Mounted Combat sucks

Rhias

May 28, 2020
Hey,
I think most have noticed that almost all Mounted Builds are MA's. I think that's only partly because their range is favorable in PVE, but also because Mounted Combat sucks.
In this post I'm talking about MC with slashing/bashing weapons and NOT about spears/lances.

IMHO those are the main issues:
- Animations are bad (especially the left swing)
- There is a swing delay between releasing the left mouse button until the actual animation starts. That makes it incredible hard to land hits. The swing delay seems to be unrelated to the weapon weight.
- Handle hits seem to be unpredicable and random

IMHO Mounted Combat needs a buff.
- The animations should be overhauled.
- The animations should strike higher. I want to able to look down towards a foot fighter instead of needing to look above the player to land a hit on the upper body.
- The "swing delay" should be reduced and made dependent on weapon weight to give some initiative to use also lower weight weapons.
- Make the swings slower so that there is a longer timeframe in which the MC is able to ride into it's target.

D

Deleted member 44

It's truly terrible. I've been trying a bunch of various weapons and it's just embarrassingly bad. Slow, weak mounts with terrible animations.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
They really need to add something like different armors and add restrictions on the current ones for mounts to start making MC stronger.

Make medium and heavy armor much much better for mounts but restrict their use so that you cant use them with mounted archery and most likely mounted magery also.

Light mounted armor should be about as good as heavy is right now and that's what mounted archers will be using mostly.

I think thats a good start on working on mount durability of MC, MM and MA.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Sons,

haha. I will once again post my idea for people to read.

There needs to be a skill under mounted charge that allows MC (wep out MC, no switchin' cuz that would be unfair) to reach a closer to 'naked' horse speed in 'heavy' horse armor. They would still accel and turn less, but they could at least out speed most other armored mounts. I think that would be the first step to fixing it, then go from there on the animations, but I def feel like I can bang people w/ an axe (or could in beta) if I could catch em.

Edit: I'm gonna spec up MC on my khur soonish I'll show u in a vid. :):):) I can show you some 0 dmg hits.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Double post, gonna get to eat my foot on this one. I mean, I did it, eventually, but it was ugly at first. I psyched myself out. Hammers are just weird, tho. I don't have much exp w/ them. I wasn't a maul dood. I was axn. GY MC vid incoming (will put here when it's uploaded, might need a sec to process.)

(espn music plays.)

OK VID:
Not gonna be HD for a few. I hope you can see the swing hits are pretty consistent (both sides) and that when it fails it's MY fail (of which there are many, esp warming up, my brain is already shutting down by this time of night lool.) It was fun to do though. My first time MCing in a bit.

My POV is what MC needs tho is a little less of a nerf to the str req, like if it was 60% instead of 50, that would be pretty nice. That would open up a lot of the messing etc weps, for better or worse, and like I said more top speed in heavy armor so that we (as much as I like archery on the ground, I actually like MC for my choice mounted) can help combat the MA meta. I plan to roll MAMC on Emdash because Human. I'll take those 45 pts. But yea, in 'horse armor,' you just aren't mobile enough to play MC proper imo.

Last edited:

Serverus

May 28, 2020
Moh’ki
Considering how brilliant and fun MO1 mounted combat was, they really overcomplicated it this time. Making it almost useless because of the difficulty. Velocity is hard to build up with all the trees and rocks in the way. Just make it like it was in MO1. It was perfect. This is why I quit Bannerlord, mounted combat sucked and was so much more fluid in Warband.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
I hated broken ass MO1 mounted with a passion, jetting around hitting for insane damage with their aids huge weapons held in 1 hand. But this is just bad. Needs to be fixed. Stuff like this just shows insane lack of polish.

