Increase appeal to larger audience

BlackOpsy

Dec 4, 2020
This will always be niche, but you can still grab more players by keeping but streamlining mechanics. I can tell you right now I know people who would look at the crafting, numbers, all the manual tasks and blow this game off where they would like it with making lives easy.

1: Gathering, Crafting , consumption numbers/use.

Why does it take 433 iron, 100 wood to make a sword? Maybe make it 2 wood, 6 iron for a 2h-sword. , 1 wood, 3 wood for a normal sword... just a example...
Why do you mine 67, 33, 48, 3 granium? What not just make it '1' and lower speed as the node runs down.
Why if you are thirsty you consume 47 units of water. Maybe make it like 3.

My point is you can keep the complicated number, but display them simple. Most people don't want to come home from work and build spread sheets for a game.
I am not suggesting increasing or decreasing speed. But normalizing the values to something easier and FUN...

2: Allow full equipment setups that maybe tabbed and crafted, maybe you can put a work order in the bank. But you must have the skills to craft all items, or another player could fulfill it even and thrown into a bag.

Even without grinding mats, it takes time to make all the armor, potions, food, weapons. Timing for all items would take just as long as crafting them individually and maybe a small fee and maybe even a delivery wait.

4: NPC AI, so far very basic... Dark Fall from 2008 had better mob AI with spells, not getting stuck. Is this just a early implementation? Or can we get better AI and MORE AI... We need this world populated with mobs of many types, magic abelites etc.... Lots of people not even PVP oriented would play for amazing PVE content.

NPC AI noiese, they make no noises but dying or being hit. Why cant you hear talking, howls, monster noises... add some ambience....

NPC Bosses / Specials would be nice...

5: Risar dungeon and areas... nice graphics, but NO atmospheric noises... where is the wind noise in tunnels? torch noise? Water drips?
Lack of attention to detail in many of the environments sound wise except outside - but they do look pretty! Polish, details, add to experience.

6: More Banks in town or in areas, cuzz right now if you are in a battle and you get locked down by a zerg, you cant even arm yourself.

7: This is 2021 - Add grouping GUI and let you see health/stanima of your group and maybe estimated distance. It would be MUCH better for players PVEing not in voice chat. It would be MUCH better for people in COMMS not having to tell everyone there stamina, health all the time. I'm thinking up to 10 people in a group.

Maybe even add a PARTY, which allows up to 5 groups or something.

8: Auction House, not sure if it's happening or not, but it needs too.

Hope these suggestions help. This game has a lot of great things going for it. But right now I don't seeing it holding more players then DF, or MO1 long term.

Reactions: agui

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
1 if you think numbers can be simplified like that, you clearly have not experimented in many of the crafting skills. extraction, refining, cooking, potion making, etc all give vastly different results and ratios from materials which cant easily be dropped down to a low number without massive losses in results.

2 i do like the idea of being able to put a gearset 'plan' on the broker that can be filled. require certain skill levels for the items to be filled and crafters can go make the items you want. anything that makes regearing easier is a good idea.

4 i agree the ai is pretty garbage. hopefully seb et al can make it better before henrik goes around touting it as 'next generation ai' again as he did in mo1. many issues with pathing, nonresponsive enemies, no plan to deal with with players 'abusing' terrain, lack of any sort of sane aggro table, etc. the sky's the limit really for creative enemy AI, and what we have now is pretty much rock bottom

7 group/party options have been discussed a lot in the past but unfortunately most vets agree that having no gui promotes situational awareness and forces group communication

8 the auction house needs to have some massive improvements from MO1 now since we have only one toon and will be much more reliant on trade. I fear we will get the old broker and SV will call it good.

-barcode

Reactions: agui

Avenoma

Jan 14, 2021
Why does it take 433 iron, 100 wood to make a sword? Maybe make it 2 wood, 6 iron for a 2h-sword. , 1 wood, 3 wood for a normal sword... just a example...
term.

