Patch 0.0.0.18 - Community Testing Feedback & Suggestions

PatWins

May 28, 2020
Hey everyone, I've spent the weekend collaborating and collecting detailed feedback from 8 of the most dedicated testers in the alpha. Below is a comprehensive list of changes we feel are vital to the enjoyment of the melee combat. This list will be broken down into 3 sections. Critical Bugs, Essential, and Test Suggestions. Would love to hear any and all constructive feedback from the community.

For testing purposes, we feel that having different material iterations of each weapon would provide us with the ability to more thoroughly test the game. Meaning each weapon would require a copy that simulates the fastest material combination in the game as well as the slowest. Many of the systems are entirely reliant on these factors. In order to avoid abuse, each of these weapons could have extremely low durability and would withhold information about materials used. We don't want any spoilers.

Critical Bugs
  • After parrying, normal attacks are triggered instead of intended counter attacks (this is an old one but still very frustrating)
  • Block refresh window is inconsistent and unreliable (standing around with a swing charged waiting to abuse block is NOT FUN) this is not just happening in 1v1's but in group fights as well
  • Refreshing your block currently causes back hits to be blocked instead of dealing full damage (examples of refreshed block and non refreshed below)
  • Shields currently push significantly further than a standard push (If this is intended it may be beneficial to add in the form of an acquired skill to avoid mass exploitation)

Essential
  • In order to make a more fluid and intuitive combat system, we feel that fully charging your swing should equate to full damage. The position of your wind-up should accurately represent the damage charge circle. Fully cocked weapon = full damage
  • In addition to the previous point, damage should scale linearly based off of wind-up time (ex. 0.00s = 10dmg, 0.50s = 13dmg, 1.00s = 16dmg and so on)
  • After Thursday's patch, there have been some serious issues regarding back hits and prediction abuse similar to Mortal Online 1. If prediction improvement is not a possibility, increasing the block radius up to 270 degrees might ease the problem.
    https://giphy.com/gifs/QyzlvDvP7iehd0LDkX

Test Suggestions
  • Most players entering the game have big complaints about weapon collision on other players. At times, it feels too punishing and can kill the momentum of a fight. Would love to see it toned down or even removed for a testing period. Terrain collision is great and should remain in its current state.
  • A very brief delay (0.25s - 0.50s) on blocks after the initial click would be worth testing. Delay should be removed on successful parry to reward skilled play.
  • The current damage reduction on a swing held too long doesn't feel punishing enough. Players are still standing around holding swings until the end of time looking to abuse the block window. Would like to test a more drastic damage reduction.
  • Stamina drain should occur based on weapon weight after holding a swing too long
  • Equipment hits should deal low-moderate damage based on the weight of the attackers weapon (hitting someone's sword with a sledgehammer for 0 damage doesn't feel right)
  • Visual or audio indicators for low stamina (ex. heavy breathing sound or a slight exhaustion animation)
  • An actual "feint" supported by the game instead of cancelling swings
  • Further reduce swing speed of normal swings (not charge speed) so that players are reacting to the swing instead of just the wind-up (this could help with the current block bug)
  • Handle hit damage could use an increase on blunt weapons
  • Further reduce movement speed (might help the server keep up)

Positive Feedback
  • Jump gravity feels perfect
  • Shields feel fun and balanced
  • Increased charge speeds have improved the pace of combat
  • Uncharged swing damage is in a great spot
  • Handle hit reduction feels great on weapons like swords and promotes more skilled play

Keep up the great work guys! I'm confident we can get the combat in a good spot before 2021 if we stay open to improvement.

Last edited:

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Hey everyone, I've spent the weekend collaborating and collecting detailed feedback from 8 of the most dedicated testers in the alpha. Below is a comprehensive list of changes we feel are vital to the enjoyment of the melee combat. This list will be broken down into 3 sections. Critical Bugs, Essential, and Test Suggestions. Would love to hear any and all constructive feedback from the community.

