Make poles 1 primary

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
In MO1 pre handle nerf, poles were busted. they were 2 primaries for a reason. Then after the handle nerf, they were way worse but still pretty good because you could still put great blades on a stick.

MO2 this is not the case. Poles are balanced to not be a better weapon than the others. You have a much shorter blade than swords, and its slower. Theres no reason to have a weapon that not supposed to be better than the others, take twice as many primaries to use. Pole swords should just be another primary of its own, like every other weapon type, or just be under spears or axes.

Spears are just a dagger on a stick but thats called spears primary. Clubs and axes are also heads on sticks, but those dont randomly require the spears primary to use. Theres no reason the poles that are just worse swords should be 2 primaries when they could just be a poleswords primary. And poleaxes could just count as an axe, because thats what they are. an axe on a longer handle. At what point of handle length should does an axe magically need a new skill to use? And clubs should be able to have a poleaxe length handle, just like axes. And that would still be a club.

In a game with 1 character slot its really lame to have 1 weapon type randomly need 2 primaries, when you need to try and do as much as you can with your 1 character. Theres currently 0 reason to use poles besides you want to because they are cool.

Id say most people will agree that currently swords are better than poles, even if poles were 1 primary. so there would be nothing op about the change, it would just help the weapon to be less dead content.

Also please give longer club handles so I can make a pole hammer. Thanks

Reactions: strycio and Gronil

Grack

Aug 28, 2020
they just changed poles to allow the flick animation back, so its worth waiting to see how that changes things because that animation is what helped make poles such a useful weapon type.

As far as axes and pole axes are the same thing, I mean, they arn't. People had to train to use pole axes. A spear isn't the same as a pike, a dagger isn't the same as a sword.

1v1 these weapons are not particularly amazing but in group fights they certainly are. Also consider this, you have axes, spears, pole axes, and poleswords for only 2 primaries, you're actually getting more for less. Having the skill means you can drop a shorter handle with a fast weapon head and have something like a sword. You have every type of weapon style, axes is almost as good as blunt, spear and shield is awesome in group fights, poleswords can be long or short depending and give you 4 directional attacks, and poleaxes hit like a truck and are quite useful if played right.

Personally I like the way it is, if you go something like thursar with only MC or even just a mount for riding you can invest in poleswords and be a ground fighter equipped for any kind of fight and role in the meele gorup.

I recommend you play around with shield and spear, and carry an axe or short polesword (or long depending on what you like) and you'll see the benefits.

I could see there being an argument for poles being either both under the the same primary or split into their own two in regards to hybrids having greater access to them however.

Last edited:
Reactions: Valoran

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
As far as axes and pole axes are the same thing, I mean, they arn't. People had to train to use pole axes. A spear isn't the same as a pike, a dagger isn't the same as a sword.
In this case though, they could just make poles its own primary if they didnt want to split the pole weapons into different similar ones that already exist (like making pole axes axe skill). This would also prevent it from having one weapon type give too many options.

Also if they did this, it would be just like it is now in that if you wanted to take 2 primaries you can take more weapons. But right now if you want to take poleswords because you like them, you have to take 2 primaries and be forced into having more options. When you wanted to just take your 1 weapon primary and use 1 weapon type like every other weapon does.

And the flick animation is a good buff to poles. But that just helps make it not a worse sword. Still not op enough to need 2 primaries.

Grack

Aug 28, 2020
In this case though, they could just make poles its own primary if they didnt want to split the pole weapons into different similar ones that already exist (like making pole axes axe skill). This would also prevent it from having one weapon type give too many options.

Also if they did this, it would be just like it is now in that if you wanted to take 2 primaries you can take more weapons. But right now if you want to take poleswords because you like them, you have to take 2 primaries and be forced into having more options. When you wanted to just take your 1 weapon primary and use 1 weapon type like every other weapon does.

And the flick animation is a good buff to poles. But that just helps make it not a worse sword. Still not op enough to need 2 primaries.
yeah I mean i'm not super against it. I think what this will really means is hybrids can pick up a polesword and foot fighters will have less variety. If you look at this from a pure foot fighter perspective its kinda a slight nerf to strentching your skill points, I mean for only one extra primary you get all meele combat styles which is a decent investment.

I wouldn't lose sleep over it if they changed it at the end of the day :p

Smough

Jul 4, 2020
They are currently very strong post patch and with the correct materials they are very powerful weapons. The two primaries is a balance issue as much as a logical issue. They swing like and axe and they stab like a spear...

Kebek

Jan 11, 2021
What a coincidence. Poles just became a lot better again after the patch and NOW is the time you want them to be cheaper to be used stats wise?

Reactions: Valoran

Weathermore

Apr 5, 2021
I think that Poleswords should require swords (or spears), and be a sub under that, and Poleaxes should require axes, and be a sub under that. The fact that they are 200 points to use is not great, and they certainly are not 100 points better than any weapon type, and we are severely limited on skill points as it is.

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
What a coincidence. Poles just became a lot better again after the patch and NOW is the time you want them to be cheaper to be used stats wise?
Haha no I've wanted to use poles since alpha started and I dont think that even with the buff they are worth 2 primaries. I have 1 character I need to stretch my build. That doesnt mean I shouldn't be able to use my melee weapon of choice, that isnt op and has no reason to cost more primaries. Just like my mace on a stick or axe on a stick, a blade on a stick shouldnt all of a sudden be worth 2.

Reactions: Rorry

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
I agree with the OP, and would like to see either that change or one from another thread that Melee combat become the primary and the individual weapon skills become secondaries.

Reactions: Jatix