itemization

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
I had suggested this previously but please drastically change the itemization from MO1

• remove all the vendors and replace anything that you'd currently find only on a vendor with some way to get or craft the same product in-game (arrows, bandaids, etc). maybe some exceptions from this like house deeds but otherwise *everything* should be crafted by players
  • limit direct coin drops to a few types of things
    • humanoid mobs
    • bosses (humanoid or not, maybe they like to hoard shiny things)
    • lockpick chests or ruins/dungeons and the like (dead adventurers)
  • put an emphasis on broker use, selling things to other players should be the most common way to get coin
having vendors with infinite wealth, ready to buy useless materials that nobody wants with static prices is a horrible way to have the economy run

-barcode

Slammington Unchained

May 28, 2020
Ah yes something short enough that my attention span is able to read and digest.

I agree that vendors should be borderline abolished. Henrik took a step in the right direction with the removal of wood, cotton and various reagents from the wood, leather and reagent vendors respectively. These things should all be player gathered.

However, I worry that with limited vendors, gold will continuously increase and inflate the economy as players have no means of spending/removing the gold permenantly from the economy, a function that NPC vendors would've accomplished. Hopefully the RubenBank Rubcoin will take off and provide a fixed, uninflatable currency value which can compensate for the inflation of regular gold coins.

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
no means of spending/removing the gold permenantly from the economy, a function that NPC vendors would've accomplished.
presumably the broker would receive heavy use as the main means for trade, and should have some fees involved that serve as a sink

right now buy orders have no fee but certainly there should be some cost involved there as well

-barcode

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Ah yes something short enough that my attention span is able to read and digest.

I agree that vendors should be borderline abolished. Henrik took a step in the right direction with the removal of wood, cotton and various reagents from the wood, leather and reagent vendors respectively. These things should all be player gathered.

However, I worry that with limited vendors, gold will continuously increase and inflate the economy as players have no means of spending/removing the gold permenantly from the economy, a function that NPC vendors would've accomplished. Hopefully the RubenBank Rubcoin will take off and provide a fixed, uninflatable currency value which can compensate for the inflation of regular gold coins.

When someone makes your troll argument and is dead serious.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
I had suggested this previously but please drastically change the itemization from MO1

• remove all the vendors and replace anything that you'd currently find only on a vendor with some way to get or craft the same product in-game (arrows, bandaids, etc). maybe some exceptions from this like house deeds but otherwise *everything* should be crafted by players
  • limit direct coin drops to a few types of things
    • humanoid mobs
    • bosses (humanoid or not, maybe they like to hoard shiny things)
    • lockpick chests or ruins/dungeons and the like (dead adventurers)
  • put an emphasis on broker use, selling things to other players should be the most common way to get coin
having vendors with infinite wealth, ready to buy useless materials that nobody wants with static prices is a horrible way to have the economy run

-barcode
This is a bad idea. Play LiF if you want to know why.

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
This is a bad idea. Play LiF if you want to know why.
i have not played LIF, so im not sure the comparison you're making. perhaps you can elaborate a bit?

i cant imagine that having everything be craftable is the issue, in practicality, it means you dont have to be tied to a town and can live in the wilderness. win?

so it must be about coin generation, but not sure why thats an issue? do we really need vendors to buy infinite bone tissue for coin? why not have a functional broker you can throw some seadew at for monies instead?

-barcode

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
i have not played LIF, so im not sure the comparison you're making. perhaps you can elaborate a bit?

i cant imagine that having everything be craftable is the issue, in practicality, it means you dont have to be tied to a town and can live in the wilderness. win?

so it must be about coin generation, but not sure why thats an issue? do we really need vendors to buy infinite bone tissue for coin? why not have a functional broker you can throw some seadew at for monies instead?

-barcode
Also if gold drops are limited those places will become pvp hotspots, I like it. Plus theres gonna be higher demand for materials since anybody can be a crafter

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020

-barcode
It has to do with the identity of the game. Mortal Online is a fantasy sandbox and LiF is a "true sandbox". They may sound similar but the differences become very apparent very quickly.