For testing purposes, we feel that having different material iterations of each weapon would provide us with the ability to more thoroughly test the game. Meaning each weapon would require a copy that simulates the fastest material combination in the game as well as the slowest. Many of the systems are entirely reliant on these factors. In order to avoid abuse, each of these weapons could have extremely low durability and would withhold information about materials used. We don't want any spoilers.

Critical Bugs
  • After parrying, normal attacks are triggered instead of intended counter attacks (this is an old one but still very frustrating)
  • Block refresh window is inconsistent and unreliable (standing around with a swing charged waiting to abuse block is NOT FUN) this is not just happening in 1v1's but in group fights as well
  • Refreshing your block currently causes back hits to be blocked instead of dealing full damage (examples of refreshed block and non refreshed below)
  • Shields currently push significantly further than a standard push (If this is intended it may be beneficial to add in the form of an acquired skill to avoid mass exploitation)

Essential
  • In order to make a more fluid and intuitive combat system, we feel that fully charging your swing should equate to full damage. The position of your wind-up should accurately represent the damage charge circle. Fully cocked weapon = full damage
  • In addition to the previous point, damage should scale linearly based off of wind-up time (ex. 0.00s = 10dmg, 0.50s = 13dmg, 1.00s = 16dmg and so on)
  • After Thursday's patch, there have been some serious issues regarding back hits and prediction abuse similar to Mortal Online 1. If prediction improvement is not a possibility, increasing the block radius up to 270 degrees might ease the problem.
    https://giphy.com/gifs/QyzlvDvP7iehd0LDkX

Test Suggestions
  • Most players entering the game have big complaints about weapon collision on other players. At times, it feels too punishing and can kill the momentum of a fight. Would love to see it toned down or even removed for a testing period. Terrain collision is great and should remain in its current state.
  • A very brief delay (0.25s - 0.50s) on blocks after the initial click would be worth testing. Delay should be removed on successful parry to reward skilled play.
  • The current damage reduction on a swing held too long doesn't feel punishing enough. Players are still standing around holding swings until the end of time looking to abuse the block window. Would like to test a more drastic damage reduction.
  • Stamina drain should occur based on weapon weight after holding a swing too long
  • Equipment hits should deal low-moderate damage based on the weight of the attackers weapon (hitting someone's sword with a sledgehammer for 0 damage doesn't feel right)
  • Visual or audio indicators for low stamina (ex. heavy breathing sound or a slight exhaustion animation)
  • Due to increased stamina regeneration in MO2 it may be worth testing a higher punishment for completely stamming out (something like delayed regeneration)
  • An actual "feint" supported by the game instead of cancelling swings
  • Further reduce swing speed of normal swings (not charge speed) so that players are reacting to the swing instead of just the wind-up (this could help with the current block bug)
  • Handle hit damage could use an increase on blunt weapons
  • Further reduce movement speed (might help the server keep up)

Positive Feedback
  • Jump gravity feels perfect
  • Shields feel fun and balanced
  • Increased charge speeds have improved the pace of combat
  • Uncharged swing damage is in a great spot
  • Handle hit reduction feels great on weapons like swords and promotes more skilled play

Keep up the great work guys! I'm confident we can get the combat in a good spot before 2021 if we stay open to improvement.
Good feedback here.

But some points.
The block bug is not new, its been here since atleast the second week of testing. It was just "less obvious" than currently. Something must have been messed up with these charge/swing/blocking changes in the last patch to make the bug happen more and seems like more randomly.
Thing was that before it was either extremes who made it happen (low ping and high ping) it felt like.
Another thing is that before it simply went through the parry as a normal hit and didnt even come up as blocked. You can see this many times in some of my videos where I parry right way before the swing hits and still goes through as full dmg hit.

Lowering speed further will not fix this, that will only dumb the game down even more and make the skill ceiling lower.

I also dont really like lowering speed of swings and charge as that is another place that lowers the skill ceiling immensely. Less time to react = harder = increases skill ceiling.

Standing with swing charged will vaporize once parries are way harder to achieve, so make blocking/parrying harder and people wont stand still with swings charged.

