Poll: Add keymappings for all 4 attack and all 4 block directions

Should key mappings be added to trigger all 4 directions for both attacks and blocks?

• Yes

Votes: 19 90.5%
  • No (Please explain below)

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
In the most recent patch, there is a toggle to enable attack keys to charge attacks. This allows for example V and Left Alt (by default) to charge an overhead and thrust attack (instead of just act as a modifier).

My request is that all 4 attack directions and all 4 block directions be mappable to different keys which will fully execute the attack/block without need of a mouse click (similar to how overhead and thrust are able to be charged with the key alone now). Mordhau has this functionality and many people coming from there expect it (ie mapping attacks blocks to different mouse muttons on a gamer mouse with lots of buttons). Giving the ability to just do this with 2 of the 8 main combat actions is somewhat of a tease for them and actually just makes it harder for them to adjust if they enable it. Mapping to buttons allows for precision in actions that mouse directions don't afford and allows your attack directions/block to be separate from where you are walking/looking/facing.

Is this something others want/can anyone foresee any issues, given that it's already possible with overhead/thrust attacks?

Last edited:
Reactions: Svaar

Svaar

Nov 4, 2020
Russia/Moscow
In the most recent match, there is a toggle to enable attack keys to charge attacks. This allows for example V and Left Alt (by default) to charge an overhead and thrust attack (instead of just act as a modifier).

My request is that all 4 attack directions and all 4 block directions be mappable to different keys. Mordhau has this functionality and many people coming from there expect it (ie mapping attacks blocks to different mouse muttons on a gamer mouse with lots of buttons). Giving the ability to just do this with 2 of the 8 main combat actions is somewhat of a tease for them. Mapping to buttons allows for precision in actions that mouse directions don't afford and allows your attack directions to be separate from where you are walking/looking.

Is this something others want/can anyone foresee any issues, given that it's already possible with overhead/thrust attacks?
I said this before, it would be perfect. the block should be on the buttons, since it does not work correctly, using the buttons it was possible to neutralize these problems. Beats can be left as they are, but the best option is to assign beats to buttons too.

Charizard

Jan 1, 2021
It's too easy to cheat using AHK scripts with this system. Gloria Victis has this problem with people macroing attacks.

Reactions: BigBadWolf

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
It's too easy to cheat using AHK scripts with this system. Gloria Victis has this problem with people macroing attacks.

Not sure I understand. If the combat system is so simple that a series of attacks/blocks works in all cases (ie it can just be in a script) that sounds like a serious issue with the system.

If you're suggesting that allowing hotkeys makes it easier for someone to automate the entire combat system, it seems like the huge barrier is being able to read what's happening on the screen and automate responses, which sounds much more difficult (and of course would have to pass any anti-cheat software). If someone is at that level, I would suggest that for example making "left swing" be the key "K" rather than click and mouse movement would not be a big difference for someone who is able to do that scripting.

Right now you could simply do movement keys and do click + movement key do the exact same thing, this just removes the click (and needing to move the character).

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
Darthus, do you know what a euro feint is

No, but explaining it and your point in one post might be more efficient rather than every post having the max length of a tweet. =)

Here's what I came up with after a Google:

So essentially it's a specific combination of attacks/mouse movements that are hard to block. Is your idea that keys (as opposed to mouse click and movement, which can currently be used for all 4 attacks) would make this easier to do?

Again, I submit, I cannot think of a mechanical difference between I push and hold "K" to do an overhead attack vs "I push W to move forward then left click and hold", which is the current system, except that the latter requires two actions and results in a potentially unwanted action (moving forward slightly). Both could be scripted directly (Push K for x seconds vs Push W, then Left Click for x seconds.) It's just the former is much more direct.

Plus, there's the remaining argument that the most popular template of MO2's combat (Mordhau, which is very ping dependent) contains this control scheme and new players will likely expect it.

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
I don't see a problem with more ways to customize your gameplay.
you can bring moves you can not do atm. for example moving while attack/block without mouse or movement stop in any situation.

Rudakov

May 31, 2020
Just today was looking in settings, how to bind block for a keyboard

Last edited: