Ranged/Melee character creation help

Kriticalfury

Dec 4, 2021
Hey guys I played MO back in the day just found out about 2 very excited! I was hoping some of the experienced players here could help me make a Ranged/Melee build for pvp, thanks in advance!

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
Just make a melee build and add archery. Im assuming here you want archery as ranged.

for the highest damage bows you’ll need highest strength possible, however its not necessary as archery is situational. Even a 100 strenght bow will do plenty of ranged damage. The only time you really want the highest possible bow damage is as a mounted archer, as that is your only way to out dps other MAs.

just make a melee build you enjoy and add archery to it. Simple and easy. You can get bows tailored made to your strength.

if you are talking about a melee with magic build then youll have to look up some hybrid guides. These days however, they aren't very popular.

Kriticalfury

Dec 4, 2021
I appreciate the intended help but I am looking to be a MA first but also be able to use melee if I was to be dismounted, I was also hoping to get actual page info, age/size/build.

Reactions: Nefnate

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
Not possible. A true MA build has no foot abilities (wheelchair build). Once you are dismounted youll be slow as fuck and wont be able to finish anyone.

you can make a gimped MA that also has some foot fighter skills, but youll be a crappy MA( wont hold your own vs other MA) and crappy fighter ( wont have all the skills of a regular fighter).

for full MA wheelchair build is heugar for max strength/stam/hp/healing etc.

nazgo

May 29, 2020
I appreciate the intended help but I am looking to be a MA first but also be able to use melee if I was to be dismounted, I was also hoping to get actual page info, age/size/build.

due to how the skill system has been designed, its hard to mix ranged + melee. Base skills (such as movement) and basic melee skills already take most of the skill points available. Then if you want to mix it with MA, you need to give up defensive stance, aggressive stance and something else, like swimming or few points from melee skills. If you want to be foot archer, its same thing, you need to give up defensive stance, aggressive stance etc. Being foot archer + MA and having melee skills is pretty much impossible.

This all comes down to all archery related skills, apart from the first (ranged combat? or something), being primary skills. So mounted archery is primary, archery is primary, the weakspot skill is primary, the stamina drain one is primary, and so on.

For build guide, I dont think there is any updated ones atm. But just pick the basic melee fighter guide, level it up and then decise which skills to drop for riding related skills. You want to get atleast 115 str (thursar) for proper bows, but with clade system, it might be worth sacrificing a bit of str if you can instead get some free skill points (like you get from human).

Reactions: Redrick

Nefnate

Jun 23, 2021
My Mind
More STR = More Damage Per Shot / More Range (in general, bow quality comes into play).
More DEX = More mobility.

There has been talk that smaller riders or ones with high dex will have advantages in the future, Henrik (Game CEO) has talked about it on stream a few times. So I would not expect the 'wheelchair' high damage per shot characters to always be the best, other than pure output on a stationary target.

What @Jackdstripper is saying, is that, people who want to pure MA would run something like a Huerger (Oghmir) with a low Dex count in order to use crazy 121+ str bows that really hit hard. However, a good (or lucky) player can win without that, and having the option to out maneuver or switch to ground by having higher Dex is a large advantage (overall, due to survivability) .

If you are locked in an even fight with someone the same skill as you, against a wheelchair MA while not being one, you will lose the fight on horseback - but you can't win everything, and at least you can still play the game (and even win the whole fight) from the ground. The wheelchair MA can't hop down and use cover or water (at least, not nearly as well). Also, less tense (lower str) bows tend to be faster shots, too, in my experience.

