Old UO player new MO2

Kalbre

Nov 24, 2021
I recognized the influence of UO after logging on and fell in love immediately. So far I have enjoyed the game. Mages seem to be harder to get built and using compared to other classes and way under powered. I'm concerned that at higher levels this isn't going to change and maybe I should go with another class. Do tamers exist as a class? Such as a mage/tamer build. That use to be OP in UO so I am curious how it is with MO2. So far I am enjoying my time and plan on making this my new home. Just doing a lot of reading and learning more about the game. Glad I found it.

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
Depends who you ask. Someone that gets killed by someones bear will REEE about if on the forum for the rest of their life. Same as someone that gets killed by a mage will reee that mages are soooo OP. I would ignore these people and just use common sense

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
First things first, mages are not OP. Mages are under powered in 1vs1, or if you play alone. They are absolutely terrible for anything solo, pvp or pve. You will get destroyed by just about any other class if you play solo.

They shine in groups though, and become quite powerful when there are multiple mages, especially if they are fat (high damage/low mobility). this is due simply by the fact that magic damage cannot be blocked. Only other mages can use reflect to defend against it. This is why some people complain about mages being OP.

fact is that solo play as a mage is quite terrible.

Icegoten

Jun 12, 2020
Mages seem to be harder to get built and using compared to other classes and way under powered. I'm concerned that at higher levels this isn't going to change and maybe I should go with another class.

I just want to point out there were 12 magic schools planned and we've only gotten 4 of them. While it may take years before we get more eventually the way you build and play a mage will change. With just Ecumenical and Spiritism currently mages aren't very good at solo combat. Perhaps one of the unreleased magic schools will be tailored more towards solo play or it'll come at a combination of spells.

Glad you're enjoying the game and hope to see you in game sometime.

2309173895_preview_mo1 spellbookedited.png

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
First things first, mages are not OP. Mages are under powered in 1vs1, or if you play alone. They are absolutely terrible for anything solo, pvp or pve. You will get destroyed by just about any other class if you play solo.

They shine in groups though, and become quite powerful when there are multiple mages, especially if they are fat (high damage/low mobility). this is due simply by the fact that magic damage cannot be blocked. Only other mages can use reflect to defend against it. This is why some people complain about mages being OP.

fact is that solo play as a mage is quite terrible.

Can we also note that the same people that complain about combat being too slow and that parrying is OP are also the ones that say mages are OP because you can't parry them?

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
I just want to point out there were 12 magic schools planned and we've only gotten 4 of them. While it may take years before we get more eventually the way you build and play a mage will change. With just Ecumenical and Spiritism currently mages aren't very good at solo combat. Perhaps one of the unreleased magic schools will be tailored more towards solo play or it'll come at a combination of spells.

Glad you're enjoying the game and hope to see you in game sometime.

View attachment 2859

Minor correction, we have 2 schools (Ecumentical and Spiritism) out of the 13 Henrik says are planned. There is no "mage" class, but focusing on the current magic schools as others have mentioned definitely has utility in groups and I would argue is more interesting gameplay than a pure melee. Without spiritism there is no Rez in a group, so it's critical for PvE. Powerful healing comes from Ecumenical, as well as a variety of damage spells which have been tuned up in PvE, but yes, soloing as a mage isn't really viable right now.

Then again this is not really a solo game. If you do want to solo as a mage, be a hybrid just so you can at least do something when a mob gets in your face (ie open with magic, fight up close, heal with magic).

Things will only get more and more viable for mages as schools get introduced. Necromancy introducing pets to defend you, staff magic allowing you to fight up close with your staff (purported to be the next two schools).

Kalbre

Nov 24, 2021
Thanks for the replies! There is so much to learn but I think I'm ready. Going to start with a hybrid build light hybrid (Alvarin) with bow/magic. As I learn more about the game and get comfortable, plus have resources turn it into a dex mage build