Please Provide Post .73 Patch Combat Feedback

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Obviously this is but the first step in a changed combat system so no expectations for it to be perfect and its also been out for less than a day so perhaps there's stuff I/we are overlooking.

Thoughts:

A) Combat is overall slower due to swings hanging in the air longer, making it much more defensive than what it was previously (I actually kinda liked it before)

B) Since we've increased how quick a swing charges and then increased how long it hangs in the air. The damage to time charging ratio has increased in other words more damage for less time charging. The charge damage should be readjusted to keep equilibrium with how it was pre patch.

Similar to a math equation you can't divide on one side of the equation and then leave the other side of the equation untouched.

That's all for now since that is all that has really changed.

Also the weapons need to be tweaked as swords are the only thing really feeling viable right now. Can you please provide videos of weapons or suggestions on how they should swing.

Conclusion really just looking for what it was prepatch with some sort of ping normalization.

Last edited:
Reactions: PatWins

PatWins

May 28, 2020
I would have more to say if we had some sort of ping balancing function in game. Until that happens, I will probably hold off on giving feedback in regard to charge/swing speeds.

However, I personally think faster charges and slower swings will do wonders for the game once fine tuned. Allowing players to react to the swing instead of just the windup has already done wonders for my gameplay experience. Not only has it increased my ability to parry EU players, it has also removed instances of being hit through my block.

The only downside is that EU parrywalls are even more invincible than before. This is where I think the ping patch will come into play and allow us to tweak speeds more accurately.

I have never fought an NA player that felt impossible to hit. I know after 500 hours it is far from impossible to land hits on me. If we can make every player feel mortal like this then we can truly begin to make accurate suggestions.

Hoping for the best!

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
Honestly combat feels terrible this patch. The new slow swing animations feel like they turned up the latency swing delay x1000. Everything feels so slow now and floaty. They just had to remove the turncap...

Also parrying after swings is worse now than before with the queue. You now can really literally parry mid swing. And its the opposite for attacks, theres now a bigger pause before you can start a new swing. This all adds to the parry whore meta.

On a positive note, the animations now blend nicely together. Thats cool.

I would have more to say if we had some sort of ping balancing function in game. Until that happens, I will probably hold off on giving feedback in regard to charge/swing speeds.

However, I personally think faster charges and slower swings will do wonders for the game once fine tuned. Allowing players to react to the swing instead of just the windup has already done wonders for my gameplay experience. Not only has it increased my ability to parry EU players, it has also removed instances of being hit through my block.

The only downside is that EU parrywalls are even more invincible than before. This is where I think the ping patch will come into play and allow us to tweak speeds more accurately.

I have never fought an NA player that felt impossible to hit. I know after 500 hours it is far from impossible to land hits on me. If we can make every player feel mortal like this then we can truly begin to make accurate suggestions.

Hoping for the best!
Even if they normalize ping, the overall feel of combat is awful now. They should have done that first. And Im not really sure they can just put 100 ms extra on every eu player

In MO1 the faster based combat made it possible for aggresive and defensive playstyles to be balanced. I only ever got that feeling of fighting a parrywall when dueling very good eu players with steel weapons, but with cron nobody was impossible to hit.

Reactions: Teknique

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Honestly combat feels terrible this patch. The new slow swing animations feel like they turned up the latency swing delay x1000. Everything feels so slow now and floaty. They just had to remove the turncap...

Also parrying after swings is worse now than before with the queue. You now can really literally parry mid swing. And its the opposite for attacks, theres now a bigger pause before you can start a new swing. This all adds to the parry whore meta.

On a positive note, the animations now blend nicely together. Thats cool.

Even if they normalize ping, the overall feel of combat is awful now. They should have done that first. And Im not really sure they can just put 100 ms extra on every eu player

In MO1 the faster based combat made it possible for aggresive and defensive playstyles to be balanced. I only ever got that feeling of fighting a parrywall when dueling very good eu players with steel weapons, but with cron nobody was impossible to hit.
Yup just made this suggestion myself to Henrik to invert that. Restore the ability to flurry and increase the time it takes to parry after a swing.