Neftan's "Hunger Mechanic" Suggestion

Neftan

May 28, 2020
My Mind
Hunger and thirst have become staples in modern survival games, and are present in many games that predate the modern genres.

While the cooking system in MO1 was vast, the eating and drinking mechanics were poor, and the reserves mechanic was annoying, hard for new players to understand, and very time consuming when messed up.

Food should play a vital role. Honestly - I would prefer for this portion of the game to get less forgiving, though rethought out to be less annoying. Food and hydration should be something your character needs. Hydration should be obtained via fruit or liquids, particularly water, of course, and it should be more intricate than just grabbing fist full of water.

This makes travelling need to be thought out, and puts a small time limit or survival aspect into play. If you dont pack rations, you need to know your environment. It promotes situational awareness and planning.

This adds another layer of personality and strategy for the game. It also adds value to those who like to cook, as food will be more commonly sought after.

The player should have reduced stamina regeneration when hungry or thirsty, and if both hungry and thirsty in the extreme levels, health would degrade to 50% and healing would become less effective.

Mechanics such as this would also promote pre and post war feast as the players prepare or recover from battle, allowing players running inns, or guilds, to prepare fun gatherings in celebration.

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
I would tbh want it to become more of a fluff type feature or linked to something else like reputation in a way or as PvE buffs or any other way to be frank. Optional not forced.

SV please dont force this down our throats again, this aint no survival game, nor a second life simulation.
We escape real lifes tediousness not to have them again artificially in MMORPGs, for that we have simulations and survival games.

We need to eat and drink in RL enough as it is.

DrChaoz

May 28, 2020
Germany
As you say @ThaBadMan, there is no need for a nearly realistic Hunger Mechanik like in Green Hell for example. But a bit more and better than in MO1 would be pretty nice.

Also I agree to @Neftan that Food should play a vital role. Anyhow I guess Thirst is in this game is on the wrong place, expect for Potions or something like that. Otherwise this will get close to a Survival game.

Vakirauta

May 28, 2020
Poland
Well, I agree but partially. Hunger system should be implemented maybe in better ways than before. Old cooking was great but I also wanted that my character would need to eat to not get some kind of debuffs (i.e. less stamina regen, mentioned in 1st post).
I believe there will be something new in that matter.

Solairerection

May 28, 2020
I would much rather they go for a "light roleplay" approach to food this time rather than for hunger and survival, because it felt more annoying than meaningful to carry food with you everywhere.
Only way I would be more accepting to it would be if you could eat and drink until you are full, and you would stay full until you die, which would reset the meter and you would need eat and drink again. May add the option to eat past you are full, for social eating. Or make "sophisticated food" less filling and easier to stuff an already full stomach.

If they really want to go for the 'realistic approach' then I suggest they go the extra mile and add a bowel and bladder meter that you need to empty, otherwise you will die from constipation. Could tie that into sophistication (or similar stat) if you decide to take a shit right on the street or wilderness, rather than seek out something more private like an outhouse or bathroom.

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
I would much rather they go for a "light roleplay" approach to food this time rather than for hunger and survival, because it felt more annoying than meaningful to carry food with you everywhere.
Only way I would be more accepting to it would be if you could eat and drink until you are full, and you would stay full until you die, which would reset the meter and you would need eat and drink again. May add the option to eat past you are full, for social eating. Or make "sophisticated food" less filling and easier to stuff an already full stomach.

If they really want to go for the 'realistic approach' then I suggest they go the extra mile and add a bowel and bladder meter that you need to empty, otherwise you will die from constipation. Could tie that into sophistication (or similar stat) if you decide to take a shit right on the street or wilderness, rather than seek out something more private like an outhouse or bathroom.
Exactly, this is the next step in survival games, weird how it havent come already.
Tbh this is imo a proof how retarded such features are in games other than survival ones.

Solairerection

May 28, 2020
Tbh this is imo a proof how retarded such features are in games other than survival ones.

Damn right. People want realism when it comes to eating habits but don't question what happens to your food once digested, it seems to just be accepted that you either have 100% effiency when digesting - or you "magically combust" whatever waste you have in your stomach.

It shouldn't stop StarVault though from taking this golden opportunity to be pioneers in this, seemingly, unexplored field ;)

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Damn right. People want realism when it comes to eating habits but don't question what happens to your food once digested, it seems to just be accepted that you either have 100% effiency when digesting - or you "magically combust" whatever waste you have in your stomach.

It shouldn't stop StarVault though from taking this golden opportunity to be pioneers in this, seemingly, unexplored field ;)
Indeed, also most are against the still not normal food spoil over time going from whatever buff over to debuff the worse it gets.

