My personal opinion about the look of poleaxes/poleswords and spears kinda.

FurSail

Oct 15, 2020
I really hate the looks of poleaxes/poleswords in this game. The way you hold them just doesn't feel right, it looks like you're holding it like a sledgehammer or a short handle axe. I think they should change the way you hold them like you used to hold them in MO1 as it felt much better back then and in general, was easier to determine where your hit was gonna land. Now nobody uses them and I was really looking forward to using them when they announced them in the patch. I just hope you guys at SV can make the animations of poleaxes look like how they used to look in MO1.

In fact, if this is how poleaxes look right now in the alpha imagine how it looks to hold a short handle poleaxe then, the same thing except the shorter handle.

Also, I hate how spears look when you hold them, it's weird and I enjoyed the old way you used to hold them in MO1 a lot more than how you hold a spear now. That's just my opinion though, at the moment I don't hate them that much.

Here are some examples of what I am talking about.

Here is how you used to hold them in MO1 the poleswords.

1602801200867.png
Before

1602802287310.png
after

Now to be fair some might say ah it's how you hold it but it's really the way you swing it rather than how you hold it. Everyone I talked to about the old animation agrees that they would want to see the old poleaxe animation from MO1 and so do I. Now you can disagree, I don't mind but seeing how you swung a poleaxe in MO1 just felt much better and was way easier to use than now. It would be awesome if SV could change the poleaxe animation but if they don't want to then it's their decision, not mine.

and here is how it looked when you used to hold a spear

1602801681785.png
before

1602802268141.png
after

Now the way you hold a spear in MO2 doesn't look that bad but I prefer the older way kinda in my opinion. Not everyone is on the same mind.

Now, remember it's really about how you swing the poleaxe that bothers me not the way you hold it. I much more would prefer to see the old animation but hey that's just how life is I guess. It would be nice to see it come back as it would surely make more people use poleaxes as at the moment NOBODY uses them as far as I've seen. So please Star Vault let us swing poleaxes the right way instead of how you swing them now. I know you guys put a lot of effort into poleaxes and poleaswords but it just doesn't feel right.

Hope you can understand where I am coming from, any kind of criticism on the matter is greatly appreciated (constructive, however)

Thank you for taking the time to read my suggestion/feedback about poleaxes and poleswords.

Last edited:

Rhias

May 28, 2020
From a realistic point of view the new idle holding animation is more accurate (holding it up instead of constantly poking your front while walking).
However, in first person view I preffered it to see my own weapon. Now I can only see the handle, and not the head.

Reactions: Speznat

FurSail

Oct 15, 2020
From a realistic point of view the new idle holding animation is more accurate (holding it up instead of constantly poking your front while walking).
However, in first person view I preffered it to see my own weapon. Now I can only see the handle, and not the head.

I can understand the realistic point of view of holding the weapon today but it just makes it in first person much harder to aim with and it gives the weapon no purpose to use since most would go with a sword or a spear instead since those are easier to aim with.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
I actually think the new spear animations both two handed and one handed are better, obviously there is some polishing to be done as always; but the way spears played without a shield was stupid. Plus now, when you have a shield, your spear is actually held up which just looks way cleaner than this weird wide-open stance MO1 shield + spear had.

HOWEVER, the poleswords feel like shit. I actually think poleswords should have the same animations as the two handed spears (no shield).

Reactions: Rolufe and Teknique

FurSail

Oct 15, 2020
I actually think the new spear animations both two handed and one handed are better, obviously there is some polishing to be done as always; but the way spears played without a shield was stupid. Plus now, when you have a shield, your spear is actually held up which just looks way cleaner than this weird wide-open stance MO1 shield + spear had.

HOWEVER, the poleswords feel like shit. I actually think poleswords should have the same animations as the two handed spears (no shield).

I guess the way you hold spears and shield now do look better now in many ways like you said. But like you said there's still got to be some polishing done for both spears and poleswords. Thank you for the opinion though.

Reactions: Rolufe

Rolufe

Jun 1, 2020
A more forward angle on all swings would be nice with the longer polearms more similar to the spears.

FurSail

Oct 15, 2020
A more forward angle on all swings would be nice with the longer polearms more similar to the spears.

Yeah, I would just like a more proper angle to be implemented for poleaxes as it would be easier to use really. At this rate no one uses poleaxes and poleswords in MO2 because of the way you swing them.