Player stamina while Mounted

Woody

Apr 4, 2021
Player stamina has no real impact while on horse back other than Mounted Archery. Even then it's negligible.

I suggest we add stamina drain to the player proportional to the stamina drain of the horse, e.g. in gears 3 or 4.

From there, make the current stamina level increase or decrease the player's ability to resist being knocked off their horse (+ or - additional resistances to knockdown via skills).

Finally, add more ways to dismount players off their horses, keeping blunt damage as the primary method even at high stamina levels of the mounted player:
  1. Blunt damage (possible to dismount at high levels of stamina)
  2. Earthquake (possible to dismount at medium levels of stamina)
  3. Pierce Damage including arrows (possible to dismount at lower levels of stamina)
All dismount thresholds should scale off the damage done by the damage source. So to dismount via pierce damage while the target is at low stamina, you'd still need to hit them hard with pierce damage.

EDIT WHY?
  • It adds a higher skill cap to mounted gameplay.
  • It adds a logical path for other dismount mechanics to exist directly proportional to the players stamina management in a fight.
  • It adds value to attributes and stats that give stamina and stamina regen for MC players.
  • Gives Dex a higher value in mounted builds given the strength of wheelchair builds currently.

Last edited:

Chef

Sep 17, 2021
Why.... this would make no sense. The player is riding the horse, not the other way around. The horse is the only thing getting tired from running.

Woody

Apr 4, 2021
Why.... this would make no sense. The player is riding the horse, not the other way around. The horse is the only thing getting tired from running.

If this is a "realism" argument, are you suggesting it requires no physical effort to ride a horse at speed?

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Chef

Sep 17, 2021
If this is a "realism" argument, are you suggesting it requires no physical effort to ride a horse at speed?
Part realism, part game experience. What would there to be gained by making the player manage two stamina bars being drained by the same action? Why not just implement everything you said based on mount stamina? Also, having dismount chance based off of stamina is ridiculous considering it's already based on numerous other factors... Making stamina one of those variables makes very little intuitive sense.

Woody

Apr 4, 2021
Part realism, part game experience. What would there to be gained by making the player manage two stamina bars being drained by the same action? Why not just implement everything you said based on mount stamina? Also, having dismount chance based off of stamina is ridiculous considering it's already based on numerous other factors... Making stamina one of those variables makes very little intuitive sense.
  • It adds a higher skill cap to mounted gameplay.
  • It adds a logical path for other dismount mechanics to exist directly proportional to the players stamina management in a fight.
  • It adds value to attributes and stats that give stamina and stamina regen for MC players.
  • Gives Dex a higher value in mounted builds given the strength of wheelchair builds currently.

Evelyn

Jan 6, 2021
imo stam should either not regenerate at all or regenerate very slowly from horseback. There needs to be more limiting factors on MA.

Woody

Apr 4, 2021
imo stam should either not regenerate at all or regenerate very slowly from horseback. There needs to be more limiting factors on MA.

Agreed. I'd be happy if maybe in gear 1 or 2 it's a slow regen much like it is for the horse stam now. Not to forget stam reserves and therefore the requirement every so often to potential dismount and rest/campfire/eat etc.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
When I saw the title I immediately thought about how stam shouldn't regen as well on a horse, especially while moving. For balance reasons.

As a fortunate side effect its realistic, too. As an avid western rider in my younger years I can tell you that riding a horse is fucking exhausting. Sitting in a way on a horse that lets you rest a bit is really hard and dangerous, and you still subconsciously strain yourself to keep your balance and to not fuck up the horse's movements.

Reactions: Woody

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
Part realism
Realistically, there are saddle muscles on the legs of those who ride frequently. You can get tired, riding, even if it doesn't take much strength to do the particular riding you do. True, you may not get as tires as the horse.

I'd rather try to support your argument for
"Why not just implement everything you said based on mount stamina? "
without trying to base it on realism, or not.

