Votes: 49 86.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 5 8.8%

• Total voters

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
As the title of the thread states. One handed weapons, in my opinion, are bad. They are once again being left behind like they were in MO1 - and this currently shows in the state of what weapons people use.

Yes, I'm aware this is an unfinished product - but combat more and more is being left on the back burner for new content even though this is advertised as a combat alpha. To quote the words of @Sebastian Persson from Discord...

"What is closed combat alpha? The closed combat alpha is a chance for players to test out the game very early into development. It's a alpha focused on only combat and will play more like a regular multiplayer death match. We will use the testers feedback and bug reports to polish up this part of the game before the public can join in. "

Even though we continue to focus more on other things. I'm not complaining about new things, but we need to shift the focus of content for us as players back to what it was originally advertised as - the combat.

As for my point...

I'll go over a few things that are subjective, and objective. For the first half, I will start with the objective things. These are things people can go and test for themselves and get and or see the same results, they are not debatable.

I should also clarify. Spears and daggers are not apart of this conversation. Even though spears can be one handed, and daggers are naturally a one handed weapon; I feel both of these weapons even with their counterparts in MO1 never had much of a balance issue and were actually one of the stronger variants of weapons.

My focus is the one handed sword, the one handed axe, and the one handed mace.

Objective Items:

1.) The reach is shorter.
2.) The hitboxes are smaller / worse.
3.) The handle hitboxes are larger / worse.
4.) The damage is lower.

Subjective Items:

1.) They take, in my opinion, too much stamina to use.
2.) They swing much slower then they should.
3.) Their usefulness is non-existent.

So lets start from the top of the list, and work our way down. This again is all my opinion, but I am more than open to hear varying opinions. It should be preface I've used every weapon so far in MO2, and I've used every weapon in MO1 excluding fist weapons. I have experience in both games, using different materials, armor weights, races for different heights (In MO2) and for different attributes (In MO1).

1. The reach is shorter.

Given they are one handed weapons, this is okay. This is to be expected. But due to their shorter nature, this should in-turn allow the weapons to be more nimble. Faster. Their strength requirements should be re-balanced and looked at, and lowered flat IMO. This would help one handed weapons come out as a choice for speed > damage.

2. The hitboxes are smaller / worse.

Point number #1 has much in common with point number #2. Of course the hitboxes are going to be smaller, but in turn they are much worse. One handed axes are unusable in my opinion, and maces come in right after them. The only one hander that has some usability is the one handed swords. But even still, I feel their hitboxes could be re-adjusted to be a bit larger and less forgiving.

3. The handle hitboxes are larger / worse.

The hitboxes on one handed weapons are god awful. I'm sorry, and I know it will happen, someone will come into the thread and argue "but that means the hitboxes are accurate!!" I would rather have inaccurate handle hitboxes in exchange for better gameplay with one handers, rather than shit gameplay for 'realism' sake. Most people avoid one handed weapons for this reason alone.

4. The damage is lower.

The damage is just flat out lower in one handed weapons. Paired with terrible hitboxes in both the head / handle, as well as lower reach, with near the same stamina usage - even with or without a shield - makes these weapons near obsolete.

5. They take, in my opinion, too much stamina to use.

Yes, I believe one handed weapons take way to much stamina to use. The common argument I hear is that "one handed weapons can use shields though." however, I think from this fact alone does not justify the extreme stamina usage they incur for the 'ability' to use a shield. What if players don't want to use a shield? What if players utilize a lighter shield? They shouldn't balance stamina on weapons simply based off of this, the shield IT SELF should incur said penalty - not the weapon IMO.

6. They swing much slower then they should.

This is due to strength requirements being higher than they need to be, and overall the combat system is slowly being tweaked to increase combat speed overall. But I feel one handed weapons suffer the most currently because of it. Why exchange damage and reach for a worse hitbox and nearly the same swing speed? It just makes the weapon choices much more unappealing.

7. Their usefulness is non-existent.

I feel a culmination of points #1 through #6 make one handed weapons not good.

Opinions?

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Glad you specified swords, axes, and maces. Spears are in a very good spot right now and I think it's very possible to argue they are the best weapon in the game as things stand. Certainly for specific playstyles they are. Daggers aren't in a bad spot either.

I think for the swords, axes, and maces with the possible exception of the largest swords or even the introduction of bastard swords, reach should stay bad. DPS should be very high though.

