Potential fix for game freezes

Lumos

Jan 4, 2022
After months of biting the edge of my desk, I think I have managed to resolve the type of freezes I myself was experiencing.

When you install a new disk, reinstall your OS or swap around your hardware, windows 10 and 11 is able to automatically reassign a new pagefile (this is like an extra ram dump file) on one of your storage devices - if you are unlucky it may have selected an HDD.
On my system, it turns out that apart from the pagefile I had assigned on one of my SSD's, windows also assigned my last installation of a 3TB HDD volume storage as a pagefile, and this was reaching 100% load whenever the game had been running for a while, or got very busy, which makes your GPU stop rendering and your cpu start cycling while waiting for the HDD to load stuff back into the actual RAM.

Below is a picture guide for anyone unfamiliar with the settings menu to change your pagefile size and location.

Open your Settings menu and search for "advanced system settings"

1652152967190.png

Select the "Advanced" tab and click "Settings"

1652153050081.png

Click "Change"

1652153087996.png

Untik the top box "Automatically manage.."

1652153110207.png

Make sure only one drive is selected as a page file, and make doubly sure to select an SSD or NVME SSD for this purpose if you have one (if not, select your fastest RPM hard drive). Use a custom size like mine above, preferably 14000 MB max size, or allow windows to allocate on this disk, click "Set" and "OK", then restart PC.

This has made the actual freezes stop on my rig and client, but the game will still stutter sometimes when loading assets/passing nodelines etc. It is a completely different experience.

Hope this helps someone :)

Gabriel

Feb 12, 2022
For anyone else watching this. And you do not have an SSD.
I recommend not to do this, if you have no idea why it works or how it works.

Chances of memory leaks and fragmentations on an HDD is very likely to happen.
You would get good performance at first, but then you'd be fucked up to the wazoo.

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
I had a similar problem for quite some months, wasn't a frequent occurrence but when it did happen it was annoying. The whole system would freeze and nothing I can do except hold down the power button until the system turned off.

What was interesting was that it wasn't just happening with MO2, but EVE Online as well which is far less demanding in system specs.

I recently updated my graphics drivers and the problem seemed to have gone away, for now at least.

Reactions: Najwalaylah