Melee Combat, is this it?

Archiel

Apr 5, 2021
Melee combat in its current state has fighters looking for bugs to abuse rather than getting better at positioning, reflexes and sweet spot range, the most stupid looking "trick" you see now is the "praise the sun" looking into the clouds to try to trick your opponent into thinking its an overhead strike.

Other issues like Ping difference are still there, combat has slowed so its not as bad but yes SV its still there.

i guess my question is, is this it? are the mechanics and animations we have now going through to persistent release?

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
This is more than likely it. If we are lucky we will get a few improvements over the next couple years.

Rhias

May 28, 2020
The current state of melee combat is the reason why I will most likely play an archer at persistent.
You can't kill everyone solo in decent time, unless the enemy does suck at blocking or you "abuse" the mechanics by e. g. looking into the sky, which I refuse to do.
Most weapon animations are super easy to read, and it's hard to not block them.
Especially the 1h weapon animations...

Reactions: Rorry and Archiel

Apocryphal

May 28, 2020
I really hope not... The combat feels really good, but the skill ceiling is just so low right now, and the only thing lifting it up above non-existent is the funky weird work arounds. MO 2 pvp videos gonna be full of sky twirling...

Reactions: cerqo

cerqo

Mar 17, 2021
Remove blocking and you suddenly have to actually use your brain and movement again, just like pre-awakening MO1 lmao, it really is hilarious how everything ive ever said about MO1 turned out to be true down the line. I even remember making a thread saying its best to just shut down MO1 and start working on an MO2 but all the kids started crying saying it was super pessimistic, funny where were at now.

Hopefully it improves a lot when they add ways to counter the braindead blocking (which is a direct portover from MO1 post awakening). Only trash players cried about ping in MO1 before they made the blocking braindead easy, they literally shot themselves in the foot and solved the problem with the most trash implementation of combat ive ever seen. Sure anyone with good ping is going to have an easy time blocking with the 180 degree arcs, but pre-awakening MO1 you didnt need to block even though you still could, the arc wasnt 180 degrees and no matter your ping you could outplay your opponent.

Blocking being the 100% damage negation it is and having such a huge arc, makes it inherently ping based. If blocking wasnt so braindead strong and easy, the combat wouldnt be so ping based. Since SV refuses to do anything about this trash blocking system, they decide to "work around" it and try to make it less ping based by slowing down swings so much you literally have seconds to react to a swing, Sure now everyone can participate in the Runescape combat, but theres so little skill ceiling to this, its laughable.

Lets face it, this shit blocking system that got implemented way back in awakening in MO1 is what dragged the skill ceiling back in that game and now this game down to the mud. People are only complaining now in this game, because its literally gone so far that you can BARELY do anything about it with these slow motion swings. Some people noticed its effects already after the first release post awakening, but most zerglings ofc had no clue about it. Now when they try to attack someone and have every single swing parried, considering anyone can do it, suddenly its a problem on their radar too.

I think the sad truth is that SV doesnt really care much about making the combat as skillbased as possible. I think they are more concerned about it being more "realistic" and mainstream.

Morwen

Mar 18, 2021
the most stupid looking "trick" you see now is the "praise the sun" looking into the clouds to try to trick your opponent into thinking its an overhead strike.

Actually I dont see anything wrong with trying to bait the opponent with emotes, spinning, etc I prefer that over just hack & slash.

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
Actually I dont see anything wrong with trying to bait the opponent with emotes, spinning, etc I prefer that over just hack & slash.
It is less a "bait" and more a way that animations get behind the movement and causes one to have little time to react, or even for the animations to skip some of the in-between visuals depending on the latency and ping differences between the players. It shouldn't be thought of as player skill (even though I know people with quicker reaction time can use it more effectively,) because it is a way to push the technology beyond it's capability. Technically it is the same problem we had in MO1 just in a different form, so it is interesting to see people defend it and condemn MO1 combat.
For my part, I would rather we changed back to MO1 combat rather than what we have here. I liked to feel like I could progress and get better at combat by putting effort into learning and practicing.

Archiel

Apr 5, 2021
it makes the game look bad for anyone watching on the outside wondering why people keep staring at the sun

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
I dont think Henrik cares much about the combat being skillbased so much that is playable for a global server. They havent touched it since last year so I bet its finished for them. At most expect to get the kick in a few months after persistence.

Tron

Apr 8, 2021
I would take a look at M&B Warband for some inspiration. Make feinting easier with right click and not having to use walk to feint. Maybe even include some sort of chambering (blocking an incoming attack with a well timed attack) etc.

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
I dont think Henrik cares much about the combat being skillbased so much that is playable for a global server. They havent touched it since last year so I bet its finished for them. At most expect to get the kick in a few months after persistence.
That's unfortunate. I haven't been fighting much, just waiting and hoping it would get better.