MO2 Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
Hey all,

I noticed in the stress test that a lot of new players my friend and I introduced to the game immediately went looking around for a wiki with just basic information about the game worked, systems etc and had a hard time finding any. There are a couple Wikis for MO1, but not MO2.

I created a wiki for MO2 using the same platform (Fandom.com) where one of the MO1 wikis was located:

Mortal Online 2 Wiki | Fandom

Let me know if there's another wiki out there for MO2 that should instead be the primary one, or if we should start adding to this one.

I can already think of a number of systems, mechanics and intro stuff that could be added that would greatly ease people's transition into the game as we wait for SV to add more to the tutorials etc.

Let me know your thoughts!

Moored

Mar 24, 2021
Hey all,

I noticed in the stress test that a lot of new players my friend and I introduced to the game immediately went looking around for a wiki with just basic information about the game worked, systems etc and had a hard time finding any. There are a couple Wikis for MO1, but not MO2.

I created a wiki for MO2 using the same platform (Fandom.com) where one of the MO1 wikis was located:

Let me know if there's another wiki out there for MO2 that should instead be the primary one, or if we should start adding to this one.

I can already think of a number of systems, mechanics and intro stuff that could be added that would greatly ease people's transition into the game as we wait for SV to add more to the tutorials etc.

The link says that wiki is closed. Great idea though

Chef

Sep 17, 2021
Hey all,

A wiki would undermine all the hard work and effort needed to accomplish things in this game. The whole point of MO is for people to explore and figure things out on their own, not regurgitate information found from wikis. If you expect MO to be the kind of game where information is readily available and all you need to do is look up a guide to do something this game isn't for you.

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
The link says that wiki is closed. Great idea though

That's super annoying. It was open for a day or so. Perhaps they either thought it was too close to the existing MO1 wiki and din't understand it was a sequel, or saw no content and just deleted it. I've e-mailed them and will post when/if they re-open it.

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
A wiki would undermine all the hard work and effort needed to accomplish things in this game. The whole point of MO is for people to explore and figure things out on their own, not regurgitate information found from wikis. If you expect MO to be the kind of game where information is readily available and all you need to do is look up a guide to do something this game isn't for you.

Respectfully disagree.

There are already a multitude of resources that exist and are in public consumption (exact calculators for resources extracting, crafting statistics results, player created maps with user submitted locations, even spreadsheets of all books locations on this forum).

Firstly the primary purpose of the wiki isn't to reveal secrets about the game, it's to organize information about the game primarily so that new players don't have to flouder on systems that should be explained well, but aren't (primary vs secondary skills is a prime example).

If the attitude is, "Players shouldn't know anything other than what's in the game or should figure it out on their own exclusively or need to join a guild an access their knowledge", you are on a path to MO1's population and SV obviously doesn't agree as they are continuing to add tutorials and orientations as much as they can.

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.

I disagree as well.

Its a complex game that requires players to learn and research things.

Some will want to do it in game, some will want to do it outside.

And others will want to learn such information so they can share it.

Biaxil

Aug 28, 2021

Please...there's a huge difference between knowing how to do basic things so that you have a noob level of understanding basic mechanics; and advanced tactics and master crafting recipes.

Reactions: night_vision_elf

Chef

Sep 17, 2021
Respectfully disagree.

There are already a multitude of resources that exist and are in public consumption (exact calculators for resources extracting, crafting statistics results, player created maps with user submitted locations, even spreadsheets of all books locations on this forum).

Firstly the primary purpose of the wiki isn't to reveal secrets about the game, it's to organize information about the game primarily so that new players don't have to flouder on systems that should be explained well, but aren't (primary vs secondary skills is a prime example).

If the attitude is, "Players shouldn't know anything other than what's in the game or should figure it out on their own exclusively or need to join a guild an access their knowledge", you are on a path to MO1's population and SV obviously doesn't agree as they are continuing to add tutorials and orientations as much as they can.
Regarding those calculators, datamining is prohibited by the ToS. If SV had the means they would be taking those sites down.

SV is adding in tutorials for the basics of the game sure but strawmaning that to assert that SV wants complete knowledge of their game to be readily available is just plain incorrect.

Chef

Sep 17, 2021
Please...there's a huge difference between knowing how to do basic things so that you have a noob level of understanding basic mechanics; and advanced tactics and master crafting recipes.
The basics exist in the form of tutorials. Where to find certain ingredients, stats for items, calculators etc should be left to players to figure out, not read up on a wiki.

