Melee Morphing

Ulysses

Sep 5, 2020
I have been informed that the high end pvpers in this game rely on "morphing" (showing your back to the enemy while swinging or looking the opposite direction of your swing etc) in a bid to "mask your attacks" and get through an opponents block. The argument here is if you don't do it you won't be successful in high end combat because everyone else is doing it.

I really dislike this to be honest, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth and feels like borderline exploiting the game's animations. "Morphing" put me off chivalry and Mordau. Furthermore I know one person who refuses to even try this game because of this and may potentially stop a friend of mine from playing further.

I just wanted to see what the community thinks of this and if the developers are planning on making changes to prevent this (for example making perfect blocking harder)?

Last edited:

Konrad

Feb 24, 2021
Ireland
I have been informed that the high end pvpers in this game rely on "morphing" (showing your back to the enemy while swinging or looking the opposite direction of your swing etc) in a bid to get through an opponents block. The argument here is if you don't do it you won't be successful in high end combat because everyone else is doing this.

I really dislike this to be honest, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth and feels like borderline exploiting the game's animations. "Morphing" put me off chivalry and Mordau. Furthermore I know one person who refuses to even try this game because of this and may potentially stop a friend of mine from playing further.

I just wanted to see what the community thinks of this and if the developers are planning on making changes to prevent this (for example making perfect blocking harder)?

making perfect blocking harder will only make it harder for new players, people swinging from opposite directions and masking their attacks are just playing the game, this is the current gameplay to change it you would have to overhaul entire combat system, which they are tweaking, like deleting the 'hit the ground -weapon reset' and making everything generally faster

PS I personally like the current system because its challanging and takes time to learn and master, its not just mindless block -> riposte-> block -> riposte you actually have to train, work on your technique and style of fighting

Jinn666

Aug 11, 2021
I have been informed that the high end pvpers in this game rely on "morphing" (showing your back to the enemy while swinging or looking the opposite direction of your swing etc) in a bid to get through an opponents block. The argument here is if you don't do it you won't be successful in high end combat because everyone else is doing this.

What is morphing

Draug

May 22, 2021
Sverige
www.vikingsonshrooms.com
Morphing is primarily used in 1v1, an mimics combat in real life. Due to the limited amount of animations in the game, the movement is exadurated.

If you don't like it you can adopt other types of combat: mounted combat, archery, beastmastery or magic.

Be need to go into 1v1 melee if you don't want to.

Reactions: Kokolo
D

Deleted member 44

Morphing is primarily used in 1v1, an mimics combat in real life. Due to the limited amount of animations in the game, the movement is exadurated.

If you don't like it you can adopt other types of combat: mounted combat, archery, beastmastery or magic.

Are you trying to say that turning your back to an opponent is how people fight in real life?

Reactions: Ulysses

Ulysses

Sep 5, 2020

Don't agree with it mimicking combat in real life. If anything, it's the opposite as it's not realistic?

Mortal Online is that kind of game that, embrace or avoid fighting 1v1, it is inevitably that I will find myself in many 1v1 situations. So I can't really ignore the issue of morphing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jybwee

Kokolo

May 3, 2021
There is nothing wrong with masking your attacks. That aspect of it is realistic, and no just feinting isn't as effective. Combat movement is a skill in itself. How would fights look like if everyone just stood there and parried and counter parried? And yes, this is true for 1v1s monstly. In a group fight your coordination skills mean a lot more than tricking your opponent for attacks.

Even if they did change it people would still find the optimal way to play and you would call "exploits" again probably. The current system at least requires skill. Timing your turn, anticipating your opponents position, adjusting the distance, etc. I prefer this over exploiting a feature / bug to get free hits. Like others have said they removed the hitting the ground to avoid the missed hit penalty, as well as adjusted the speed of combat and penalties for missed hits, etc. The combat is being worked on and refined, but movement will always be a skill in itself.