Here is some more statistical information:

• A Veela (Alvarin) would be extreme end.
    • Having low Str (80 something)
      • Able to use around 100 Str bows (clades that give +10 to bow ability).
    • Having very high Dex (120 on Veela)
    • Tiny and Light.
    • They are designed to be extremely agile scout / skirmisher like characters with high tact.
      • Bonuses to speed, jumping, swimming.
    • -
  • A Huerger (Oghmir) would be the other extreme.
    • Very High Str (121+ bows for high dmg per shot)
    • Low Dex (70-80 range i think, if you even level it up)
    • Small, but heavy.
    • They also have more HP in general, but, you can just kill the horse.
    • They are designed to be bulky and defensive, main tanks, and specialization with drawbacks.
      • They are great for Wheelchairs due to massive max STR/INT/CON, but low overall stat pool.
        • They have to pick one, and suffer everywhere else, basically.
    • -
  • A middle ground would be a Human.
    • Pretty much any of the varieties. Great in both worlds, not best in either.
    • My full Tindremene has (after using Clade Gifts)
      • 100 Str (98 w/o Clade)
      • 102 Dex (100 w/o Clade)
    • Dynamic range of size, and middle weight.
    • They are designed to be versatile, decent at almost everything and a large stat pool.
      • Clades focus on versatility and deeper gameplay than combat.
    • -
  • Thursar
    • Tend to have High STR.
    • and Lower Dex.
    • Large, and Heavy overall.
      • Some options here to try and slim down
        • Like by using a Tindremene as the sub race.
    • They are designed to be savage front line berserkers, their clades reinforce this.
      • Massive Melee damage output.
    • I don't know much about these guys in detail.

• Will only matter a lot in the future when (if) things are added to do with it and the mount system.
    • Size adds some HP and Damage Bonus
      • DMG Bonus only counts on Melee Weapons (useless for an archer).
    • I would say a smaller size is ideal right now due to being a smaller target.

• Age is subjective.
    • A wheelchair might go Age 30 for a bit extra STR at loss of DEX.
    • A non-wheelchair might stay 22 for the 'best' even spread of Str/Dex/Con.
    • Alvarin also has a clade that impacts age.
      • You would need to look somewhere else for details on that.

• Build depends on your dedication to your horse.
    • You can MA with only Archery, not even MA skill - but your dmg is cut low. Still doable, not competitive in direct PvP battles.
      • You can MA with Archery + MA and you're good for DMG.
      • You can MA with Archery + MA + the subskills of MA for increased efficiency, and rewards on Headshots.
      • -
    • You can horse ride with no investment.
      • You can horse ride with investment
        • Balance (less knockdown chance)
        • Controlled Riding (increased efficiency)
  • The deeper down the path of specialization you go, the weaker you become statistically on the ground.
    • Most would drop things, top down (in each category) being order of likelihood:
      • Combat
        • Aggressive Stance
          • small dmg increase
        • Defensive Stance
          • small def increase
        • Weapon Skill
          • you can use a weapon without investment, but drop a lot of damage.
        • Blocking
          • No blocking = harsh increase on stamina used to block
        • -
      • Utility
        • Survival
          • Ability to swim (well).
        • Endurance
          • Small buff to stamina value, and access to survivability options.

If you value gameplay over raw damage per shot, do not play wheelchair MA - also, "true MA only play" is a foolish, bias statement. Don't listen to such things. Listen to facts. Even an MA with a 70 STR short bow can do PvE (easily) and enjoy PvP (more as a support, or someone who targets mages). They will just lose the pure DPS race if every arrow is hitting, compared to high STR builds. I broke this down in the spoilers above.

As for your viability as a ground fighter, you lose some numbers, not ability. You do not become 'gimped' unless you heavily specialize into the MA world. If you lose a melee fight, it won't be because of 5~ less damage you do and 5~ more you take, unless you're fighting someone who is your perfect rival. Mechanical skill comes out far on top. You can choose what you drop, and how much, to find a good balance that fits you. See what I wrote in the Spoiler: Build Pathing.

If you're looking for more detail on skill build specifics, I don't have it. But I can try to answer any direct questions you have.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 44

You can do MA and a melee fighter. Don't listen to this jack dude.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021

of course you can. It just wont be a full MA or a Full melee fighter. A full MA that isn’t retarded will beat you mounted in a 1vs1 simply because of more damage. A full melee warrior, of the same skill level, will beat you in 1vs1 on foot.

pve its not even a question. You can pve as a mage with archery on a donkey. Its pve. Its easy af.
Also anyone that has to use the “if you are lucky” arguments doesn't take staying alive seriously. Yes if you are lucky your enemy will fall in a hole and kill himself. “If you are lucky” is not a strategy.