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
The basics exist in the form of tutorials. Where to find certain ingredients, stats for items, calculators etc should be left to players to figure out, not read up on a wiki.

I believe that basic information being made available to players will be essential to the games growth and survival.

Sure, some information should and will be limited. The best healing potions recipes for example will most likely not be widely shared. But that's not to say that the basics of how to make simple potions should not be available to get someone started.

Players that want to learn strictly on their own through experimentation in the game can do so. The game itself is not holding their hand and spoon feeding them the information.

However, there are still those that would preferer or even need outside information to be able to get into the game.

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
The whole point of Mortal games cannot be for each individual to figure out everything for himself, nor to always explore alone, or there would not be the great emphasis on guilds. Some players prefer to learn on their own; some people actually like to teach. Some guilds have their own private libraries, maps, sheets, etc, and I can find nothing wrong with that, either.
  • I've come to this conclusion after watching what guilds in Mortal Games do for over a decade;
A wiki would undermine all the hard work and effort needed to accomplish things in this game. The whole point of MO is for people to explore and figure things out on their own, not regurgitate information found from wikis.
Wikis could be said to regurgitate information, if you dislike them. People apply the information they get from any source outside the game. It's a small distinction.

Eventually, few things are a secret to most players (@Henrik Nyström did once say that there were a number, presumably small, of things in Mortal Online 1 that no player ever found. Not everyone finds this credible, so I will simply say "Maybe so.") Also eventually, not finding out about the existence of things in the game and what those things are like and how to find them is a decision that an individual player has to make-- to NOT look it up.

• Wikis are, ultimately, "mostly harmless"-- fine because they are made and used voluntarily. About the only way they can really go wrong is with bad editing.

Also, what usually (though not always) happens with a public wiki about an MO game is that not much gets added or done. Maybe that means that once people find out something, they most often don't share it in that format.

Last edited:

Chef

Sep 17, 2021
I believe that basic information being made available to players will be essential to the games growth and survival.

Sure, some information should and will be limited. The best healing potions recipes for example will most likely not be widely shared. But that's not to say that the basics of how to make simple potions should not be available to get someone started.

Players that want to learn strictly on their own through experimentation in the game can do so. The game itself is not holding their hand and spoon feeding them the information.

However, there are still those that would preferer or even need outside information to be able to get into the game.
Everything basic is or should be in the form of a tutorial. Unless the wiki would be just a transcript of the tutorial there's no reason for it to exist other than to give away information that should be kept secret/left to experimentation to obtain.

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
Everything basic is or should be in the form of a tutorial. Unless the wiki would be just a transcript of the tutorial there's no reason for it to exist other than to give away information that should be kept secret/left to experimentation to obtain.

I think the operative word there is should. Yet it isn't, and likely won't be.

Even with Henrik glowing about how amazing and useful the combat and crafting tutorials were, when someone mentioned that SV should explain primary vs secondary skills, he hesitated, as he said he doesn't want to overwhelm the new player with knowledge.

Think about the wiki as the in-game "help" system which almost every game have, but MO2 doesn't, and I think likely won't, just given their size. The help system is meant to explain basic game mechanics, of which MO2 has significantly more than most games, and which operate differently than most games.

We as a community would be helping them create a more in-depth help system for those who want to read up. We know that even the tutorial NPCs who give paragraphs of text just get skipped over, but people will often try to google/look things up when they don't understand a system or how it works.

Let me give you a few examples of things which SHOULD be explained in game, but aren't:
  • Secondary vs Primary skills and skills dependent on other skills, the freaking skill system in general.
  • Skill overflow.
  • De-learning skills.
  • How to determine which attributes raise from which skills and how attributes affect skill points.
  • +/-/lock of skills and attributes.
  • Skills that can be learned by use vs learned by book
  • How casting magic actually works (can't move or disrupt, self vs other cast, spells in memory etc).
  • Feeding pets, hunger/loyalty and XP gain.
  • Taming vs Creature Control vs Herding and pet points.
  • Broad strokes types of things that can be done in the game.
  • Armor weight vs carry weight.
  • Equipment hits vs blocks vs parries..
  • What the starting cities are, what they look like, where they are and why you might choose one over another.
  • How to leave Haven.
Ideally ALL of these would be explained in the game through polished tutorials etc (none of these are secrets, they are basic game mechanics) but they aren't, and given SV's workload vs team size, probably won't for a while. You could say people should learn these via experimentation (and people can), but the vast majority learn it by someone explaining it to them, if at all. In the meantime, countless people just bounce off the game.

