Rage Quit Protection - Last Resort Teleport

Royboy

Jun 6, 2020
There's always going to be rage quits. You can't help that, or plan against it. But I had an experience recently on MO1 that might be a common cause of people quitting the game.

I was working up a MA, and I was in a bit of a lull with motivation. I had a Jungle House in mind and I decided to scout with this guy for farming spots. One thing led to another, and ofc I got wasted by a couple of Sators. So low motivation, bad happening, I basically haven't played for two weeks. (bi-polar here so mood swings are in play).

One of the things that is getting to me is having to rescue this guy from the jungle. I know there are heaps of ways to do this - ask a friend to bring you a mount for instance- but maybe some rage quitting or demoralising could be averted if I had a button I could push to get me back to town.

Hear me out!

I don't want an easy get home miracle out. I want it to cost me, and I want it to be very limited. I want to be conflicted. I was thinking that it was a safe button you could use 5 times only. Each time you used it you lose one point off every stat except psyche, and add one to psyche. I have some sort of lore reason for boosting psyche, like you are using the etherworld, so it's a big bunch of psych. Its not important other than lore. The key is the penalty.

Basically it is a big red button you push and say fuck it.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California
So like a teleport to "home" priest and it gives you statloss. I don't see the harm personally, some would hate it probably tho. Given protections so it wouldn't be used as a form of fast travel, and the consequence for using it was such that you really don't want to use it because it'll wreck your stats and you'll have to spend time fixing them I think it'd be ok.

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
Not sure if its a false memory, but I have a faint memory of Henrik talking about players being able to have a home priest that can only be used when dead.

Not sure where or even if I heard it for sure though.

Maybe someone else has memory of this also and can verify?

Malathion

May 29, 2020
Getting lost is one thing - but getting pulled to a priest and not having a clue where it took you is another. I found this very aggravating at the beginning.
As much as I'm against it - I see where it would be good for brand new players to have 3-5 back to towns.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bicorps

Neftan

May 28, 2020
My Mind
Not sure if its a false memory, but I have a faint memory of Henrik talking about players being able to have a home priest that can only be used when dead.

Not sure where or even if I heard it for sure though.

Maybe someone else has memory of this also and can verify?
Home priests have indeed been spoken about by Henrik

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Getting lost is one thing - but getting pulled to a priest and not having a clue where it took you is another. I found this very aggravating at the beginning.
As much as I'm against it - I see where it would be good for brand new players to have 3-5 back to towns.
Yeah I remember it wasnt too accurate and often sent you further than closest priest when you did it.

Reactions: Malathion

Geedorah

Jul 13, 2020
Maybe put a teleport spell in spiritism? Make it somewhat expensive or leads to statloss.

Necromantic

Jun 9, 2020
Necromancy Summon Dead Player, the cost is you now have to act as the necromancer's pet for a period of time.

I remember in early MO development Henrik was talking about actually resurrecting an enemy player and having him be a pet for you for a while. But the Necromancy implementation got too dumbed down anyway. :p

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Necromancy Summon Dead Player, the cost is you now have to act as the necromancer's pet for a period of time.

I remember in early MO development Henrik was talking about actually resurrecting an enemy player and having him be a pet for you for a while. But the Necromancy implementation got too dumbed down anyway. :p
Too bad you missed our Aegis-Imperium Sarducaan slave trade that we did back in way back then. Poor Celest followed some dude who bought him for like an hour, only to die while defending his master from a red.

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
Thats some pretty gross roleplay you're into my man.
That was a standard high-level Necromancer spell all the way back in EverQuest, so... would be nothing new.

,,, And there's nothing like a Necro picking up a dead Ranger or Druid and making him do tricks.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Think its always a good idea to have a safety net for getting stuck somewhere, be it by your own mistake or being trapped by a bug. Especially while dead.
As long as it can't be abused I think it'll only be a good thing.

Personally I didn't find the jungle that hard to navigate, but I did spend a lot of time in it and my memory of it is old. First time going from the islands in the SW of below meduli to getting back to bakti was tricky from what i remember but it wasn't too big of a deal other than extremely time consuming, but if i ended up there dead? And haven't been there before AND didn't have a plan to be going there? Oof. It's a nice long trek and the mo1 screen effect and sounds while dead is not helping.

Even with a good psyche character or with a horse its a really terrible situation to end up STUCK in as a newbie.

I remember we dared one of our newbies to jump off the waterfall and find his way back through the jungle. He wandered around for an hour or two. I think Spadar went down there on his horse and had to try and find the guy to finally get him out.

Zbuciorn

Jun 3, 2020
Having possibility of going to home town will make forming and regrouping pvp roaming teams easier and that is coolest part of gameplay in MO.If we can select our hometown once a week or so it would not be the way of fast travel but it could help to form local militias and create communities based not on guilds but territorial identification.