Its based on the metric system dude. The metrics of their formula allow for a smooth economy. If they did what you wanted, they'd have to come up with an algebraic formula to compensate or it would crash the realms economy, it just wouldnt function 🤣. Far more complex than needed and would eat everyones processing power.

Reactions: Gonzo

BlackOpsy

Dec 4, 2020
Its based on the metric system dude. The metrics of their formula allow for a smooth economy. If they did what you wanted, they'd have to come up with an algebraic formula to compensate or it would crash the realms economy, it just wouldnt function 🤣. Far more complex than needed and would eat everyones processing power.

haha! Well I am just trying to point out the obvious on things that turn away people at first glance. Oh! You need 513 units for that sword... uhh why dood? LMAO....

Avenoma

Jan 14, 2021
no doubt, but please remember. this is labeled a hardcore game. theres nothing that comes close IMO. I want this game to get big too so min/maxing jerks dont ruin the game, but its spirit seems something far more complex than most understand, thats going to take time.
Its very sad to say and I cant believe im saying this,
But Ive been waiting my whole adult life, ever since I played Asherons Call in 99', for games like this. Star Vault simply beat everyone IMO.

Reactions: Alrashid and Rhias

Rhias

May 28, 2020
Funfact regarding 1:
The units are based on weight.
100 Unit = 1kg.
1000 Unit = 10kg.
A 2kg sword will need about 200 Steel.

Zyloth

Nov 24, 2020
A simple decimal point and unit measurement kg on your items would go a long way. 100.00 kg granum, ect. Don't really understand why its not like this already.

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
1. I think the higher numbers have to do with the way crafting works in this game. When you craft a sword, there are sliders where you decide how much of each material you want to put into it.

Also, it might raise some balancing questions. If it costs 1 wood and 3 steel to craft a steel sword (for the sake of illustration), then how much should a siege engine cost, and how much resource should be available in each resource node? If a tree node has 100 wood, then can we make 100 sword handles from one tree? A siege engine might cost 100 wood, so we can craft 1 siege engine out of 1 tree plus 1 ore node?

2. I think the idea of crafting in this game is that the players make all the items, not let the game do it for them.

As for bulk crafting, each individual crafted item is meant to have value and meaning, so that players will take their crafted items with a sense of ownership and pride, and feel the loss when it is taken from them. This all feeds into the concept that all good things take time, and time is money, and money is value.

4. The AI is currently unfinished and in very basic form, we will have to wait and see what SV will do to flesh it out more fully.

5. I would invite you to check out the Fabernum tower if you can. For best effect, play in a dark room at night.

6. It would appear that SV may want players to build their own keeps with banks to facilitate that. When mounts arrive in a few weeks time, I'm guessing they can be equipped with bags that will serve a similar function.

7. This is something that can be brought up in the feedback/suggestions section.

8. The roadmap has pointed out that auction houses are coming sometime in March 2021.

Last edited:
May 28, 2020
1: No "complicated" numbers make games more interested for the players invested for a plenitude of reasons. Your tiny numbers aren't even compatible with the basic premises of the character skill system for gathering for example. Deep sandbox games are all about the economy. Imagine your complaint going on EVE online forum...

2: Crafting templates do exist. You will have to build a stash and interact with the market to fully equip yourself. That's a core fundamental of the game.

4: AI is early iteration. I don't expect magical jumps in AI performance at this point, but it's very much workable and I expect the AI to reach ARK levels and mobs will grow their abilities over time and obviously more animals are to come. The animal kingdom is an important part of Mortal Online economy.

5: Didn't personally visit yet, but I'll take your word for it and agree. Surprising though, Mortal Online 1 Fabernum tower was ultra atmospheric when it comes to sound.

6: Yeah more banks, especially if we expect more players. Bank blocking was already a problem in MO1.

7: No. Imperfect information is a core fundamental of the game. The same reason why the game is in first person.

8: Yes, I pray it's going to be a lot better than MO1. At least have stuff like a proper order book, graphs, market buys etc for RESSOURCES. I realize you can't do a traditional market for crafted items, because they are all different if only by 0.001 points in some stat, but maybe functions such as sort by weight&damage in addition to price.