Nefnate

Jun 23, 2021
My Mind
Also anyone that has to use the “if you are lucky” arguments doesn't take staying alive seriously. Yes if you are lucky your enemy will fall in a hole and kill himself. “If you are lucky” is not a strategy.
Anyone who makes replies about someone else without taking the time or effort to direct it to the target, or address the other points they have made, isn't worth 'jack'shit, imo. Especially if they take the single thing they're referring to and take it out of context.

Is it too much brain for you to take the time to reply in totality, or maybe, acknowledge and take accountability for the fact that your 'advice' to the OP was essentially 'min max or don't bother, kid', which is not constructive or indicative to the truth of the entire game?

Can we all just, take a moment to look at this progression? I feel it helps contextualize my point:

...I am looking to be a MA first but also be able to use melee if I was to be dismounted...
Not possible. ...
of course you can. ...

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021
One of the best players I've seen in MO2 was a guy who played an MA / Foot fighter. It's entirely possible, and it just comes down to how willing you are to learn and get better at the game.

Point being, you should probably stick to something more forgiving instead of playing a class fantasy - as the class fantasy mindset gets you killed in this game.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Not possible. A true MA build has no foot abilities (wheelchair build). Once you are dismounted youll be slow as fuck and wont be able to finish anyone.

you can make a gimped MA that also has some foot fighter skills, but youll be a crappy MA( wont hold your own vs other MA) and crappy fighter ( wont have all the skills of a regular fighter).

for full MA wheelchair build is heugar for max strength/stam/hp/healing etc.

If you are talking fully min-maxed I think you're kind of right. But I've played around A LOT with adding versatility into builds, and generally if you want to go for a highly versatile build you can do so with surprisingly small sacrifices to your main role.

Adding foot capabilities to an MA, not even an issue. I've fit A LOT more roles into a single build than FF and MA. Good FFs should all have 100 Archery meaning all you're really adding is 100 controlled riding, 100 mounted archery, and 26 creature control for a bare bones MA. And given how trash ALL of the archery secondaries currently are, that's sacrificing almost nothing.

Reactions: SilentPony

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
I mean you can play a fat Thusar mage / melee / ranged / tamer hybrid if you want. Wouldn't be that good but I wouldn't argue against it. I mean it's your character. It doesn't have to be the best if you have fun playing it

Reactions: Redrick and Nefnate

PoisonArrows

Aug 7, 2020
Hey guys I played MO back in the day just found out about 2 very excited! I was hoping some of the experienced players here could help me make a Ranged/Melee build for pvp, thanks in advance!
Hi I am A experienced Pvp player. You are looking for a Mounted Combat Build because you played Mo1. There I fixed your description. No but seriously hardly anyone plays Foot Fighter in this game. Mounted has such A overwhelming advantage.

Now the Build. Human Mounted Tribrid. Pros: Breaks Game Balance, Can out damage any foot fighter with Ma and then follow and hit with Mounted combat skills. Because Foot fighter can never catch it to dismount it and then you can simply Heal your horse GG WP. And because Humans Clade gifts gives them free points. Human Tribrid also can wear Plate armor without it affecting mana regen, so now you can never be caught and never run out of mana to heal your horse. Other possible combos: Oghmir for more tank stats and better MA damage since they can get 123 strength. Cons: Weaker then Human Tribrid because they don't have the points to be as effective and they would suffer mana regen issues wearing plate... But i guess it doesn't matter since u can run away on horse, and unequip armor to regen faster. Veela: Fastest Class when dismounted, Weakest Hp, But can get a ton of stats for attributes if you choose Smallest size that's about it.. Cons: Just play Human Tribrid for best build. Thursar: Highest Melee Damage Bonus and it effected Mounted Charges. Cons: Human has just slightly less Melee damage bonus and can do everything else in game and not just Melee combat.

For Stats just get 65 Int to keep heals up... Max your strength and Con, Dex doesn't matter much but anything over 89 is considered good in todays meta, everything else into Pyche. Age stats don't matter as long as you follow this advice. That is because of the new Int curve making 65 good enough for the build you are trying to aim for.