Reactions: Hodo

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
Yes I definitely agree this needs work and need to balance MA as well

Yeah mounted archery and archery in general is just hands down the best right now. In fact I can't remember the last time anyone's tried to kill me using melee or magic. Just all archers

Reactions: CrgHck

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Considering how brilliant and fun MO1 mounted combat was, they really overcomplicated it this time. Making it almost useless because of the difficulty. Velocity is hard to build up with all the trees and rocks in the way. Just make it like it was in MO1. It was perfect. This is why I quit Bannerlord, mounted combat sucked and was so much more fluid in Warband.

I can deal w/ the trees and rocks as 'skill aspect,' the mounts aren't as fast, they don't turn the same. From what I figured in beta + in that vid I just made, the swing arcs at least for axes are basically the same. Difference is... no more juiced mounts, no more trampling, no more crazy weps.

The whole delete mounted crowd never wanted to give any love to people who were good at MC/MA, but there were def people who were. It should be like a racing game thing where you gotta dodge everything and come in with the perfect swing to get a hit, but when you are getting pounded with long bow arrows or your horse is too slow to catch up with a horse that is peppering you with arrows or hitting you with spells, then there is a problem. More combat styles are good. MC was basically THE solo roam build and that's why people hated it in Mo1. I fought some of the 'good MCs' in MO1 and most were just stupid geared. Some guys I saw on vids or some guys I played vs were legit tho.

Even if they wanna use stuff like longbows to discourage foot v mounted engagements, which I am semi-cool with... they need to make MC able to keep up with MA at least. MC should eat MA. MA is for ganking transports.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021

110 str let me hold those jade axes I wanted to! My friend has 121 (but hes not full spec yet), and he can hold heavier stuff, not sure his max, but heyyy. Not bad ey? Steppy style.

Dramonis

Mar 4, 2022
Hey,
I think most have noticed that almost all Mounted Builds are MA's. I think that's only partly because their range is favorable in PVE, but also because Mounted Combat sucks.
In this post I'm talking about MC with slashing/bashing weapons and NOT about spears/lances.

IMHO those are the main issues:
- Animations are bad (especially the left swing)
- There is a swing delay between releasing the left mouse button until the actual animation starts. That makes it incredible hard to land hits. The swing delay seems to be unrelated to the weapon weight.
- Handle hits seem to be unpredicable and random

IMHO Mounted Combat needs a buff.
- The animations should be overhauled.
- The animations should strike higher. I want to able to look down towards a foot fighter instead of needing to look above the player to land a hit on the upper body.
- The "swing delay" should be reduced and made dependent on weapon weight to give some initiative to use also lower weight weapons.
- Make the swings slower so that there is a longer timeframe in which the MC is able to ride into it's target.

The first thing to do is increase the weapon hurt box from a MC,
Second new animations while mounted and not use the same animation from standing
This is how a mounted melee attack animation should behave

Third MA aiming reduce 20% max speed, run in a straight line, like Mounted Mages, increase aim wobble, remove zoology damage bonus on mounts.

Then MC will shine ;)

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
I tried using my one handed warhammer, that I use on foot one handed with ease. It weighs .98kg.... So it is about 1.5lbs. It is a 1 handed gripped handle with a warhammer made of incisium head. The delay on the swing is so bad I could ride by 2 houses before it even responds to the fact I swung the weapon.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
DISMOUNT. Rugged armor NAH! I told yall doods if I got a dismount I was gonna post it!

MC is close I honestly believe. It's gonna be hard w/o MA as the follow up. It's def a good engage. If I switched MA quicker (after the initial attack) I'd be killing but I wanna see if I can keep hitting people w/ axe. Wanna see longer downtime off dismount imo.

Just tweak it ALIL.

Neph79

Mar 25, 2022
Henrik just mentioned in his last stream that they are aware Mounted Combat needs love and that it will be getting some once stability issues are resolved.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Henrik just mentioned in his last stream that they are aware Mounted Combat needs love and that it will be getting some once stability issues are resolved.

the bodgybags are gonna be REAL mahaha.