I think many of your suggestions would destroy core fundamentals of the game and I personally wouldn't like them.

Zbuciorn

Jun 3, 2020
7.Forming a group which can share awards for killing players or mobs would be nice.Someone who participate in that team as logistic support or healer should get something too not only person who got the last hit.
People in the group should not get criminal flag when they duel or hit each other by accident.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
7.Forming a group which can share awards for killing players or mobs would be nice.Someone who participate in that team as logistic support or healer should get something too not only person who got the last hit.
People in the group should not get criminal flag when they duel or hit each other by accident.

I would rather see them abandon the XP gaining through mob killing alltogether and not waste time on cloning a mechanic from themeparks.

I think the current mechanic is workable though. Just share the last hits around.

Ibarruri

May 28, 2020
Meduli
This will always be niche, but you can still grab more players by keeping but streamlining mechanics. I can tell you right now I know people who would look at the crafting, numbers, all the manual tasks and blow this game off where they would like it with making lives easy.

1: Gathering, Crafting , consumption numbers/use.

Why do you mine 67, 33, 48, 3 granium? What not just make it '1' and lower speed as the node runs down.
Why if you are thirsty you consume 47 units of water. Maybe make it like 3.

My point is you can keep the complicated number, but display them simple. Most people don't want to come home from work and build spread sheets for a game.
I am not suggesting increasing or decreasing speed. But normalizing the values to something easier and FUN...

2: Allow full equipment setups that maybe tabbed and crafted, maybe you can put a work order in the bank. But you must have the skills to craft all items, or another player could fulfill it even and thrown into a bag.

Even without grinding mats, it takes time to make all the armor, potions, food, weapons. Timing for all items would take just as long as crafting them individually and maybe a small fee and maybe even a delivery wait.

4: NPC AI, so far very basic... Dark Fall from 2008 had better mob AI with spells, not getting stuck. Is this just a early implementation? Or can we get better AI and MORE AI... We need this world populated with mobs of many types, magic abelites etc.... Lots of people not even PVP oriented would play for amazing PVE content.

NPC AI noiese, they make no noises but dying or being hit. Why cant you hear talking, howls, monster noises... add some ambience....

NPC Bosses / Specials would be nice...

5: Risar dungeon and areas... nice graphics, but NO atmospheric noises... where is the wind noise in tunnels? torch noise? Water drips?
Lack of attention to detail in many of the environments sound wise except outside - but they do look pretty! Polish, details, add to experience.

6: More Banks in town or in areas, cuzz right now if you are in a battle and you get locked down by a zerg, you cant even arm yourself.

7: This is 2021 - Add grouping GUI and let you see health/stanima of your group and maybe estimated distance. It would be MUCH better for players PVEing not in voice chat. It would be MUCH better for people in COMMS not having to tell everyone there stamina, health all the time. I'm thinking up to 10 people in a group.

8: Auction House, not sure if it's happening or not, but it needs too.

Hope these suggestions help. This game has a lot of great things going for it. But right now I don't seeing it holding more players then DF, or MO1 long term.

bad idea man. If you allow materials to be readily available and weapons and armor to be made easily, you will destroy the economy of the game, drive out merchants and PVE players, and ruin the economic circuit. It's good that getting a metal sword requires work and effort. By no means should obtaining materials be allowed to be an easy task and that many weapons can be obtained easily from a pile of steel, tunsteel or jadeite.
There must be a balance between work and reward. In my opinion it should be even more difficult.

JGByrne

Feb 8, 2021
Regarding the item count of materials in crafting, that point just doesn't make sense.
EVE Online is game that is similar to MO in many ways and there the materials go up to the millions and higher quite often. People come out of work and love to make spreadsheets on that game. It's just the nature of these games and it attracts a specific audience.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020

This is not a tab-targeted game. This is a standard feature for TAB-TARGETING. I could see implementing a spell healers could use to track a set number of targets more easily but it shouldn't be a cut and paste from tab-targeted MMOs. As someone who has done a lot of healing across a lot of titles, healing in games like SWTOR and ArcheAge is a very different animal from healing in a game like Darkfall or MO.

