Murder-count Feedback & Suggestions (long post)

TheOxMan

Apr 11, 2022
Hi mortys,

I have been thinking about murder counts and how they currently function and see a few areas for improvement.

I think the issue many have currently with murder counts is two fold, on one hand they are too easy to get (difficult to avoid a murder count as a blue player who wants to defend themselves) and on the other hand they are too punishing for the red players who want to be criminals but constantly find themselves having to wait out long timers and run parcels in order to grow their reputation for access to amenities found within blue towns.

Both of these “problems” have pros and cons in my opinion.

In the case of murder counts being easy to accrue we are given a system that will ensure that a red player(criminal player) is classified as a murderer and therefore punished for their violent actions toward innocent players. (I am aware that people find ways to get around this)

Then on the other hand In the situation where red players feel forced to regain reputation frequently to use amenities is successful in that criminals should absolutely lose access to blue cities and towns. And I would go as far as saying this should be harsher than it is.

So I obviously think there should be consequences to rpk against innocent people imo so I see that as a success for the current game.

What I don’t find to be successful with the implementation is how those consequences are perceived to both sides of the isle and I think that is a design flaw.

Perception is key.

What I mean by this is that a red player imo should not view murder counts as a detriment to themselves at all, and a blue player should see the red player as being severely punished.

Blue players should want to avoid murder counts and red players should want to accrue them for opposing reasons.

In my opinion a blue character should see the red player as losing out on access to their towns and be hunted actively it should look stressful to players who enjoy slow paced gameplay,

the red player should see the blue players and their towns as luxuries they don’t need and the bounty hunters as a welcome (but dangerous) challenge.

That is how the ecosystem should appear. A focus from a game designer should imo always be on FUN for everyone involved.

Now I do think the system now can be fun for both parties so I am not here disingenuously putting down the game or it’s design. I just think there could be some changes that would make the system better.

So you ask what are said changes?

I want murder counts to be a sort of currency that criminal players go out of their way to attain and maintain

To start, all amenities found in unlawful towns should require murder counts to varying degrees to use.

Murder counts will increase your reputation with the closest unlawful town and you will have to have reputation to have access.

From the red priest to the general goods vendors, to the use of the town bank. With red priests only requiring (1 murder count or more to access)

Criminal players should always be encouraged to both increase their murder count, and also feel pressured not to lose it.

To balance this I think red towns should have better and unique amenities within them. Both in form and function.

I think murder counts should not be depleted over time.

And I think murder counts should be removed in varying amounts by criminals being slain by blue entities dependent on which blue has killed the criminal.

(My recent post on bounty hunting talks in depth about how I think bounty hunters should play an integral roll in this. With the best bounty hunters being able to wipe out a red players reputation entirely with enough of a time and monetary investment.) (more on that system here: Bounty Suggestion)

In general the murder count should represent a crime and a red player being killed by a blue player or guard should represent that player being punished for their crimes.

A rough estimate of this system would look like this:
  1. Criminal kills criminal = zero loss or gain in murder count.
  2. Random blue player kills criminal in fight = -1 murder count for criminal
  3. Guard kills criminal = -10 to murder count for criminal
  4. Bounty hunter kills criminal = -1 to 100% murder count.(depends on how many contracts they have collected on the criminal)

This system would put criminals into a situation where their murder count is the key to their success as criminals and it would be a constant push and pull for them to remain effective.

Yes a criminal can kill a blue and take all his stuff still, but in order to profit from this they will need to have a high enough murder count to access the means in which to sell it and even store it effectively.

As stated before the murder count is what will allow criminals to use all of the towns services in which they are closest too and also add onto those services for added benefits.