• Angry

Nefnate

Jun 23, 2021
My Mind
Hi I am A experienced Pvp player. You are looking for a Mounted Combat Build because you played Mo1. There I fixed your description. No but seriously hardly anyone plays Foot Fighter in this game. Mounted has such A overwhelming advantage.

Now the Build. Human Mounted Tribrid. Pros: Breaks Game Balance, Can out damage any foot fighter with Ma and then follow and hit with Mounted combat skills. Because Foot fighter can never catch it to dismount it and then you can simply Heal your horse GG WP. And because Humans Clade gifts gives them free points. Human Tribrid also can wear Plate armor without it affecting mana regen, so now you can never be caught and never run out of mana to heal your horse. Other possible combos: Oghmir for more tank stats and better MA damage since they can get 123 strength. Cons: Weaker then Human Tribrid because they don't have the points to be as effective and they would suffer mana regen issues wearing plate... But i guess it doesn't matter since u can run away on horse, and unequip armor to regen faster. Veela: Fastest Class when dismounted, Weakest Hp, But can get a ton of stats for attributes if you choose Smallest size that's about it.. Cons: Just play Human Tribrid for best build. Thursar: Highest Melee Damage Bonus and it effected Mounted Charges. Cons: Human has just slightly less Melee damage bonus and can do everything else in game and not just Melee combat.

For Stats just get 65 Int to keep heals up... Max your strength and Con, Dex doesn't matter much but anything over 89 is considered good in todays meta, everything else into Pyche. Age stats don't matter as long as you follow this advice. That is because of the new Int curve making 65 good enough for the build you are trying to aim for.
I am not going to bother breaking down what is truth and what is false in this post.

There is some good stuff here, but it is completely lost in the bias, sarcasm and overall jaded tone soaked in 'meta'. Just stop.

m4rt3

Dec 10, 2021

What do you mean by "Tribrid?" Three bloodlines?

PoisonArrows

Aug 7, 2020
What do you mean by "Tribrid?" Three bloodlines?
Humans have more points then anyone else because of their Clade Gifts. So basically they can be a Mounted Archer, Have Healing from magic to Heal their Horses, have high armor from being a human and not suffer mana penalties, and do Mounted combat with lances or foot fighter if they get dismounted. So since they can do it all we call these Tribrids.

Reactions: Redrick

Nefnate

Jun 23, 2021
My Mind
Humans have more points then anyone else because of their Clade Gifts. So basically they can be a Mounted Archer, Have Healing from magic to Heal their Horses, have high armor from being a human and not suffer mana penalties, and do Mounted combat with lances or foot fighter if they get dismounted. So since they can do it all we call these Tribrids.
@m4rt3 keep in mind, these things are exaggerations. There is truth, but, do not think you're going to become some god, as implied here.

Reactions: ArcaneConsular

PoisonArrows

Aug 7, 2020
@m4rt3 keep in mind, these things are exaggerations. There is truth, but, do not think you're going to become some god, as implied here.
None of it is a exaggeration, my guild The BeastMasters fights on foot, so do Miscreants and some Levia and a few Battle Bandits. Everyone else fights on mount. So I can tell you from first hand experience how hard it is to kill a Mounted player as a foot fighter. You simply can't do it unless the Mounted player overstays their welcome. And if the mounted player is a Tribrid they can run away Heal their horse to full Hp and then come back and fight again. You as the Foot fighter can't prevent this from happening, you can simply shoot them with Arrows until they are out of distance, they then heal up the damage because no damage matters unless you score a horse kill. That is because Foot fighters can only dismount you with Hammer/Axes and as a Mounted player you won't ever be close enough for that to happen. And Mages can't dismount because Earth Quake is broken. That's why this patch Henric finally took my advice and made Terror Birds faster to hit horses. It finally happened a good change for once. Make no mistake playing on mount is the default best build in the game. You can do all PVE content from the safety of your horse, you can do Pvp and win unless the enemy has more mounted players then you. Just my 2 cents and I PvP every single day.