Neftan

May 28, 2020
My Mind
I am simply proposing this because I know the food system is not going anywhere and since it has to exist and will be tied to weight, it may as well be capitalized on.

Reactions: ThaBadMan

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
I am simply proposing this because I know the food system is not going anywhere and since it has to exist and will be tied to weight, it may as well be capitalized on.
And all the more power to you for doing so, now we have the ability in this discussion to show SV where we stand on things. I am very vocal as I have been involved with MO and its features and systems for so long and know so many thousands players and their views on things and why so many quit. Often the lists are long with different things and reasons.

My hope is to see a majority of my old friends, allies and enemies return and stay in MO2. I was also present for most of the early discussions for hours every day with devs back when MO was still new and fresh with promises to us the early 20k backers, so I feel I have a pretty good understanding of what original MO was meant to be and imo think I know most of the areas where it went wrong and failed so many of us. This is my time to influence knowing what history did to our beloved Mortal.

TheOxMan

Apr 11, 2022
Yes I hope that they do more with the hunger system as well, my proposal is that combat is uneffected in the sense that combat should activate adrenaline which which power you through a fight, after the fight and inbetween fights however a lack of nourishment should have substantial effects.

This would also make good food more valuable as it would sustain players and buff them through long military campaigns through the southern step against the armies of mount doom.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Hunger and thirst have become staples in modern survival games, and are present in many games that predate the modern genres.

While the cooking system in MO1 was vast, the eating and drinking mechanics were poor, and the reserves mechanic was annoying, hard for new players to understand, and very time consuming when messed up.

Food should play a vital role. Honestly - I would prefer for this portion of the game to get less forgiving, though rethought out to be less annoying. Food and hydration should be something your character needs. Hydration should be obtained via fruit or liquids, particularly water, of course, and it should be more intricate than just grabbing fist full of water.

This makes travelling need to be thought out, and puts a small time limit or survival aspect into play. If you dont pack rations, you need to know your environment. It promotes situational awareness and planning.

This adds another layer of personality and strategy for the game. It also adds value to those who like to cook, as food will be more commonly sought after.

The player should have reduced stamina regeneration when hungry or thirsty, and if both hungry and thirsty in the extreme levels, health would degrade to 50% and healing would become less effective.

Mechanics such as this would also promote pre and post war feast as the players prepare or recover from battle, allowing players running inns, or guilds, to prepare fun gatherings in celebration.

They need to update the weight system to not be terrible first. As I've suggested elsewhere, if they gave food a "calorie density" rating between 0.50 and 2.00 that would say, always draw a person who eats 1.29CD food closer to 129% weight, that system would be so simple and easy to use for the average player that food and weight management wouldn't feel like the chore it is now. At the same time, maximizing desired nourishments while also hitting the desired calorie density would be massively complex for cooks. And I think most cooks would actually enjoy that challenge.

I'd also add like I add to every system with a hunger game. If I'm hungry IRL I know it. I don't want to have to watch my hunger in a game or else randomly be beset upon by some starving state/debuff. Just give me a slot in my inventory that my character will automatically consume food from if he's hungry so I don't have to babysit it.

With some simplifications to the end user in terms of how hunger feels though, I'm 100% in support of doing things that will make people not just rest off greybar.

Reactions: TheOxMan

TheOxMan

Apr 11, 2022
They need to update the weight system to not be terrible first. As I've suggested elsewhere, if they gave food a "calorie density" rating between 0.50 and 2.00 that would say, always draw a person who eats 1.29CD food closer to 129% weight, that system would be so simple and easy to use for the average player that food and weight management wouldn't feel like the chore it is now. At the same time, maximizing desired nourishments while also hitting the desired calorie density would be massively complex for cooks. And I think most cooks would actually enjoy that challenge.

I'd also add like I add to every system with a hunger game. If I'm hungry IRL I know it. I don't want to have to watch my hunger in a game or else randomly be beset upon by some starving state/debuff. Just give me a slot in my inventory that my character will automatically consume food from if he's hungry so I don't have to babysit it.

With some simplifications to the end user in terms of how hunger feels though, I'm 100% in support of doing things that will make people not just rest off greybar.

I think the idea of a food slot would actually work really well in this game.

Set and forget, and would feel more natural too if they have it that you’re character would be more likely to eat when sitting down or rp walking.

Would create an atmosphere where people eat socially rather than just chomping down burritos because they got attacked by a bear lol.

Kind of hilarious when you think about it. First thing I think of when I finish getting my ass kicked is eating a sandwich :D.

With the food slot my character could sit at a table and while I’m chatting with someone or riding next to them on a horse just eat a bit.

A+ imo