Given dual-wielding is confirmed (Screenshots of khallard dual-wielding axes on the main page) one-handed weapons have two roles to fill. A compliment to a shield, and dual-wielding.

If the DPS is a bit lower than a 2 hander but still good then that gives two roles. Shield sword/axe/mace are good for getting in people's faces and putting out heavy damage compared to spear if you keep up a consistent attack and land a lot of hits while having the defensive advantage of a shield.

For dual-wielding, they'd be good for getting on a target and melting them with the highest DPS potential of any setup but lacking the range a 2h build could offer.

Reactions: Handsome Young Man

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
Glad you specified swords, axes, and maces. Spears are in a very good spot right now and I think it's very possible to argue they are the best weapon in the game as things stand. Certainly for specific playstyles they are. Daggers aren't in a bad spot either.

I think for the swords, axes, and maces with the possible exception of the largest swords or even the introduction of bastard swords, reach should stay bad. DPS should be very high though.

Given dual-wielding is confirmed (Screenshots of khallard dual-wielding axes on the main page) one-handed weapons have two roles to fill. A compliment to a shield, and dual-wielding.

If the DPS is a bit lower than a 2 hander but still good then that gives two roles. Shield sword/axe/mace are good for getting in people's faces and putting out heavy damage compared to spear if you keep up a consistent attack and land a lot of hits while having the defensive advantage of a shield.

For dual-wielding, they'd be good for getting on a target and melting them with the highest DPS potential of any setup but lacking the range a 2h build could offer.

Yeah honestly spears and daggers could use some minor tweaks to improve their overall animations, among other things. But I feel those specific three weapons really do lack much of an impact currently.

Zbuciorn

Jun 3, 2020
I am using short sword and shield because it looks kind of cool and I like to role-play simple light infantry soldier.
I would like short sword to be easy to use weapon but with low damage and now they rather difficult to utilize.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
I agree to an extend with all of your points. One handed maces can actually be somewhat decent.

Here is how to fix it:

1. base swing speed and stamina usage of the total weight in both hands.
2. increase swing speed of one handed sword handles.
3. increase slashing damage of one handed axe heads.
4. rebalance one handed mace heads with each other

In addition I would increase the slashing damage of two handed axe heads as well. Their damage/weight ratio is not good compared to their hitbox. If something is hard to use, it should be extremely effective in skilled hands.

Also reduce the size of some 2 handed axe heads so you can actually make a viable light two handed steel axe.

Reactions: Zbuciorn

Zbuciorn

Jun 3, 2020
One hand sword durability could be boosted making it more economic option than using long blades.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
We're in a combat alpha, and now is the perfect time for players to experience some changes in their weaponry to test rather then just introducing them then leaving them behind.

If we don't allow one handed weapons to have some strong advantages to make people consider them over two handers, we're going to have another spear dominated meta.

We need weapon variety badly, and what better time to do it then now.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
I haven’t used them much but I find them really annoying to fight against.

They are fast do decent damage have really annoying overhead and left swing animations and can be used with a shield

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
I haven’t used them much but I find them really annoying to fight against.

They are fast do decent damage have really annoying overhead and left swing animations and can be used with a shield

You'll find a difference of fighting against and using them.

The only one handed right now I could justify using is a one handed sword, but even then I feel like their drawbacks extremely outweigh their 'advantages'.

Rhias

May 28, 2020
Spears and swords are fine.

1h axes are basically impossible to hit with. Same for 1h maces but a bit less.

Daggers are fast and their hitbox is OK. But their damage sucks. Probably this changes with weakspot builds...

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
Spears and swords are fine.

1h axes are basically impossible to hit with. Same for 1h maces but a bit less.

Daggers are fast and their hitbox is OK. But their damage sucks. Probably this changes with weakspot builds...

Well, spears aren't one handed weapons - they can just be one handed with shields.

One handed swords honestly still need love IMO.

One handed axes & maces definitely need love.

Daggers are fine.

Reactions: Grudge Bringer

Arthys

Nov 30, 2020
As someone who has decided to use ONLY axes, be it 1h & shield or 2h, I can say I've put in a couple hundred hours of testing them out. Stamina management/ consumption is fine atm. Makes people more aware of how to play. When to atk, press, or block. Imo, this is a skill factor. What i would like to see worked on is the handle box. While placement of your swings should seem realistic, a more forgiving hitbox would greatly benefit axes. After a fight, I go back and look at combat logs, sometimes 75% of attacks that I threw were handle hits. I'm not saying make it like swords, but maybe a little more forgiving?

