruin the economy, by that logic lowering butchery timers on Spider Queen, Ratzar Queen, and any other mob that drops any remotely high end mat will ruin the eco. I would say when you're talking about ogh, cronite, tung, and tmessing the real road bump there is the sheer stupid amount of ore stacks you need to mine, not standing AFK inside town/your TC processing it with no danger to you while you tab out and jerk off. Extracting the material a few minutes faster per stack isn't going to change anything. The only way it would harm the economy is if you started mining 1k ore per hit. If anything was going to ruin the economy, adding the extraction queue in Mortal 1 would have, because it allowed you to extract massive amounts while being afk for long periods. I'd say anything that allows you to be AFK for extremely long periods while making money is far more detrimental to the game than extracting faster.

Reactions: Jatix

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California
Extraction timers have no effect on the metal economy. All they do is make it so I want to extract while watching youtube and not while I wanted to play the game.

Metal prices are limited by the rocks in good places. Not extraction timer. Extraction timer is just annoying and promotes giving yourself a ton of ore with an alt and hitting extract and tabbing out. Which just promotes needing alts.
You can't be serious?
If I am an extractor and it takes me an X amount of time to mine and process material into any given metal/alloy, and you then you half the amount of time (as an example, you're proposing more than this) it takes me to reach that outcome I am doubling my output. That's just math homie.

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
You can't be serious?
If I am an extractor and it takes me an X amount of time to mine and process material into any given metal/alloy, and you then you half the amount of time (as an example, you're proposing more than this) it takes me to reach that outcome I am doubling my output. That's just math homie.
Your forgetting that extraction doesnt actually take time if you do it right. The only time that really mattered is mining time. Which makes extraction timers serve no purpose.

Because you like math so much, X + 0 is still X. 0 in case you were wondering is the time it takes to hit extract on all your stacks and go eat lunch.

No effect on the economy.

Reactions: Gronil

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California
Your forgetting that extraction doesnt actually take time if you do it right. The only time that really mattered is mining time. Which makes extraction timers serve no purpose.

Because you like math so much, X + 0 is still X. 0 in case you were wondering is the time it takes to hit extract on all your stacks and go eat lunch.

No effect on the economy.
Why would you take exception to using math, it literally matters far more to the balance of the game than your feelings.
I like it when people make suggestions to the game...it's very flawed and needs help, but at least think about your suggestion in a logical way and consider how the change would actually effect the game long term.

You're only considering your personal experience, and incorrectly at that. In your mind because you queue a ton of stacks and walk away, you're trying to argue that your equation is x + 0....but it isn't because X and Y here are both factors of time, which still occur globally whether you "experience" them sitting at your keyboard or not. The amount of steel produced, as an example, between you (afk for the extracting part) and some other guy is the same.

And just so we're clear, I think the timers suck as well, but any solution to changing them has to involve turning the other knobs in the process which you have ignored.

Valoran

May 28, 2020
Of course decreasing the extraction timers will have a direct affect on the material economy, for what should be fairly obvious reasons.

The real question is does it matter enough to not do it?

I personally despise the extraction timers, and would much prefer a 5-30 second timer per stack with slightly cheaper material costs than what we have at the moment which is a high amount of forced AFK time.

The only solid argument I can see for having the extraction timers not be instant is that it allows someone to potentially ambush you and take the materials when they're done processing, however in reality given the location of the extraction machines and their proximity to towns this isn't likely to be a common occurrence outside of high end extraction at the blast furnace and greater natorus.

This leaves 90% of extraction time happening almost or indeed inside towns with essentially zero risk.

Either way the cons of having this massive forced time sink far outweigh the supposed pros that I have seen presented.

Reactions: Jatix