My rough list of murder counts needed for services would be as follows:

1 murder count or more:
  • access to red priest.
5 murder counts or more:
  • access to low tier vendors(equipment vendor/ grocery vendor/ weapon vendor ect)
  • Can purchase a small stash a box (3-6 slot placeable storage chest accessible by owner and blue players)
10 murder counts or more:
  • access crafting/profession vendors
  • access to low tier librarians
20 murder counts or more:
  • access town bank (Can be lost if murder count drops bellow 20 Items will remain when regained access)
  • Access to equerry
  • Purchase larger placeable storage. (Accessible by you and blue players)
  • Basic protection in criminal town near key locations.
30 murder counts or more:
  • access to local trader and mail
40 murder count or more:
  • Access to tier 1 stolen goods fence(buys any stolen items for a good price)
  • Access to tier 1 assassin contractor.
  • Purchasable booby trap for portable storage.
  • Large portable storage (accessible to you and blue players)
  • Protection from some local bandit camps with access to some bandit camp vendors.
50 murder counts or more:
  • Access to black market fence trader (this trader will allow you to set prices on goods that will be put onto the closest blue city/town auction house)
  • All but a few bandit camps will now be friendly to you and trade with you.
  • Access to hideout vendor(criminal housing vendor)
  • All prices for traders in town will be reduced by 50% including librarians.
  • Access to tier 2 assassination contracts
75 or more murder counts:
  • Access to basic bribe token (gives criminals the ability to bribe guards for a short duration allowing them to move freely through blue areas. KILLING voids this bribe )
  • All bandit camps now give small gifts to you.
  • Vendors purchase items at a much higher rate.
  • Access to exclusive criminal stronghold in criminal town with high skill vendors.
  • Access to tier 3 assassination contracts
100 or more murder counts:
  • Future murder counts will be scored against all other criminal players over 100 kills. The person with the highest kill count in this region will gain significant benefits including access to a private room inside of a special building in the criminal town they live in.
  • All vendors will now give 75% off on all wears and buy all your items at the highest rates (whoever is the highest scoring person in that region gets 80-90% off and will recieve even more money from selling items.)
  • The black market fence will now sell your items on the closest blue town for no extra cost. (The highest murder count player in that region gets an option to sell their items on any auction house in the continent)
  • Bandits give you increased rewards as tribute and will sell you better items at a lower price.
  • Gaurds in blue towns will now be able to take bribes that will make them look the other way for a limited number of crimes. (The highest scoring criminal in the region will make most guards (not all) run from them in fear)
  • and many more
-

The system described above is all obviously subject to complete overhaul and change in terms of what murder count is required for what amenities and I have obviously added my own half baked ideas for new systems/items that could be used as benefits for murderers holding onto high murder counts, so feel free to fill in the blanks.

Reactions: Dracu

TheOxMan

Apr 11, 2022
The main position I hold here is that the benefits would be great for those criminals who can avoid the law effectively and work to grow their reputation as bandits, but all of their benefits can be lost quickly if they are careless.

Right now I think a bandit losing a fight is not equal to a blue player losing a fight for a number of reasons. More times than not a bandit is not going to take a fight that they do not know they can win unless they have so much wealth built up that it doesnt matter.

With what i am suggesting a red player will be pressured to go out and win fights against players to attain what blue players get by default and if they fail they will lose access to those things until they win enough fights again.

-

What if a criminal wants to turn it around?

Only after a criminal's murder count turns to zero can they begin to gain reputation with the closest town that they have lost reputation in.

at this stage when the players reputation in the negative they will need to do various tasks that slowly raise their reputation back up to tolerated.

I do have some ideas also on how blue reputation could improve, but thats for another time i think.

-

I know very long post here but thanks for reading and As always i don't think the game NEEDS anything I put down here, but IMO this kind of system could add a layer of depth to criminality that might act to give criminals more of a challenge that is fun and engaging, as well as give blue players a real sense of justice for the crimes committed against them.

:O

D

Dracu

Really good idea, in general. I personally would like to see a red guarded town that blues cant enter to make it even more meaningfull as you have to earn entrance to it.

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
SV only makes changes to discourage rpking they aren't going to incentive killing a bunch a noobs to farm up your mc score

D

Dracu

SV only makes changes to discourage rpking they aren't going to incentive killing a bunch a noobs to farm up your mc score
Imo SV has to change something on their approach for longterm. This suggestion is pretty good concept of such a change.

Reactions: Tzone

Tashka

Dec 4, 2021
I don't think MC system was intended to motivate reds to murder more. Also exploitable AF. Blues will not be afraid to get MCs since they can burn them easily. Reds will be killing their blue friends/alts repeatedly for more MC currency. Completely broken.