Reactions: Rhias

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
As someone who has decided to use ONLY axes, be it 1h & shield or 2h, I can say I've put in a couple hundred hours of testing them out. Stamina management/ consumption is fine atm. Makes people more aware of how to play. When to atk, press, or block. Imo, this is a skill factor. What i would like to see worked on is the handle box. While placement of your swings should seem realistic, a more forgiving hitbox would greatly benefit axes. After a fight, I go back and look at combat logs, sometimes 75% of attacks that I threw were handle hits. I'm not saying make it like swords, but maybe a little more forgiving?

In my experience, one handed weapons are extremely more stam intensive. So I'd have to disagree personally on the stamina being okay.

I don't think using the argument of "making the right move" for a stamina issue is also the right approach, as two handed weapons are just more forgiving stamina wise. I know a lot of people will say "but they have shield!" Yeah but they also lack range, damage, and hitbox accuracy.

Also - you're saying 75% of your hits are handle hits, then say maybe make it a little more forgiving. When your damage output could of been 100, it is now 25. (Hypothetically.)

I think we should skip over any kind of realism and focus on the gameplay being good.

Thank you for the feedback, I like different perspectives.

Reactions: Arthys

Arthys

Nov 30, 2020
Yea, but I'm not playing MO because it's easy, ya know? I want it to be as immersive and enjoyable as possible, without sacrificing that little bit of realism. Balancing and tweaking weapons to make them more viable, I agree. And 1h weapons using less stam, makes sense, especially since shield bashing and blocking cost stam already.
"Also - you're saying 75% of your hits are handle hits, then say maybe make it a little more forgiving. When your damage output could of been 100, it is now 25. (Hypothetically.)"
Getting rid of handle hits completely? Nah. It shouldn't be something everybody can just pick up and run with. Sorry if I misunderstood part of your suggestion.

Rhias

May 28, 2020
In my experience, one handed weapons are extremely more stam intensive. So I'd have to disagree personally on the stamina being okay.

I disagree with this. The only time it uses significiant stamina is when you're to close to an enemy and charge the hit through it (in the early alpha builds this was canceling the swing).
And of cause if you're using a heavy shield and block with it. But that isn't exactly the fault of the 1h weapon. :D

Reactions: Arthys

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
I disagree with this. The only time it uses significiant stamina is when you're to close to an enemy and charge the hit through it (in the early alpha builds this was canceling the swing).
And of cause if you're using a heavy shield and block with it. But that isn't exactly the fault of the 1h weapon. :D

No, they just use more stamina. Can test it yourself.

Rhias

May 28, 2020
No, they just use more stamina. Can test it yourself.
Just did it.
2.16kg 1h heavy short vs 2.16kg great blade.
With the charged 1h weapon I'm able to sprint for 19 seconds.
With the charged 2h weapon I'm able to sprint for 29 seconds.

So you're right.

Edit: The 1.03kg Straight Backsword Blade is about the same stamina drain as the 2.16 kg great blade.
Edit2: 2.25kg boar spear is 28 seconds. So a bit more stamina drain than the 2.16 GB. It doesn't matter if the spear is used as 2h weapon or 1h weapon with shield.

Last edited:

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
When I was playing around with heavier weapons I found that by switching to sheild+1h I could stam up and then switch back to the 2h.

But I play a lot more defensively with a shield out. So that probably accounts for why 1h+shield setups feel so stam light.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
Just did it.
2.16kg 1h heavy short vs 2.16kg great blade.
With the charged 1h weapon I'm able to sprint for 19 seconds.
With the charged 2h weapon I'm able to sprint for 29 seconds.

So you're right.

Edit: The 1.03kg Straight Backsword Blade is about the same stamina drain as the 2.16 kg great blade.
Edit2: 2.25kg boar spear is 28 seconds. So a bit more stamina drain than the 2.16 GB. It doesn't matter if the spear is used as 2h weapon or 1h weapon with shield.
I honestly half expected you to actually test it. Good on you for not falling into a common habit of this community being stubborn.

But yeah, one handed weapons drain stamina like crazy. Their stamina usage is not justifiable in my eyes.

Reactions: Rhias

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
Would appreciate any and all help as well getting Henrik and SV to notice these weapon balance threads.

They need to rework a lot of these weapons for them to actually be viable.