Melee Combat Guide(outdated)

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
Chambering: Holding your swing prepared to attack. Parry incoming attack while holding your swing back, recharge swing and and lead your swing.
Fainting: using the "walk key" can drop your attack without swinging or blocking.

Tent pop: push everyone off tent, prep Maul for hit, bonk as they try to get back on. :D

Reactions: Dracu
D

Dracu

Chambering: Holding your swing prepared to attack. Parry incoming attack while holding your swing back, recharge swing and and lead your swing.
Fainting: using the "walk key" can drop your attack without swinging or blocking.

Tent pop: push everyone off tent, prep Maul for hit, bonk as they try to get back on. :D
does chambering even work? Havent seen it. Added a page regarding feinting and combat basics.
The art of tent feighting xD I like it.

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
Lol dont count the maul thing, was just joking !!

Chambering does work. You hold attack and block whichever way you please. Even behind you;P

I might be wrong here. I think the default walk key is ctlr

Last edited:
D

Dracu

Chambering does work. You hold attack and block whichever way you please. Even behind you;P
From my understanding chambering is pulling the weapon in the same direction the attack is coming from negating the incomming attack while charging its own. What you mean is canceling an attack with a quick block instead. Good tip btw, will add it.

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020

I might be wrong here. I think the default walk key is ctlr
chambering is not in game lol, wtf u smoking xD

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
This is not Mordhau.
But the combat does look like Age of Chivalry.
People running around with max mouse sensitivity.

D

Dracu

Is chambering about using your weapons mesh to block? As is in [Equipment] hit? If so I found that suuper unrealiable.
its not possible at all atm. you get the equipment hit but it doesnt stop the swing so it just continues and does the damage as a second hit.

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
chambering is not in game lol, wtf u smoking xD

The mechanic itself isn't. In the way to go about it is a parry... I'm going to practice what I'm talking about, I'll post a video. Though the mechanic isnt in the game (or it is and isnt working as intended) there is a way to achieve the same thing as a chambering attack. But the way the games weapons messes are you dont always hit another weapons mess for some reason. It also does 2 different damages as the game is trying to calculate for something but isnt doing it right ( unless we can hit multiple targets, which I havent seen ) or it's a bug in the damage delt. Chambering and parrieing are nearly the same, though ones a times block(parry) and the other is a timed attack (Chambering). The chambering I'm talking about would be extremely hard to use as your timing the draw back of your attack to the release of another players attack. I feel like this could be MO2 way of chambering. When humans train for combat, a counter attack is what parries and chambering is in gaming.

What if chambering is super hard because it's a purely skill based move not and a built in mechanic? Similar to people manipulating the swings to make it hard to see the angle, this is manipulating your draw to interrupt someone attack instead of creating an opportunity. Either way I'll have some video hopefully next weekend to share.

Kavu

Jun 21, 2020
USA
I strongly prefer directional keys. Control scheme feels like much more of a preference thing in MO2 than in 1. I wouldn't include "Use experimental" as a tip unless you just want more people testing the experimental. You'd be better off explaining the advantages of each.

Some great advantages of using movement keys rather than mouse:

1) The keys will never give you an attack you weren't asking for, just because your wrist wasn't perfectly aligned. A key is either pressed or it isn't.

2) You don't have to swing your head around to cock back a swing, disorienting your aim, and possibly allowing an opponent to sidestep.

3) You don't have to drag your mouse one way, and then back the other to drag your swings, you can just skip right to the way you want it to go, which is faster by default.

4) For low ping fighters, opponents can't watch your turning to guess which way you're going to swing, because you don't turn, you keep your eyes centered on them, which is more intimidating for sure.

4.5) Keeping your eyes on your opponent will only become more important if/when blocking arcs are introduced.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Its just a learning thing and a preference. In Mordhau people usually play with complete mouse aim and it works perfectly fine.

Most of those points can even be thrown around to say the same thing about key directionals.

The amount you actually have to move your mouse is extremely small, especially with the experimental dragging mode on, I've found.

And also, its a lot easier to read swing direction through movement than it is through even unsubtle mouse movement. Like sidestepping in one direction and suddenly stopping is a clear sign that the swing direction is going to change and continuously strafing in one direction severely limits the attacks you have to expect. You'd have to figure out which mode the person you are fighting is using first though.

In either case it is such a non-factor anyway.

D

Dracu

I strongly prefer directional keys. Control scheme feels like much more of a preference thing in MO2 than in 1. I wouldn't include "Use experimental" as a tip unless you just want more people testing the experimental. You'd be better off explaining the advantages of each.

Some great advantages of using movement keys rather than mouse:

1) The keys will never give you an attack you weren't asking for, just because your wrist wasn't perfectly aligned. A key is either pressed or it isn't.

2) You don't have to swing your head around to cock back a swing, disorienting your aim, and possibly allowing an opponent to sidestep.

3) You don't have to drag your mouse one way, and then back the other to drag your swings, you can just skip right to the way you want it to go, which is faster by default.

4) For low ping fighters, opponents can't watch your turning to guess which way you're going to swing, because you don't turn, you keep your eyes centered on them, which is more intimidating for sure.

4.5) Keeping your eyes on your opponent will only become more important if/when blocking arcs are introduced.
I prefer movement for attacking too, but for blocking i like the drag option alot more then directional block. It feels natural coming from m&b. For attack i find drag actually pretty pretty bad too.

Kavu

Jun 21, 2020
USA
I prefer movement for attacking too, but for blocking i like the drag option alot more then directional block. It feels natural coming from m&b. For attack i find drag actually pretty pretty bad too.
I've heard of a lot of people using mixed, but that just seems like too many things to try to have your brain and fingers doing at once when you're tryna think of ways to get the drop on your opponent. Again though, preference!