Kavu

Jun 21, 2020
USA

Agreed.
Furthermore, the existing range of RNG to damage is really unnecessary. There's no reason a full charged swing from the same weapon to same part of the body should vary in damage from 9 to 30+
It feels random as hell and doesn't play well into the skill-based decision-dependent combat we're looking for. I personally don't believe RNG in damage has any place in game, but if it must be here, tone it down. Reduce the variance.

Most players entering the game have big complaints about weapon collision on other players. At times, it feels too punishing and can kill the momentum of a fight. Would love to see it toned down or even removed for a testing period. Terrain collision is great and should remain in its current state.

The big thing is going to be making certain objects not collide with your weaponry. The leaves of a bush touching the tip of your sword shouldn't disable it. Right now standing in a thicc bush makes you a lesser god.

• Due to increased stamina regeneration in MO2 it may be worth testing a higher punishment for completely stamming out (something like delayed regeneration)

These are already in the game actually. You regain stam slower if you completely stam out, and when you get close you start huffing pretty heavy.
It's also worth remembering that we're all wearing "0 weight" armor right now. So we're essentially naked. I can't imagine stam regen and expenditure will be the same in plate that actually has weight.

Kavu

Jun 21, 2020
USA
I also dont really like lowering speed of swings and charge as that is another place that lowers the skill ceiling immensely. Less time to react = harder = increases skill ceiling.

I would agree with you, if it weren't for the fact latency forces North American players (As well as others, like Australians, Asians, and those who just have below average net) to become perfect mind readers in order to parry anything a competent European throws at us. It doesn't feel like a skill at this point, there's nothing to learn, you do what you're supposed to in order to avoid taking damage, and you still get smacked for it.

Sick of putting up a block as the enemy is winding up, only to watch it come straight through my block because it had already swung true before even being wound up on my end.

As much as it pains me to say it, I think we need to reduce the importance of reaction time as a skill in the set. Replace it with something else. Something a little more thoughtful.

D

Dracu

Good feedback here.

But some points.
The block bug is not new, its been here since atleast the second week of testing. It was just "less obvious" than currently. Something must have been messed up with these charge/swing/blocking changes in the last patch to make the bug happen more and seems like more randomly.
Thing was that before it was either extremes who made it happen (low ping and high ping) it felt like.
Another thing is that before it simply went through the parry as a normal hit and didnt even come up as blocked. You can see this many times in some of my videos where I parry right way before the swing hits and still goes through as full dmg hit.

Lowering speed further will not fix this, that will only dumb the game down even more and make the skill ceiling lower.

Standing with swing charged will vaporize once parries are way harder to achieve, so make blocking/parrying harder and people wont stand still with swings charged.
I honestly cant stand the current combat bugs. The more i play it the more i notice them and the more frustrating it is.

Hits going trough blocks is something thats making me crazy right now aswell as the blocked hits issue and prediction abuse.

I dont feel like these things are skill they are just diceroll.

It feels like even good pvp fights are decided by the server if it accept your block r not, i just hate that and many will too. This will lead to massive negative reviews on steam in the end.

I feel like if the current system produces these dicerollish things it should be fixed to a point where its not inconsistent or random.

If that mean slowing the combat down iam fine with that. The current dueling is more about attack animation glithing and counter trading anyways.

The core of that wont change i guess.

Kavu

Jun 21, 2020
USA
Listen to Dracu. Draculina is already skilled on top of being a master of abusing the bugs in game atm. Even while slapping every last one of us with the current system, the German hero still fights for a better future.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Good feedback here.

But some points.

I had the same exception with charges, I like that there is a minimum amount you have to charge it before it does damage. Pretty minor detail compared to some of the much bigger issues above.

Edit: I think you might have been saying the opposite actually. The problem with super fast attacks is the huge ping variance that there is. Eventually you won't be measuring player skill but proximity to the server if things are too fast.