Reactions: ArcaneConsular

Bloodmasked

Jan 25, 2022
Problem is red players have little places to respawn, store loot, craft, meet ppl.

In my opinion you should atleast be able to walk the streets of any blue town so long as you haven't RECENTLY committed crimes in the very close proximity of the town/inside the town.

The game totally barring me from blue towns (unless I run lots and lots of parcels) is very unimmersive and I would like to talk to ppl inside towns, trade with people, duel people.

Also the problem is with not being able to access blue priests, all this does is waste my time I have to walk all the way to a red priest just to respawn. Its not interesting mechanic.

I also do not like that bounty hunters can track me across the entire map, it is unimmersive. Also being killed inside a town that is supposed to have guards to protect people makes no sense.

D

Dracu

Problem is red players have little places to respawn, store loot, craft, meet ppl.

In my opinion you should atleast be able to walk the streets of any blue town so long as you haven't RECENTLY committed crimes in the very close proximity of the town/inside the town.

The game totally barring me from blue towns (unless I run lots and lots of parcels) is very unimmersive and I would like to talk to ppl inside towns, trade with people, duel people.

Also the problem is with not being able to access blue priests, all this does is waste my time I have to walk all the way to a red priest just to respawn. Its not interesting mechanic.

I also do not like that bounty hunters can track me across the entire map, it is unimmersive. Also being killed inside a town that is supposed to have guards to protect people makes no sense.
why not a extra "guarded" red town? Where guards attack non red players. With the change to earn usage rights by keeping your murdercounts up thats enough motivation to keep it up. Actively making it a choice what playstyle you want to follow, making it a choice again with promoting botth playstyle instead of only promoting one.

Bloodmasked

Jan 25, 2022
why not a extra "guarded" red town? Where guards attack non red players. With the change to earn usage rights by keeping your murdercounts up thats enough motivation to keep it up. Actively making it a choice what playstyle you want to follow, making it a choice again with promoting botth playstyle instead of only promoting one.
The playerbase shouldn't be split up just because some pvp more than others. And new players who want to pvp or learn have zero way to contact pvpers ingame because the pvpers cannot enter blue towns. Also in my opinion pvpers are the best at pve and all aspects of the game, so are ideal to teaching new players.

Reactions: Tzone
D

Dracu

The playerbase shouldn't be split up just because some pvp more than others. And new players who want to pvp or learn have zero way to contact pvpers ingame because the pvpers cannot enter blue towns. Also in my opinion pvpers are the best at pve and all aspects of the game, so are ideal to teaching new players.
i dont think that that is an issue at all... in my guardzone camping times it happened so often that it became somewhat friendly.... especially at GYs for some reason, dueling with new players and having some conversation and tipps while waiting for the GZ whiteknights to come out, That doesnt change because of a red town that reds can hang out at. Better then everybody sitting in their strongholds... bringing red players together and creating interesting dynamics.

But yeah the red and blue mentality split kinda already happened. But yeah i get what you mean tbh, but i think thats better that way, new players that want to go learn pvp etc. will get to know of that place sooner or later and may seek it out... as an active choice^^

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
Hi mortys,

I have been thinking about murder counts and how they currently function and see a few areas for improvement.

I think the issue many have currently with murder counts is two fold, on one hand they are too easy to get (difficult to avoid a murder count as a blue player who wants to defend themselves) and on the other hand they are too punishing for the red players who want to be criminals but constantly find themselves having to wait out long timers and run parcels in order to grow their reputation for access to amenities found within blue towns.

Both of these “problems” have pros and cons in my opinion.

In the case of murder counts being easy to accrue we are given a system that will ensure that a red player(criminal player) is classified as a murderer and therefore punished for their violent actions toward innocent players. (I am aware that people find ways to get around this)

Then on the other hand In the situation where red players feel forced to regain reputation frequently to use amenities is successful in that criminals should absolutely lose access to blue cities and towns. And I would go as far as saying this should be harsher than it is.

So I obviously think there should be consequences to rpk against innocent people imo so I see that as a success for the current game.

What I don’t find to be successful with the implementation is how those consequences are perceived to both sides of the isle and I think that is a design flaw.

Perception is key.

What I mean by this is that a red player imo should not view murder counts as a detriment to themselves at all, and a blue player should see the red player as being severely punished.

