Improving Magery for MO2

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California
For starters, please SV, @Henrik, do not simply port over the old system into the new game, there are a lot of ways the system should be improved so we have a really good base to start from when the game goes persistent. Iterations and changes should be considered and made now, and tested in the alpha, just like you’re doing with melee combat now, so it can be tweaked over time so that when we go live we have a system that is:

Fun, Useful, Effective, and Functional from the very beginning for new players

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to hate on everything we got concerning Magic in MO1, and I don’t want to crap all over all the work SV has done over the years to build these worlds, I’ve been here since the beginning, and MO2 is really the only game I want to play now and in the future. So I want it to be good, and I want it to be so good that the world is full with other players who enjoy playing the game as well, because the enjoyment we can get from this one world server game exponentially grows with a healthy population.

Magic should be fun. In MO2 we’re only getting 1 character to play with, with that character we spend our skill points into separate pools for combat oriented skills and crafting related skills. While this gives our 1 character more capabilities overall than a singular character in MO1, we will now be making a more singular choice in combat playstyles, whereas before we might have a melee fighter character, a mage, an MC and a MA, now we can only choose one of these, and outside of reskilling, and adjusting attribute points, we have no real option of switching things up. So that choice we make in playstyle is now more meaningful.

If I’m new to the game, I probably come in with some kind of idea of what kind of character I want to play, with no outside influence or knowledge I choose something that I think will be fun to play. My choice at the very beginning should be about how I want to enjoy the game, with no experience or knowledge my choice is simply based on preference, and that’s a good thing. If time is being spent on designing and implementing this core piece of the game in regards to what we will spend on combat skills, in this case magery, one of the first things the system should nail down is the fun factor.

Melee combat in both versions of MO can be enjoyable. There is depth to it, you get to run around and swing whatever kind of weapons fancies you, you can attack from 4 directions, block in 4 directions, parry and counter attacks etc, it’s dynamic, yet simple and complex at the same time. It’s a system SV has obviously thought about a lot and taken great care in developing so that it’s a well flushed out system from the get go, and it’s fun. Magery unfortunately has never really been that way, yet it’s a token “class” of nearly every RPG, and it’s a choice many players, new and old alike, would like to choose for their only character. Many tried it in the original, and then dropped it for something else because it wasn’t fun or functional, or dropped the game entirely because they couldn’t do basic fun things with a mage in the game.

Having choices and options is fun. With a melee fighter I can try out axes, swords, maces, spears, polearms, and daggers, they all play a bit differently and I can choose which one I like playing best. And trying them all out doesn’t take any kind of big investment to do so. But with Magery we get one school, ecumenical, and while it’s a swiss army knife of a school, you could throw away half the spells because they weren’t worth spending the mana to cast. So we got a couple heals, a curse, a purify, a spell reflect, and then a handful of nukes which have different damage values and spell effects, and varying cast times, but essentially all work the same way.

They have plans for a ton of schools, that’s awesome, but after 10 years of MO1 we only had 4, and only Ecumenical was available to a new player, where’s the choice? If MO2 released with only swords would that be considered good? Sure, we’re implementing many weapons..down the road, but here, use this sword for 2 years while you wait. 2 years later...You want to use an axe? Go on this wild goose chase across 2 continents or spend a ton of gold just to try it and see if you like it. Not fun.

I don’t think hitscan is as fun as projectiles, nor as skillful, and ecumenical is all hitscan. SV has said many times, each school has a different kind of casting, and ecumenical is hitscan. It makes sense that casting staff magic is different than elementalism or whatever, or the one where they plan to have you like idk scribe some rune shape to cast, ok, that’s cool, but please ditch the idea that “all hitscan” as a casting type for a whole school is on the same level as those other differences in school casting styles. It just isn’t. It’s not as fun.

We’re going to be stuck with only ecumenical for a long while, it’s the only option for a new player, it’ll be the only option for all players who want to build a mage at first, so make that one school we’re going to have diverse and dynamic like melee playstyles are. Mixing projectiles for longer range nukes, and using hitscan for like short range rays would be perfect and open up the playstyle and make it more fun. All those unused nukes are just begging to be redesigned and made into fun spells. Now is the time to try it out, please!