In brief. In a true sandbox like LiF you have absolutely nothing that you or someone else hasn't created minus a few rogue apple trees. This makes game play a simple matter of who am I grouped with and what can we do.

Mortal Online isn't that game. You exist within a world that isn't created by you merely influenced by you. You won't change that there was a Tindremic Empire. You won't unpersecute the thursars.

If you want to be the hermit who lives in the jungle off sator spears you can, if you want to be the "company of tindrem" you can.

In short its fun to feel like you're playing a single player game to some extent. If I want to level my intel by crafting stuff out of cotton I don't really need you involved in that in some "player interaction" to make good game play. Why don't we just player interact on an island in the bahamas what do we even need the game for at this point

Reactions: Najwalaylah

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
In short its fun to feel like you're playing a single player game to some extent.
i would counter that this is an MMO, its kinda intended to be played in a group, but I can also understand the frustration of not having the 'x crafting guy' around so being unable to get something done.

i'm not saying to get rid of the broker. the broker can, and should, be a major part of each city and indeed of how the economy happens, but do we really need to buy arrows and bandaids from a vendor? why should vendors have infinite gold and an infinite interest in your waste products? if we remove the vendor, players can list their crafted arrows and bandaids on the broker, moving the economy more into the players hands and also removing the infinite gold faucet that is the vendor.

-barcode

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California
I would like to see them limit the gold that vendors have available, and severely reduce what they buy from us.

Long-term, maybe make it so the reagent vendor in like fabernum will only offer to buy calamine off you for the rate and amount that a buy order for calamine is listed on the broker...so the whole vendor system is directly tied into the broker or something.

Or at the very least make the price a vendor will give you for a certain resource be inversely proportional to his stock, or even the cities total stock so the more he has the less he'll buy from you etc, and maybe even make prices heavily favor resources that are outside of the region so even if there will still be resources we don't necessarily use but are more like a commodity you're meant to kind of trade for money, it would incentivize traveling to trade etc.

Overall tho I think I'd most like to see no vendors buying our crap, and no bottomless pits of vendor generated gold. I think it'd be the best way to limit inflation. Instead maybe we'd have this barter economy that developed organically and you'd see a common resource which has inherent value become a trading commodity like how salt or other things historically were in the past. Probably wouldn't work in a game, but I think it's interesting at least.

We already know they're going to have a similar setup as MO1 had with them having vendors in the beginning selling the stuff we can't yet gather or create ourselves and remove those vendors as they implement those things to being gathered, created, and sold by players, but the quicker they can get rid of those vendors the better.

I bought 4 Oghmium lore books the first week of launch selling granum powder to the reagent vendor in MK, that shouldn't have been possible ever.

Edit: Thinking about this a little more, although I'd like to severely limit gold generation via vendors, unless it is heavily offset by a ton of NPCs dropping coin, we'd never have enough coin to put worthwhile buy orders on the broker or buy equipment on there either.

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
Edit: Thinking about this a little more, although I'd like to severely limit gold generation via vendors, unless it is heavily offset by a ton of NPCs dropping coin, we'd never have enough coin to put worthwhile buy orders on the broker or buy equipment on there either.
This. A stable currency needs to be liquid.

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
I bought 4 Oghmium lore books the first week of launch selling granum powder to the reagent vendor in MK, that shouldn't have been possible ever.

Well at least in MO1 there was always a bandit spawn or graveyard nearby most npc towns, you might not be able to print gold from anywhere but that is exactly the point and will help prevent inflation.

Your example is pretty much why we need to limit this. When I lived in GK keep for a bit, I started just vendoring stacks of ironsilk since I could fill up my banks faster than I could sell to other players and also saved travel time. Sarducaa was even worse. If the map is really gonna be 4x old Myrland you cant have ppl making gold from anywhere or the economy is gonna suffer.

Reactions: Zyconnic