Blue players should want to avoid murder counts and red players should want to accrue them for opposing reasons.

In my opinion a blue character should see the red player as losing out on access to their towns and be hunted actively it should look stressful to players who enjoy slow paced gameplay,

the red player should see the blue players and their towns as luxuries they don’t need and the bounty hunters as a welcome (but dangerous) challenge.

That is how the ecosystem should appear. A focus from a game designer should imo always be on FUN for everyone involved.

Now I do think the system now can be fun for both parties so I am not here disingenuously putting down the game or it’s design. I just think there could be some changes that would make the system better.

So you ask what are said changes?

I want murder counts to be a sort of currency that criminal players go out of their way to attain and maintain

To start, all amenities found in unlawful towns should require murder counts to varying degrees to use.

Murder counts will increase your reputation with the closest unlawful town and you will have to have reputation to have access.

From the red priest to the general goods vendors, to the use of the town bank. With red priests only requiring (1 murder count or more to access)

Criminal players should always be encouraged to both increase their murder count, and also feel pressured not to lose it.

To balance this I think red towns should have better and unique amenities within them. Both in form and function.

I think murder counts should not be depleted over time.

And I think murder counts should be removed in varying amounts by criminals being slain by blue entities dependent on which blue has killed the criminal.

(My recent post on bounty hunting talks in depth about how I think bounty hunters should play an integral roll in this. With the best bounty hunters being able to wipe out a red players reputation entirely with enough of a time and monetary investment.) (more on that system here: Bounty Suggestion)

In general the murder count should represent a crime and a red player being killed by a blue player or guard should represent that player being punished for their crimes.

A rough estimate of this system would look like this:
  1. Criminal kills criminal = zero loss or gain in murder count.
  2. Random blue player kills criminal in fight = -1 murder count for criminal
  3. Guard kills criminal = -10 to murder count for criminal
  4. Bounty hunter kills criminal = -1 to 100% murder count.(depends on how many contracts they have collected on the criminal)

This system would put criminals into a situation where their murder count is the key to their success as criminals and it would be a constant push and pull for them to remain effective.

Yes a criminal can kill a blue and take all his stuff still, but in order to profit from this they will need to have a high enough murder count to access the means in which to sell it and even store it effectively.

As stated before the murder count is what will allow criminals to use all of the towns services in which they are closest too and also add onto those services for added benefits.

My rough list of murder counts needed for services would be as follows:

1 murder count or more:
  • access to red priest.
5 murder counts or more:
  • access to low tier vendors(equipment vendor/ grocery vendor/ weapon vendor ect)
  • Can purchase a small stash a box (3-6 slot placeable storage chest accessible by owner and blue players)
10 murder counts or more:
  • access crafting/profession vendors
  • access to low tier librarians
20 murder counts or more:
  • access town bank (Can be lost if murder count drops bellow 20 Items will remain when regained access)
  • Access to equerry
  • Purchase larger placeable storage. (Accessible by you and blue players)
  • Basic protection in criminal town near key locations.
30 murder counts or more:
  • access to local trader and mail
40 murder count or more:
  • Access to tier 1 stolen goods fence(buys any stolen items for a good price)
  • Access to tier 1 assassin contractor.
  • Purchasable booby trap for portable storage.
  • Large portable storage (accessible to you and blue players)
  • Protection from some local bandit camps with access to some bandit camp vendors.
50 murder counts or more:
  • Access to black market fence trader (this trader will allow you to set prices on goods that will be put onto the closest blue city/town auction house)
  • All but a few bandit camps will now be friendly to you and trade with you.
  • Access to hideout vendor(criminal housing vendor)
  • All prices for traders in town will be reduced by 50% including librarians.
  • Access to tier 2 assassination contracts
75 or more murder counts:
  • Access to basic bribe token (gives criminals the ability to bribe guards for a short duration allowing them to move freely through blue areas. KILLING voids this bribe )
  • All bandit camps now give small gifts to you.
  • Vendors purchase items at a much higher rate.
  • Access to exclusive criminal stronghold in criminal town with high skill vendors.
  • Access to tier 3 assassination contracts
100 or more murder counts:
  • Future murder counts will be scored against all other criminal players over 100 kills. The person with the highest kill count in this region will gain significant benefits including access to a private room inside of a special building in the criminal town they live in.
  • All vendors will now give 75% off on all wears and buy all your items at the highest rates (whoever is the highest scoring person in that region gets 80-90% off and will recieve even more money from selling items.)
  • The black market fence will now sell your items on the closest blue town for no extra cost. (The highest murder count player in that region gets an option to sell their items on any auction house in the continent)
  • Bandits give you increased rewards as tribute and will sell you better items at a lower price.
  • Gaurds in blue towns will now be able to take bribes that will make them look the other way for a limited number of crimes. (The highest scoring criminal in the region will make most guards (not all) run from them in fear)
  • and many more
-