Personally, I'd find a spell that makes an actual character model glow green to me or something much more useful when I need to actually aim at the person I'm healing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Avenoma

Dominatrixx

Nov 23, 2020
Most of those suggestions are on point, but you should understand the game is an early beta now and most of those (if not all) features will be added by release time anyway.

BlackOpsy

Dec 4, 2020
Regarding the item count of materials in crafting, that point just doesn't make sense.
EVE Online is game that is similar to MO in many ways and there the materials go up to the millions and higher quite often. People come out of work and love to make spreadsheets on that game. It's just the nature of these games and it attracts a specific audience.

What do you mean? I said keep it AS-IS, just normalize the presentation. You want to explain to people why you need 137 units of water to remove thirst? or 414 cream units? Makes 0 sense. Yes, I agree the crafting, mixing is amazing AS-IS, but it could be better presented is all I am saying!

BlackOpsy

Dec 4, 2020
This is not a tab-targeted game. This is a standard feature for TAB-TARGETING. I could see implementing a spell healers could use to track a set number of targets more easily but it shouldn't be a cut and paste from tab-targeted MMOs. As someone who has done a lot of healing across a lot of titles, healing in games like SWTOR and ArcheAge is a very different animal from healing in a game like Darkfall or MO.

Personally, I'd find a spell that makes an actual character model glow green to me or something much more useful when I need to actually aim at the person I'm healing.

The argument for situation awareness makes 0 sense since everyone uses comms. I never said you could click and heal on names in the GUI. But at least let people oraginze not in same clan, neutral color wise. Also, it adds organization! You could invite neutrals that are friendly into a group so people dont hit by accident. There are many benefits to grouping and no cons. Yeah you could make grouping easy mode - but I never asked for that. I asked to organize people.

Bicorps

Jun 27, 2020
The argument for situation awareness makes 0 sense since everyone uses comms. I never said you could click and heal on names in the GUI. But at least let people oraginze not in same clan, neutral color wise. Also, it adds organization! You could invite neutrals that are friendly into a group so people dont hit by accident. There are many benefits to grouping and no cons. Yeah you could make grouping easy mode - but I never asked for that. I asked to organize people.

No, does not matter which color you are anyways ... Blue Gray or Red... if one of your blue friend turn Gray by accidently hit a friendly. What does it change? Nothing, he still supposed to fight and u still supposed to protect him, Even if you have to turn your whole group grey. and if you have 1 kid in your group saying like "I have 4 MC I dont want turn red !" and leave your other friend dying because he grey... well you should change guild or ban someone.

But a thing I dont like about MO2... is that everyone look the same. In MO1 at least people was roaming around the group and get some visual memory of his group and names so when you go into the teamfight you are a bit more ready to not hit friendly and have a better understanding of the people in the field fighting without looking at every names.

So yeah maybe for now it look like the game need a Group System(Party). But in reality its just aint finish. Just think about the Cape from MO1 was also a good Visual Memory.

BlackOpsy

Dec 4, 2020
No, does not matter which color you are anyways ... Blue Gray or Red... if one of your blue friend turn Gray by accidently hit a friendly. What does it change? Nothing, he still supposed to fight and u still supposed to protect him, Even if you have to turn your whole group grey. and if you have 1 kid in your group saying like "I have 4 MC I dont want turn red !" and leave your other friend dying because he grey... well you should change guild or ban someone.

But a thing I dont like about MO2... is that everyone look the same. In MO1 at least people was roaming around the group and get some visual memory of his group and names so when you go into the teamfight you are a bit more ready to not hit friendly and have a better understanding of the people in the field fighting without looking at every names.

So yeah maybe for now it look like the game need a Group System(Party). But in reality its just aint finish. Just think about the Cape from MO1 was also a good Visual Memory.

Good point. Even dying CAPES, banners, armor would help ALOT. I am not a MO vet. Will we get capes, etc dying with guild emblems???