Last edited:

PatWins

May 28, 2020
Agreed.
Furthermore, the existing range of RNG to damage is really unnecessary. There's no reason a full charged swing from the same weapon to same part of the body should vary in damage from 9 to 30+
It feels random as hell and doesn't play well into the skill-based decision-dependent combat we're looking for. I personally don't believe RNG in damage has any place in game, but if it must be here, tone it down. Reduce the variance.

The big thing is going to be making certain objects not collide with your weaponry. The leaves of a bush touching the tip of your sword shouldn't disable it. Right now standing in a thicc bush makes you a lesser god.

These are already in the game actually. You regain stam slower if you completely stam out, and when you get close you start huffing pretty heavy.
It's also worth remembering that we're all wearing "0 weight" armor right now. So we're essentially naked. I can't imagine stam regen and expenditure will be the same in plate that actually has weight.
I should have clarified. The breath effect should be able to be heard by other players. Would add a layer of polish and intuitive play for newcomers.

Kavu

Jun 21, 2020
USA
I should have clarified. The breath effect should be able to be heard by other players. Would add a layer of polish and intuitive play for newcomers.

Nonetheless, it should also be more visually clear on the exhausted player's end. You can't expect players to rely entirely on a small audio cue when there's all the noise going on in battle. Heck, the community is pretty small, and not all of us even can hear in the first place.

PatWins

May 28, 2020
Nonetheless, it should also be more visually clear on the exhausted player's end. You can't expect players to rely entirely on a small audio cue when there's all the noise going on in battle. Heck, the community is pretty small, and not all of us even can hear in the first place.
Good point. I'm all in for audio, visual or both.

D

Dracu

Mortal online is not an esports game.

Its a mmo with 4 direction combat, magic and bows and horses with full loot and more. Melee Combat should feel fluent and not require esport reaction timing if you ask me.

I personally would rather see fighting and winning due to endurance and clever use of environment, weapon advantages, movement and even if i dislike the concept but animation tricking too.

I wouldnt like to tell new players you need -good ping
- dope af reaction time.
- learn how to animation glitch/twitching
-Learn how to abuse block delay
-Learn how to abuse prediction
to be sufficient.

I myself am really barely in the reaction time and only on good days and still have so much to learn after 100hrs playtime.

I think the points mentioned above are great and should really be tested cause they can improve the game for everyone.

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Agreed.

Random things is bad I completely agree.

Bush leaves needs to go as collision but I feel the harder side of soft objects like smaller branches/banners/etc might instead of complete collision reduce swing speed if possible ofc. say 10-20% range.

No, we are not naked without armor weight. Henrik has answered me several times now that we in current state simulate steel suits with steel weapons even if not all features are in like crafting where I imagine weight comes into play regarding gear.
I would agree with you, if it weren't for the fact latency forces North American players (As well as others, like Australians, Asians, and those who just have below average net) to become perfect mind readers in order to parry anything a competent European throws at us. It doesn't feel like a skill at this point, there's nothing to learn, you do what you're supposed to in order to avoid taking damage, and you still get smacked for it.

Sick of putting up a block as the enemy is winding up, only to watch it come straight through my block because it had already swung true before even being wound up on my end.

As much as it pains me to say it, I think we need to reduce the importance of reaction time as a skill in the set. Replace it with something else. Something a little more thoughtful.
Ofc not make it that far, but as low reaction time as possible. I am confident that Patwins will still be beast at blocking with lower reaction times. We should balance changes and how hard things is by watching the best in their trade and Patwins is as solid as any EU players currently and still from the US.

Tweak it little by little until it feels good. As with all changes imo.
I honestly cant stand the current combat bugs. The more i play it the more i notice them and the more frustrating it is.

Hits going trough blocks is something thats making me crazy right now aswell as the blocked hits issue and prediction abuse.

I dont feel like these things are skill they are just diceroll.

It feels like even good pvp fights are decided by the server if it accept your block r not, i just hate that and many will too. This will lead to massive negative reviews on steam in the end.

I feel like if the current system produces these dicerollish things it should be fixed to a point where its not inconsistent or random.