The system described above is all obviously subject to complete overhaul and change in terms of what murder count is required for what amenities and I have obviously added my own half baked ideas for new systems/items that could be used as benefits for murderers holding onto high murder counts, so feel free to fill in the blanks.

I don't get why it should be harsher for criminals, i think farming parcels is a good community service for factions to let you back into town. People are traumatized on the idea criminals kill them outside and they are back into town baking the shit roflmao.

Removing ress to report feature and making it so only live whitnesses can report criminal actions in town would fix people's entitlement to justice, if they wanna get justice they should work for it not just fucking die and report.

Instead of envolving people in the game SV adds retarded features that generate the illusion of punishment and justice for people to just die and report. Precisely that makes everything revolve around it, around how mad people are because theres no harsher penalties, around how to make the criminal gameplay experience WORSE.

Idk why people gets on this stupid mentality about making things worse for some is somewhat "fair", but it ain't.

Whats the best argument some cocksucker can bring here, mortal shouldn't be a gankfest huehuehue.

Well, then ask for proper content and learn how to play and use the massive geography of the map to your advantage, just don't complain cuz u get killed like a fucking noob when going on a road, and don't expect the game to avenge your stupidity.

TheOxMan

Apr 11, 2022
I don't think MC system was intended to motivate reds to murder more.
This is the point of my suggestion, I know they are currently not intended for that but it is in my opinion a design flaw.

Murder counts in their current form are designed to be a deterrent in the game right now, yet many people have hundreds of them so imo it’s obvious that the intention of murder counts is notworking as intended.

Also exploitable AF. Blues will not be afraid to get MCs since they can burn them easily. Reds will be killing their blue friends/alts repeatedly for more MC currency. Completely broken’
While it may be the case that in my limited explaination of the mechanics that you could find reasons to put in the effort to exploit a system (the reward is so high for a red player that they collude with a player to spend hours killing the same person over and over and avoid other players)

I am also just one person coming up with all the balancing off memory and off the top of my head.

the whole point of the system would be for the process of gaining enough murder counts to reap rewards and gain access to the tools to play effectively would take enough time that a red player would need to be careful in the wild knowing that if the wrong person finds the (a good bounty hunter let’s say being the biggest threat) they could lose access to all the things they have acquireduntil they kill more people.

would need a very dedicated person to keep going down that road again and again just to get access to a few small unique facilities.

fair feedback, but I think you missed my point

Last edited:

TheOxMan

Apr 11, 2022
I don't get why it should be harsher for criminals, i think farming parcels is a good community service for factions to let you back into town. People are traumatized on the idea criminals kill them outside and they are back into town baking the shit roflmao.

Removing ress to report feature and making it so only live whitnesses can report criminal actions in town would fix people's entitlement to justice, if they wanna get justice they should work for it not just fucking die and report.

Instead of envolving people in the game SV adds retarded features that generate the illusion of punishment and justice for people to just die and report. Precisely that makes everything revolve around it, around how mad people are because theres no harsher penalties, around how to make the criminal gameplay experience WORSE.

Idk why people gets on this stupid mentality about making things worse for some is somewhat "fair", but it ain't.

Whats the best argument some cocksucker can bring here, mortal shouldn't be a gankfest huehuehue.

Well, then ask for proper content and learn how to play and use the massive geography of the map to your advantage, just don't complain cuz u get killed like a fucking noob when going on a road, and don't expect the game to avenge your stupidity.
Don’t think you really read my post but the TLDR for my response is that the system is not a punishment.

the red players would be given access to better and unique tools to kill blue players and also never need to go into blue town.

