New Player Experience

D

Deleted member 44

I've been watching some of these streamers/new players play the game for the first time and I just don't know how to fix the new player experience. Gamers these days seem to be so weak minded that as soon as they don't understand something they just give up and never play the game again. How do we as a community retain these new players when they are quitting before they leave Haven?

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021
By not making the game inherently slow and clunky, where the visuals match modern day graphics but play like it's stuck in the 2000's.

I don't think the tutorial needs to be so excessive, but it also doesn't need to be devoid of information to let players figure stuff out.

I appreciate the idea of Haven, but honestly the MO1 version of it was far superior in my eyes. I absolutely detest the MO2 Haven.

I could spout ideas but they are lost on SV so. IDK, Henrik already knows everything so we're both just passengers on this experience. Just wait to see what they do, good or bad. :rolleyes:

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
Idk I think it's just there are more choices available faster now. Before if you bought a game and you didn't like it you were kind of stuck with it

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
There is nothing they can do to make these people have the experience they are wanting. Its cool to meme on games these days and a niche MMO like MO is prime for it.

They just need to continue making the game for people who actually enjoy it. Fuck trying to appease the normies. It'll never happen.

Obviously things need improved, but the typical Twitch viewer won't care what they do. And if their Twitch daddy says its a bad game...its a bad game.

Sklore

Nov 26, 2021
As a newb. It needs a tutorial on how to restart. Force the player into a situation before they have a bank, before they have a reserves, where they die. And then provide some explanation about how to approach starting from nothing. I've played all sorts of survival games and you always start with sticks and rocks. You can't do that in this game because you don't have a tool. So a tutorial that says go out and look for these things and then sell them might help new players once their hut the wlreal world and get farmed in the graveyard for the first time.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
As a newb. It needs a tutorial on how to restart. Force the player into a situation before they have a bank, before they have a reserves, where they die. And then provide some explanation about how to approach starting from nothing. I've played all sorts of survival games and you always start with sticks and rocks. You can't do that in this game because you don't have a tool. So a tutorial that says go out and look for these things and then sell them might help new players once their hut the wlreal world and get farmed in the graveyard for the first time.

100% agree. The way to think about the tutorial should be, by the time they're done with Haven, are they primed to have the common starting experiences in Nave? What they've done is great, but for example, aftrer having you kill a couple zombies, they should send you at a camp of bandits, both to give you expeirence with actual sword combat (and maybe not see it as so clunky), and perhaps structure it so you get overwhelmed and killed, lose your stuff and show you how to get it back easily.

That experience of fighting something like a real player, dying, losing your stuff and getting back on your feet is ESSENTIAL for people to not just bounce off the game once they get to the mainland.

Reactions: Najwalaylah