Laylah's W Sig by Rathius_X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett.png

Tzone

May 16, 2021
The other stuff is a maybe but no stam regen while on horse back is pretty dumb. Its like saying you can only fight for so many arrow shots or swings then you need to get of and stand still for 30 seconds. It might be great for foot fighters who can stand still conveniently to get stam back but it a great inconvenience on mounted. Also with mounted v mounted combat if you dont kill them with your stam bar then you are dead or just have to get lucky that they run out. Or both of them just get off and take out long bows when stam is out. Doesnt make for interesting gameplay for mounted.

From real world experience riding horses stamina does not come into play, I do not think the path for the argument should be tied to realism. You are literally sitting there it takes not effort, even if you have to ride bear back or hang off the side its not stamina which would keep you on. You just balance off the horse.

Ive ridden horses extensively through national forest, through rivers, in the swamp, into brush had horses climb logs, and even when to McDonalds drive throught. Its not exhausting, you legs get a workout because of the stand you are in for 90% of the lit day. But that is in no way a stamina thing or impacts your riding performance. You wont even notice unless you sit down in a real chair.

My main issue with the gameplay side is that the dismounter is relying on luck while the mountee is just having to keep stam up. In this system you just have to guess if the mounteds stam is low.

Woody

Apr 4, 2021
The other stuff is a maybe but no stam regen while on horse back is pretty dumb. Its like saying you can only fight for so many arrow shots or swings then you need to get of and stand still for 30 seconds. It might be great for foot fighters who can stand still conveniently to get stam back but it a great inconvenience on mounted. Also with mounted v mounted combat if you dont kill them with your stam bar then you are dead or just have to get lucky that they run out. Or both of them just get off and take out long bows when stam is out. Doesnt make for interesting gameplay for mounted.

Yes you're right, it would need to be manageable while still being mobile. How I foresaw it was:

Gear 1: Regen equivalent to standing still
Gear 2: Regen equivalent to running, and apply the combat manoeuvring stam regen when in combat mode
Gear 3: 1/2 equal to sprinting
Gear 4: Equal to sprinting?

Last edited:

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
Honestly just sounds annoying. There was a bug for awhile that didn't let your stam come back while mounted. It guaranteed your death. A mage could just casually melt you while you could do nothing. Not fun gameplay at all. With this gigantic map we are going to have mounted online whether we like it or not, and with the 1 character limit, SV had better make mounted fighting fun, and I would prefer they make it to where you didn't have to specialize completely into mounted and instead that fights that begin mounted become footfights at the end. Unfortunately, they don't seem to agree, so mounted fighting needs to be fun, not annoying.

Reactions: Tzone

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
I like the suggestion. I added this recommendations to my huge feedback video about the combat system. I will make a new thread for this in the next 20 min.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Honestly just sounds annoying. There was a bug for awhile that didn't let your stam come back while mounted. It guaranteed your death. A mage could just casually melt you while you could do nothing. Not fun gameplay at all. With this gigantic map we are going to have mounted online whether we like it or not, and with the 1 character limit, SV had better make mounted fighting fun, and I would prefer they make it to where you didn't have to specialize completely into mounted and instead that fights that begin mounted become footfights at the end. Unfortunately, they don't seem to agree, so mounted fighting needs to be fun, not annoying.
I like the idea. Mounted is however pretty boring to a lot of foot fighters. I can see why. It would hard to make the larger aspects of mounted gameplay more fun since its basic. I think they really need to work on non gimiky counters to mounts that rely on skill.

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
I like the idea. Mounted is however pretty boring to a lot of foot fighters. I can see why. It would hard to make the larger aspects of mounted gameplay more fun since its basic. I think they really need to work on non gimiky counters to mounts that rely on skill.
I agree. I prefer foot fighting as well. There were many months in MO1 where foot fights were practically non existent because people didn't want to walk somewhere looking for a fight. Distances are much farther now, and soon people will be moving away from the few towns they are in into keeps/houses with guild priests, so relying on finding a foot fight in a certain spot will be more chancey, so I think many people will choose to build a character that can fight on mount or foot as long as SV doesn't screw up and make it impossible. Barring that the people who really want to play will make 2 accounts and we will go on with a small population like before.
If, however, they make it really annoying to play mounted and make it to where a character has to be specialized into being mounted, we will have even fewer people. It will be a RP/PVE server then.