I even gave some rough ideas for ways for red players who are skilled at keeping their murder counts high would have tools to bribe guards to enter towns and even kill players near towns without being attacked by guards.

the whole weird tough guy routine about how “blue players shouldn’t seek justice” blah blah blah is a larp, but also just dumb.

you telling me a bounty hunter shouldn’t seek justice?

right…

• Haha
Reactions: Albanjo Dravae

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
Perception is key.

The key is reds need to stop running parcels. Currently they may not care about their MC once they are red because the timer isnt worth waiting out. But they still run shit parcels to keep their standing up. So another MC is another standing loss. When you no longer care about standing, you can kill everythign you see that you think you can kill.

It just doesnt work very well right now. Players need to be able to fully live out of their house in the wild, then they wont need towns. And the game needs more red camps. Right now you just have to abuse a blue friend and have them craft for you because you cant craft out of a house.

TheOxMan

Apr 11, 2022
Really good idea, in general. I personally would like to see a red guarded town that blues cant enter to make it even more meaningfull as you have to earn entrance to it.
Thanks fren! And yeah having guarded areas within red locations I think would be great for those who put the effort into attain access to them.

TheOxMan

Apr 11, 2022
The goal here is not to split them because they are already split, rpk players do not get along with players who don’t rpk in any real sense.sure if we are forced to share a town we will try and get along in the short term but no one wants to spend more than a few minutes hanging out if they are at cross purposes.

it’s the same for guilds at war but those dynamics can actually be changed through negotiation. You can’t negotiate with a person who’s enjoyment from the game is being a criminal.

and trust me, not saying anything bad about criminals here, just write a long post creating ways to encourage them to double down. But the differences and divisions that are already in game I think should be used for fun gameplay rather than get in the way of it.

TheOxMan

Apr 11, 2022
The key is reds need to stop running parcels. Currently they may not care about their MC once they are red because the timer isnt worth waiting out. But they still run shit parcels to keep their standing up. So another MC is another standing loss. When you no longer care about standing, you can kill everythign you see that you think you can kill.

It just doesnt work very well right now. Players need to be able to fully live out of their house in the wild, then they wont need towns. And the game needs more red camps. Right now you just have to abuse a blue friend and have them craft for you because you cant craft out of a house.
I agree that parcel runs are kind of anti red and unless you are doing them because you decide to they are more of a boring detour.

I have suggested that SV add a red priest into arenas and allow red players to earn rep as a gladiator as just one example of making this process fun for more people.

let blue players bet on fights and watch them at a safe distance while hanging out in towns and cities with fighting pits.

Bit off topic from my suggestion but I agree :D

Reactions: Jatix

Bloodmasked

Jan 25, 2022
The goal here is not to split them because they are already split, rpk players do not get along with players who don’t rpk in any real sense.sure if we are forced to share a town we will try and get along in the short term but no one wants to spend more than a few minutes hanging out if they are at cross purposes.

it’s the same for guilds at war but those dynamics can actually be changed through negotiation. You can’t negotiate with a person who’s enjoyment from the game is being a criminal.

and trust me, not saying anything bad about criminals here, just write a long post creating ways to encourage them to double down. But the differences and divisions that are already in game I think should be used for fun gameplay rather than get in the way of it.
People who use the term RPK should not be playing a pvp game.

TheOxMan

Apr 11, 2022
Another addition:

Add grey priests to the game for players to spawn at who have zero murder counts but have negative rep with the closest town.

In the case where a players murder count is wiped to zero from a bounty hunter or just lost enough fights players who comitted crimes will still be unable to enter a town until they increase rep.

Grey priests would be placed in key locations around, near, and inside of the towns and cities where reputation needs to be grown.

Those grey priest locations would be home to tasks those players can complete to grow their rep up.

Examples:

A mine where you gather recourses and give them to an npc for rep.

A lumber yard where you cut trees for rep.

An arena where you fight other players for the entertainment of the town for rep.

A parcel vendor to towns that you can enter for rep.

And many more.

Just was thinking about the concept again and realized I missed this scenario in the explaination and I wanted to complete the loop.

Cheers