If that mean slowing the combat down iam fine with that. The current dueling is more about attack animation glithing and counter trading anyways.

The core of that wont change i guess.
I hear you and agree, many things need to be done.

But I know for a fact that simply lowering speed all around is definitely not the way to go. Look at MO as a perfect example.
Then again long standing bugs like this blocking bug only worsened when speed was reduced so that can certainly not be it, something done in the latest patch made it alot worse than it used to be with higher speed.

And imo the game should not be changed based on 1v1 dueling as that is not the game its going to be. Its going to become large scale medieval warfare.
But yes we should also try to have as good as dueling and small scale fighting aswell since most start out alone normally.
Theres a reason most long time testers arent on as much anymore myself included. I only get on to see scenery and group fights atm due to bugs in combat not being prioritized. You do get fed up when the game itself fucks you over all the time.
Mortal online is not an esports game.

Its a mmo with 4 direction combat, magic and bows and horses with full loot and more. Melee Combat should feel fluent and not require esport reaction timing if you ask me.

I personally would rather see fighting and winning due to endurance and clever use of environment, weapon advantages, movement and even if i dislike the concept but animation tricking too.

I wouldnt like to tell new players you need -good ping
- dope af reaction time.
- learn how to animation glitch/twitching
-Learn how to abuse block delay
-Learn how to abuse prediction
to be sufficient.

I myself am really barely in the reaction time and only on good days and still have so much to learn after 100hrs playtime.

I think the points mentioned above are great and should really be tested cause they can improve the game for everyone.
But thats not a reason to have each area being hard to learn and master.

We are not talking esports here, im way past my prime and still feel its on the slower end.

We need animation and attack/block as close to the same for all. Now low ping players dont play animation before attack hits, it needs fine tuning I agree.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rhias and PatWins

Kavu

Jun 21, 2020
USA
Good luck explaining this to a new player.

Let's break this down, keeping in mind it's not even the worst instance of the issues on display here.

First and foremost, a nearly simultaneous hit-trade (sometimes they are actually simultaneous) that looks at first like a hit on both players. Suddenly, after being given feedback that you DID hit, you are then informed you did not, and not only that, but they have received a parry! Now they get a counter attack, which is even faster than the already accelerated swings being lobbed at you. Having fun?

Well it gets better. Anticipating the counter attack you prepare for the parry return. When the swing comes, put up a block in the incredibly narrow fraction of a second window and you've done it! You managed to read and react in split second timing to protect yourself. Except.. no you didn't. You still get hit. Why? Because you lacked the greatest skill one can master. Latency.

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
Good luck explaining this to a new player.
hit detection is done on the client, while block detection is done by the server.

so in this instance:
you hit the other guy (client detected a hit) so it shows on your screen you hit drac, so you send that info to the server (HIT!)
at the same time, drac entered a block state which got registered on the server (but your client doesnt know about this yet)
when your HIT! packet gets to the server, it says "nono, that was actually a parry" and responds with that to your client
your client then shows that it was a parry instead. (at this point, drac's block state had reached your client as well)

i think this can be mitigated by the client waiting for the server's opinion if it was a block or parry or hit, and not playing the audio/graphical blood/sparks for any of them until the authoritative response comes from the server. This may end up feeling clunky, but would eliminate the incorrect audio/graphical cue.

the same happens kinda in reverse for the parry return
you block at the same time drac releases the parry return
the server gets drac's successful hit first because ping time wins, and it registers as a hit
the server then gets your block state packet, but the damage has already been done and it cant rewind time, so it just updates your block state
later you get the notification you got hit from the server

i guess this can bring up discussions on what is most 'fair'. should your hit have counted since you didnt know of drac's block state at the time? what about from drac's point of view where he was clearly blocking on his screen by the time your attack showed up? same for the counter, drac surely registered a clean hit on his screen but you see a clean block on your side.

personally i think SV has made the right choices in this regard, register hits on the client but check blocks on the server. if they change it so hit feedback comes from the server and not both the client and server i think it may help somewhat with getting the correct feedback instead of both the hit and block graphics playing (which happens in duels quite a lot).

