Please dont ruin the logout system

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
I looked at the roadmap and saw a hint of the dreaded logout mechanic change. I'm posting this in hopes that other people agree and can change SV's mind on it. At least what was proposed months ago, was that reds wont be able to log out in the wild, or will take a very long time to disappear. This will be game breaking for casual roaming. The bigger world makes travel much more time consuming. Just traveling to a area takes a lot of time. If you have to log out and cant, you are totally screwed. Many people wont go out on a roam or assorted dungeon run ect if they may need to log out and cant. Some people also wont go on a roam at all if they know they have to ride back for 30 minutes + just so they can log out. It will have virtually 0 benefit for gameplay. All it will do is make the game more tedious than it already is. when people have to buy the game and sub to it, just so they can have more tedium.

The only borderline decent arguments for the logout change are logging with boulders and combat logging. But these can easily be fixed without ruining logout mechanics.

Boulders- Just make it so you cant logout with boulders in your inventory, and if you crash with them your character stays there and doesnt disappear (but you cna log back in to it obviously).

Combat logging - Just make the logout timer 1-5 mins in the wild.

If I'm lucky though the logout changes are something totally different lol.

Kelzyr

Sep 22, 2020
Boulders- Just make it so you cant logout with boulders in your inventory, and if you crash with them your character stays there and doesnt disappear (but you cna log back in to it obviously).

Another option could be that certain items (like boulders) should just drop to the ground if you logout or crash with them (when your character disappears). Treat it similar to a droploot bag so it only lasts 5 minutes. Should be punishing enough to stop you from solo boulder running and avoids boulder holders.

Reactions: Goltarion and Jatix

Xunila

May 28, 2020
Germany
The target logout system is fast logout in an inn or in a house. And long time logout with character standing in the world after logout in the wild. I hope the system will not become too bad when you are logging out in the wild and usually will be dead when logging in.

D

Dracu

I have no idea how longer logout timers should improve gameplay. If they make loging out of the game tedious, why bother logging in ;)

Reactions: cerqo and Finnley

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
I'm pretty sure the purpose it to make it so people don't log out by chests, inside dungeons, inside enemy keeps, etc.

Logging out by these places in MO1 was a huge issue as it made it very hard to pick chests because people had them on a timer and would log in just to pick them and log back out. I remember killing a guy in the Sator dungeon who was loaded.

Of course we need more details on how exactly it's going to work. Hopefully its not tedious. But serves a good purpose.

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
I'm pretty sure the purpose it to make it so people don't log out by chests, inside dungeons, inside enemy keeps, etc.

Logging out by these places in MO1 was a huge issue as it made it very hard to pick chests because people had them on a timer and would log in just to pick them and log back out. I remember killing a guy in the Sator dungeon who was loaded.

Of course we need more details on how exactly it's going to work. Hopefully its not tedious. But serves a good purpose.
Yes these are issues. But I feel like theres fixes though that could hurt normal gameplay less.

Like putting more mobs at chests that will kill you while your logging in, or even making no log out zones where if you log out you don't disappear.

As I understand it you will be able to place a camp site and use that to log out, so you don't need to travel far to log out safely.
This could be ok if implemented well but also has some risks, like the campsite getting destroyed, how annoying is it to make, ect. So I feel like its most likely not going to be a fun change.

Reactions: cerqo

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
or even making no log out zones where if you log out you don't disappear.
I mean thats the best case scenario right? But do you really trust SV to know what all should be considered a "no log out zone"?

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
henrik mentioned before that your character will stay in game and be vulnerable for a time even after you logout which is something i really hope they dont do. at least give the option to semi-afk for the 5 minutes or whatever time frame it would be that you would remain vulnerable before disconnecting the client at the same time you disappear from the game world so if someone stumbles across your sleeping body during that time you can defend yourself.

i can understand remaining in game for a time if you crash your client or otherwise disconnect inappropriately.

-barcode

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Boulders are not in to make this needed. Houses are not in. And honestly, even with houses, I think this expanded map needs a few more little places with:

Bank
Magic Vendor
Utility Vendor
Equipment Vendor
Equerry <- This one is REALLY important

And to have places that currently lack any of these things like Jungle and Cave camp receive them.

Once all these things are implemented is the proper time to discuss the merits of a system where you stay logged in when logged out if you don't find a place to sleep. Because this map is WAY too big to consider it without these.

TL : DR - If you didn't learn your lesson from the horsebag debacle, get all the systems we would need to reasonably find a place to log out in, before you implement harsh logout systems. This is WAY too early to be talking about this, and I would take it off the roadmap.

Last edited:
Reactions: cerqo and Jatix

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
As I understand it you will be able to place a camp site and use that to log out, so you don't need to travel far to log out safely.

I could get behind this so long as your campsite is indestructible. The one thing I can actually see this mechanic helping is the dynamic I've seen in some big alliance vs. alliance fights "Everyone log out here" after winning a fight. Having a visible camp that says something like "PlayerName's campfire" tells everyone. "Oh PlayerName logged out right here next to blast furnace. Huh, so did 20 other members of their alliance. You think these 21 guys might just decide to log in next time we start using blast furnace?"

Of course a mechanic like this would need maximum campsite durations or the map would be littered with campsites of people who logged out and never logged back in. Especially around newb towns.

Another big thing I would love to see is friendly wagons and ships functioning as logout points with the players being logged in at the location of that vehicle next time they log on. This would of course come with the risk that if you log on and the ship you were on got sunk you log in dead. But you make that choice when you decide to trust the guys controlling the ship/wagon with your fate.

Reactions: Jatix

Speznat

May 28, 2020
Tindrem
wolfszeit.online
I looked at the roadmap and saw a hint of the dreaded logout mechanic change. I'm posting this in hopes that other people agree and can change SV's mind on it. At least what was proposed months ago, was that reds wont be able to log out in the wild, or will take a very long time to disappear. This will be game breaking for casual roaming. The bigger world makes travel much more time consuming. Just traveling to a area takes a lot of time. If you have to log out and cant, you are totally screwed. Many people wont go out on a roam or assorted dungeon run ect if they may need to log out and cant. Some people also wont go on a roam at all if they know they have to ride back for 30 minutes + just so they can log out. It will have virtually 0 benefit for gameplay. All it will do is make the game more tedious than it already is. when people have to buy the game and sub to it, just so they can have more tedium.

The only borderline decent arguments for the logout change are logging with boulders and combat logging. But these can easily be fixed without ruining logout mechanics.

Combat logging - Just make the logout timer 1-5 mins in the wild.

If I'm lucky though the logout changes are something totally different lol.
you can logout if you have a campfire with you out in the wild, chill.

I think henrik already thoguht that out. We must look how they implement it. Maybe we are here jsut over reacting xD
and in real its not so bad.

Xunila

May 28, 2020
Germany
you can logout if you have a campfire with you out in the wild, chill.

I already lost a horse when I logged out somewhere in the jungle sitting on the horse. It got killed when I logged in again, and I didn't know (or didn't noticed) that a horse has to be stabled when logging out. But there is no equerry in the jungle camp and even more no equerry in the complete jungle.