Draug

May 22, 2021
Sverige
www.vikingsonshrooms.com
Are you trying to say that turning your back to an opponent is how people fight in real life?
Masking attacks, yes. Due to the limited amount of animations, turning your back is one of the viable options. The principle is the same in real life.

Reverse elbows is one of the few attacks used in real life where you turn you back, but I was refering to the principle here, not the actual movement.

Reactions: Kokolo

Piet

May 28, 2020
I have been informed that the high end pvpers in this game rely on "morphing" (showing your back to the enemy while swinging or looking the opposite direction of your swing etc) in a bid to "mask your attacks" and get through an opponents block. The argument here is if you don't do it you won't be successful in high end combat because everyone else is doing it.

They do morph but only in duals and 1v1 are not what the game is intended for at all. When the game is released a 1v1 will be rare if ever the game is made for team fights and if you try to do that in a team fight it isn't going to help you and in fact usually will be bad. Also they made it so if you miss you can't block or swing for a bit so when they morph if you avoid the hit they are wide open.

D

Deleted member 44

Masking attacks, yes. Due to the limited amount of animations, turning your back is one of the viable options. The principle is the same in real life.

Reverse elbows is one of the few attacks used in real life where you turn you back, but I was refering to the principle here, not the actual movement.
Yeah no. No one that fights with swords intentionally turns there back. There might be some rare cases of highly athletic people doing a spin or shit but they aren't wearing steel armor.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020

No one cares.

Kameyo

Aug 14, 2020
It's a lot easier with macros get a 360 spin and one that looks all the way straight up and back. Use autohot key and bind them to extra mouse buttons or keys. Another thing you can do is turn your screen resolution way down and stretch it back across the monitor that makes the player bigger on your screen.

The bigger you make the player helps with identifying what animation he's trying to break. With many long hours of practice you will get the hang of it and the frustration you feel from having all your swings easily parried will be gone.

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
It's a lot easier with macros get a 360 spin and one that looks all the way straight up and back. Use autohot key and bind them to extra mouse buttons or keys. Another thing you can do is turn your screen resolution way down and stretch it back across the monitor that makes the player bigger on your screen.

The bigger you make the player helps with identifying what animation he's trying to break. With many long hours of practice you will get the hang of it and the frustration you feel from having all your swings easily parried will be gone.
Do you really use autohotkey for this?

Ulysses

Sep 5, 2020
No one cares.
1628815272632.png
I do? So do the two people I mentioned in my original post?

I think I understand what you're trying to do here: make the topic seem irrelevant. For those players that have already learnt, practiced and got good at morphing, they would like to keep this in the game so that they retain their competitive advantage. That's fair, but if you look past your own preferences is this actually a good meta for the health of the game? Will a morphing combat meta help keep people playing? Probably for the players at the top of the pvp pyramid due to its complexity, but for the majority of others I don't think so.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jybwee and Astinos

Kokolo

May 3, 2021
View attachment 1946
I do? So do the two people I mentioned in my original post?

I think I understand what you're trying to do here: make the topic seem irrelevant. For those players that have already learnt, practiced and got good at morphing, they would like to keep this in the game so that they retain their competitive advantage. That's fair, but if you look past your own preferences is this actually a good meta for the health of the game? Will a morphing combat meta help keep people playing? Probably for the players at the top of the pvp pyramid due to its complexity, but for the majority of others I don't think so.
A tendency people have is thinking that their own personal preferences are good for the game. I don't believe a majority of people will be turned off from the game for people masking their attacks. More likely they will go away because someone killed them even though they were defenceless. If you cannot mask your attacks it just becomes a parry fest with little to no skill.

No matter what alternative you bring in it will be exploited. This "exploit" requires skill, so I don't mind it. And what would you even do to change it? Why would you punish a player who figured out how to move more efficiently in a fight? You said you have a problem but offered no alternative. How would you change it for a first person directional combat game? Right now we have penalties for missed hits. If you move better than them you can avoid their attacks and punish them.