-barcode

Kavu

Jun 21, 2020
USA
hit detection is done on the client, while block detection is done by the server.

so in this instance:
you hit the other guy (client detected a hit) so it shows on your screen you hit drac, so you send that info to the server (HIT!)
at the same time, drac entered a block state which got registered on the server (but your client doesnt know about this yet)
when your HIT! packet gets to the server, it says "nono, that was actually a parry" and responds with that to your client
your client then shows that it was a parry instead. (at this point, drac's block state had reached your client as well)

I actually do know all of this already, my point was more on the fact that new players will hear that and say "That's trash dog" and steam review bomb it and move on.

i think this can be mitigated by the client waiting for the server's opinion if it was a block or parry or hit, and not playing the audio/graphical blood/sparks for any of them until the authoritative response comes from the server. This may end up feeling clunky, but would eliminate the incorrect audio/graphical cue.

I said this exact thing to Henrik in Discord, he informed me that he'd rather keep it giving both audio cues, because in his mind an incorrect audio queue followed by a delayed correct audio queue is better than just a delayed audio queue that is correct. It doesn't make any damn sense to me, but hey-
his project.

drac surely registered a clean hit on his screen but you see a clean block on your side.

Funny enough actually, no. Drac actually mentioned after this particular blow that it looked like a block on his end too. I'm sure slowed down on his end, it wasn't, but it was close enough on his end that his eyes in the moment saw me block it, and still nailed me for full damage.

I didn't include our conversations about it in the video, because it was pretty off the cuff and cringe af. Also it'd make it take longer to upload.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
I'm not going to say I told you so, but I do feel slightly entitled to say I called the patch would have the problems it ended up having.

Hopefully this is NOT a sign that we are going back to Mortal online's adjust the block arc 100 times over and do nothing else. I choose to yet again be hopeful and choose to believe that this is just a playerbase incentivized slip up. We will eventually get to the point where adding block arcs again was a good idea. But clearly all the other systems were not ready for this change and that is fine as long as they don't move along without fixing it up and keep working hard on making us a fun combat system that works to some degree for even our higher ping players.

- Personally I find the reduction in player speed to be a good choice.
- Haven't had any testing done with the shields yet so I can' say if I like them or not yet.
- Only thing I've found out is how easy it is to get behind people now which is sort of what I expected to happen, so not surprised.

So for now the current blocking counter is the blocking system itself, by being unreliable.

Hopefully in the future the team can come up with ways that add more to combat that is opposing blocking to add at least another step or arc in the flow of combat. Right now we still have the combat flow of Attack>Block>Counter.

But for now I guess they have to fix the "mess" that they have before they can add anything new, so fixing blocking so it works properly again and so that the arc applies to normal blocking and try to get rid of tricking the prediction system as best they can.

I strongly think using the animation system to trick people is not the way they should go about it, especially as they have put down time and effort into making swings easy to comprehend to make direction blocking work better.
Abusing latency should definitely not even be remotely close to a viable strategy.

Last edited:

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
I said this exact thing to Henrik in Discord, he informed me that he'd rather keep it giving both audio cues, because in his mind an incorrect audio queue followed by a delayed correct audio queue is better than just a delayed audio queue that is correct. It doesn't make any damn sense to me, but hey-
his project.
maybe @Henrik Nyström doesnt know how commonly this double graphic happens in duels? i mean with a 20 ping maybe not so often but bump it to 150 ping and it happens constantly.

-barcode

Rhias

May 28, 2020
I strongly disagree to slowing down weapon speed even further. Right now people parry even my parry attacks.
If you slow down it even further the only way to get a hit through is by doing some abusing of the animation.

Right now hardly anyone uses in duels those swords with > 2kg. Slowing it further down will limit the valid weapons further, and everyone with use the lighter ones.
Also you need to keep in mind that in the finished game there will be craftable weapons, with different speeds. You really want to hear "go grab a flakestone sword, the steel sword is too slow to do duels"?