Is anyone going to play a pacifist?

sigrace

Dec 10, 2020
Just a post to get people thinking about how they want to play!

Background: I distinctly remember in EvE there was a exploration group called the Signal Cartel who took an oath of pacifism towards all players (if you were an NPC, tough luck). In fact, the guild went as far as helping ships that got lost in wormholes, regardless of their affiliations and killboard. Their reputation became so well known that many groups allowed members of Signal Cartel to travel through their space freely.

With that said, is anyone planning on being a pacifist in Mortal Online 2?
What is your 'oath'? Would you step into the affairs of others or simply mind your own business? Are NPCs free game?
Is there a mechanic coming to this game that would even allow a group to garner a reputation as pacifists, but still have enough to do in game?

I personally hope a group like this is able to pop up. It's a good way to tell your non-combat systems are as engaging as the combat ones.

Grisù

Sep 3, 2020
I really like different playstyles in a MMO, being in a full PVP game does not force you to be harmful.
Said so i would neither play the "classic" good guy, that tryhards to be nice to others.

I was intended to play non-lethal thief this time, by stealing items of other players while they were gathering/processing/crafting in the darkness of the night.
Then SV patched out pitch-black night, and we still don't know much about thievery .

So right now i don't really know, have to wait until more features comes out.
And i'm not much into being only a "service provider" like being only a tamer, blacksmith, alchemist, etc., that would makes me feel like an NPC.

If there will be a way to play against other players without being lethal, I think I'm gonna try it out.

Reactions: Bicorps and sigrace

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
Probably trading guilds. Hopefully multiple will be made and the form an 'alliance' of sorts that keeps them competitive.

Reactions: Things

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
Probably trading guilds. Hopefully multiple will be made and the form an 'alliance' of sorts that keeps them competitive.

I highly doubt it. They never even managed to do neutral well in Mo1. Being a pacifist sounds even harder.

I think it's an interesting concept. Needs some meat to it though. Idealistic guilds don't run well in a vacuum.

Xunila

May 28, 2020
Germany
My play style in MO1 has always been kind of pacifism. Only in the first years of MO1 I participated in sieges or larger fights. Running with the guild to search for PvP has never been in my interest. With the release of Sarducaa I changed to a PvE only style.

sigrace

Dec 10, 2020
I highly doubt it. They never even managed to do neutral well in Mo1. Being a pacifist sounds even harder.

I think it's an interesting concept. Needs some meat to it though. Idealistic guilds don't run well in a vacuum.

I don't disagree. In EvE, Signal Cartel had the ever changing space that Worm holes provided, so you never really knew where you were going to end up. That was the fun part of it and why I was completely satisfied with pacifism rule. It was fun to build ships around exploration and being an escape artist.

I could see a thieves collective/group form, but it would really depend how it's implemented. I'd also imagine having a guild that labels you as a thief would be a pretty dumb thing to do.

Edit: It being thievery skills*

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
I don't disagree. In EvE, Signal Cartel had the ever changing space that Worm holes provided, so you never really knew where you were going to end up. That was the fun part of it and why I was completely satisfied with pacifism rule. It was fun to build ships around exploration and being an escape artist.

I could see a thieves collective/group form, but it would really depend how it's implemented. I'd also imagine having a guild that labels you as a thief would be a pretty dumb thing to do.

Edit: It being thievery skills*

Having played EVE I can imagine that it was fun. But a lot of things that work well in EVE don´t translate well into Mortals game play for one reason or another.

Greyfoxs thievesguild was fairly sucessful. Or not, might have all been a scam.

Back when I was a lone heathen looking for purpose I wrote down a story that might serve as some inspiration for a guild of pacifism.

The Travelers Guild (sociatas viatorum)

When the tindremic empire was still taking child steps toward its later glory and the young emperor erected settlements far from home he faced a singular problem. With every new village and outpost it got increasingly difficult to keep channels of communication open. The legions were hold up in battles far bigger than anyone can imagine today, the clergy prayed for thousands dying of illness and war and the mages where either fighting alongside the emperor or conducting strange experiments. In this time of turmoil whole settlements were destroyed without the officials even realizing it for months.

After a very profitable mine was lost to raiding risars the emperor put forth a degree that asked every young and able man or woman to apply for an organisation called "sociatas viatorum" or in the language of the pleb: "Travelers guild". This caused great concern within the higher castes, since it would allow the Eeta (the scum of tindrem) and the plebeians to organize themselves legally. But the emperor in his infinite wisdom hand selected the individuals and demanded them to swear an holy oath before all gods and good men.

Their duties and responsibilities were the following:

- Establish contact with outposts, mines and settlements created or annexed by the empire
- Transport messages without delay by the fastest means possible
- Gather knowledge about enemies of the empire while travelling across the land
- Train and school promising individuals to love and serf the empire

What started out with less than two dozen recruits became an institution within the tindremic empire. They performed their duties honorably and despite the dangers of the road managed avoiding giving information to enemies of the throne. Yet they still were of low birth and the theurgy and nobilitas looked down on them with contempt and jealousy, because the young emperor loved them well for their loyal service.