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.

Yes, MO has that depth for someone to dig into and learn those things on their own. But that type of dedicated player is only a small percentage that played MO. Many other MO players relied on the information that those dedicated players shared over time.

Chef

Sep 17, 2021
I think the operative word there is should. Yet it isn't, and likely won't be.

Even with Henrik glowing about how amazing and useful the combat and crafting tutorials were, when someone mentioned that SV should explain primary vs secondary skills, he hesitated, as he said he doesn't want to overwhelm the new player with knowledge.

Think about the wiki as the in-game "help" system which almost every game have, but MO2 doesn't, and I think likely won't, just given their size. The help system is meant to explain basic game mechanics, of which MO2 has significantly more than most games, and which operate differently than most games.

We as a community would be helping them create a more in-depth help system for those who want to read up. We know that even the tutorial NPCs who give paragraphs of text just get skipped over, but people will often try to google/look things up when they don't understand a system or how it works.

Let me give you a few examples of things which SHOULD be explained in game, but aren't:
  • Secondary vs Primary skills and skills dependent on other skills, the freaking skill system in general.
  • Skill overflow.
  • De-learning skills.
  • How to determine which attributes raise from which skills and how attributes affect skill points.
  • +/-/lock of skills and attributes.
  • Skills that can be learned by use vs learned by book
  • How casting magic actually works (can't move or disrupt, self vs other cast, spells in memory etc).
  • Feeding pets, hunger/loyalty and XP gain.
  • Taming vs Creature Control vs Herding and pet points.
  • Broad strokes types of things that can be done in the game.
  • Armor weight vs carry weight.
  • Equipment hits vs blocks vs parries..
  • What the starting cities are, what they look like, where they are and why you might choose one over another.
  • How to leave Haven.
Ideally ALL of these would be explained in the game through polished tutorials etc (none of these are secrets, they are basic game mechanics) but they aren't, and given SV's workload vs team size, probably won't for a while. You could say people should learn these via experimentation (and people can), but the vast majority learn it by someone explaining it to them, if at all. In the meantime, countless people just bounce off the game.
There would be no point if the wiki only covered these basic game mechanics related questions; help chat exists for this reason. Even if this info would be made on a wiki it would be a very small project as anything more such as location of materials, extraction ratios, calculators should be strictly prohibited.

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
There would be no point if the wiki only covered these basic game mechanics related questions; help chat exists for this reason. Even if this info would be made on a wiki it would be a very small project as anything more such as location of materials, extraction ratios, calculators should be strictly prohibited.

Sure, honestly I'm open to that, depending on what the community thinks, though I will point out that these resources are commonly passed around and I've never heard SV explicitly say they aren't allowed.

Again, the primary purpose of the wiki is so that new players have a single place where they can be oriented to the mechanics of the game beyond the tutorials without needing to use help chat (since it's both unreliable, people answer the same questions over and over, and some people will not use help chat, they'll google, not find it and get frustrated).

The goal (for me) is to use the Wiki as more of an FAQ of how the game works. As SV adds more stuff to the tutorial/in-game help, great.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

ShredFred

Apr 5, 2021
Don’t use fandom as a Wiki. Before rallying community support please look into alternatives and make some research. Games like path of exile Community actively moving away from that Plattform and have several concurrent wiki projects going on.

Reactions: Goremor

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
Don’t use fandom as a Wiki. Before rallying community support please look into alternatives and make some research. Games like path of exile Community actively moving away from that Plattform and have several concurrent wiki projects going on.

Open to recommendations. It's free, MO1 was on there, as was Crowfall.

Reactions: Najwalaylah
Jan 23, 2021
Same thing with multiple accounts. While it is not explicitly said it's unallowed SV greatly frowns upon it. Having all the games secrets made readily available goes against the spirit of MO.
Not true. If this was true than you couldn't purchase donate for multiple clients in your SV account. Having to authenticate through Steam makes it very difficult (ie - discouraged) to actively play multiple accounts at the same time, but that is different than having multiple accounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.