As all mortals must die, the emperor left the world looking at accomplishments beyond imagination. The travelers continued their service for the imperial family and after 200 years had not only build a guildhall within Tindrem, but a sophisticated network of offices and stations their agents could use.

Now, where is this famous guildhall and why don`t they carry your messages still?

Wealth and a high station within the plebs were their right, but over the years the solemn vows and silent service were forgotten. The leaders aspired to be part of the nobilitas, seeing as they took a crucial part in the rise of Tindrem. Of course they were refused, since ancient rules forbid such nonsense and noblemen liked to remind even the most powerful and wealthy commoner of that.

Declined of what they believed to be rightfully theirs, they started using their singular position to damage especially proud and thickheaded nobles. Letters were lost or fell into the wrongs hands, mines raided without a word reaching the owner and misinformation spread leading to substantial financial losses for the nobility. At first the travelers guild was not suspected, but over the years their actions became more bold and open, leading to an incident concerning several paramours of the empress herself and letters detailing her sexual preferences. Attempting to damage the empress was one step too far and decisive action was taken leading to the destruction of the guild and their allies.

The remaining travelers tried to remain organized and were hired on private basis for delivering messages and scouting. But without formal oaths and imperial guidance they became a band of mercenaries and criminals offering their services to the highest bidder, even enemies of the empire made use of their services. With the conflux what little remained of the sociatas was scattered and it ceased to exist.

Present day (after the conflux 300 years ago):
While skimming through old scrolls and books taken from an old chest deep within a structure build even before the empire was born, Eldrath Surefoot found this historical record of the sociatas viatorum. A former member - well read and schooled - had tried to preserve what little knowledge remained about the once glorious guild. Intrigued by the idea of recreating this old institution he sat down and started thinking on how it may be done. The conflux has changed the world and the tindremic empire is but a shadow of its former glory, but creating a guild of individuals bound by a common code of honor seemed possible. He then decided to step outside his humble study and share this discovery with scholars on the forum tindrem.

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
I will most likely be nonaggressive and neutral again.

I could not be considered a pacifist though since I will try to fight back at times.

Though I have a short memory so I will not hold a grudge for the long term.

Reactions: Ibarruri

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020

I think increased travel distances and boats will both have a really positive impact on traders. Travel distances because the harder it is to move your goods the more interested you'll be in paying someone else to do it. Boats because they ease travel but may be a significant investment making it easier to pay someone who already has a good merchant vessel than to move your stuff yourself. Especially if you're going to be defending that boat and those goods solo or with a very small group while not having knowledge of the best smuggling routes. As someone whose done a lot of trading in PvP titles I can say the role is 90% smuggler. The most successful traders are the ones who you will almost never see moving goods. The best way to win fights as a trader is to never have them in the first place.

But the most successful of the most successful with be everything I just described above while also being fully capable of winning many fights when they are discovered.

Being a pacifist trader is definitely going to make it a bit harder to turn a profit because being able to dispatch the rabble when you do get discovered is going to save some of your runs. You'd likely want to run very small volumes of goods exclusively by desert horse to be successful as a full pacifist as that's the only situation I can think of where turning to fight may never be your best option.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xunila

bdon12345

Dec 28, 2020
if no one played pacified the trade can't exist thats the point protect my blacsmith he builds for us attack him..... Trinsic is coming. defy the empire and its misellings ... someone made the mistake of telling me about ship mechanicis .... you have no idea what you have brought to nave we never stop . we're good not insiduious
we dont contrl him, whats coming cannt be convienced * drops mead* ugh have to be the one elf with a habbit anyways gandlaf light it up don't attack us in town rerollled for shits in gigles will do agin plus super bug my reroll resparns in trin
idk i just play this shit

Icegoten

Jun 12, 2020
I will try to be a pacifist for a long time. I enjoy taking actions that I believe is evading danger such as taking a certain route, walking along a cliff prepared to jump if I have to knowing I can survive and others likely won't, only moving at certain times, hiding behind trees or rocks, or even talking with the aggressor.

I hate when I stop someone to try to talk to them and then they just start hitting me. I'm always in rags and even when I don't have pet bags on my mount they still attack me. I wish they would at least roleplay a little with me if they are after anything other than a murdercount. Tell me to /droploot and back up and if I don't do it in 10 seconds they will kill me. Still it's a game and everyone can choose to play it however they want but it would be more fun for me at least if there was more communication even if you fully intend to kill me. I want to be able to tell my friends a story about how my journey to Vadda was put to an end instead of just saying someone killed me.

Depending on how magic works there might be magics that are more PvP oriented so I would eventually want to try them out so I might go to a free for all if people even do those.

Reactions: Yeonan

Ibarruri

May 28, 2020
Meduli
My institution is pacifist. The RBT members not use violence or weapons. I will havent intentión use violence too. I am business man. Not warlord.

Reactions: T00_EL1TE