Magic should be Useful and Effective for the most basic gameplay loops. The most common thing most players do in the game when starting out and developing your character and your personal resources is to go out hunting, doing basic PvE stuff. If you’re not gathering ore or wood or PvPing, you’re most likely out hunting. But a basic mage can’t even do this most basic aspect of the game without working around it by going hybrid or using a pet. Why? This issue from the MO1 system will be greatly magnified because you won’t have some other character to log onto if you need to go do some PvE. And even if you’re stubborn about it, max out your skills, then kite around mobs forever until you can kill them with your spells, you’ve spent more in reagent costs than the value of the carcass or loot. So now you’ve wasted time and money just trying to do the most basic thing in the game. Not fun, not useful, and not effective!

In my opinion, they can make Magery more useful and effective mostly thru balancing spell damage, mana cost, mana regen. This aspect is mostly a simple numbers game. Then balance it so it’s not OP in PvP with either lower damage on players, or better yet give materials another value in the database which relates to a spell defense stat...bam..crafting gets even deeper. Break up spell defense into categories for different types of spell damage, elemental or otherwise. See a guy wearing an armor material that is weak to fire, light him up, weak to fire, choose something else...iterations such as these can greatly enhance the game on a large scale if done right in my opinion. Now you deepen crafting, you raise the skill ceiling on mages where they react to different scenarios, and you make Magery more fun, useful, and effective!

Mechanically, what I would like to see is being able to charge spells on the run. Besides what I mentioned before about efficiency issues, the fact that mages wear little armor and have no way of blocking damage from a mob, added to the general clunkiness of sprinting in combat mode to kite/create distance, charging your spell and casting, and doing that over and over again, it’s way more clunky and ineffective than using literally any other method of killing a mob. It doesn’t even need to be all spells, just give us some choice in the matter and let us be profitable members of society man.

Magic should be functional from the beginning for a new player. The original Magic system and related skills from MO1 heavily discourages new players from the very beginning, and seems to encourage you to just forget the whole thing and pickup a sword or literally any other weapon instead. You start out, maybe get some free skillups from a trainer, or read a couple skill books, pickup some reagents and go out and try to kill a pig with a fireball. To your surprise, this pig that takes like 3 hits to kill with a worn short sword, low strength and no skill, doesn’t wanna die. You look at the combat log and see you were only doing a few damage, and after only a few casts you’re out of mana, so you pull out your worn short sword and finish it off instead. Silly me, I should have known I needed to set up a spurt macro and spurt myself overnight just to be able to do any damage and cast more than 4 spells on my mana bar.

This makes no sense to a new player, and doesn’t even make sense for an old player, we just accept it and do it every time we build a new mage. That was a pretty garbage design, based on a very old game. I get it, respect your mentors, respect your elders...but MO is over 10 years old, it’s its own game and has a legacy of its own, and should design its systems accordingly. And furthermore, learn from the mistakes of the past and don’t repeat them! Don’t just copy paste that old stuff into this new game.

SV can do so much better with the experience and skills and knowledge they have now. If we want to keep the new players who are going to be drawn to this game, the game itself needs to stop discouraging them from playing it! Make magery comparatively easy and intuitive and fluid to pick up as every other combat skill in the game. We’re so accustomed to working around the bad systems that we forget just how jarring this game is for new players. But it doesn’t have to be this way, being willing to adapt and iterate on the system now in the alpha will pay huge dividends in the future.

Tl;DR - SV, @Henrik, please make Magery more fun, useful, effective, and functional for everyone dying to play your game.

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
ecumenical has always been a support role and not a main damage role. in an MMO where groups are always available and encouraged, it can be a very exciting role to play, especially in pvp. the problem is, as well you mention, its not really possible to do much solo thru ecumenical alone, so if your guild/friends are not available and you want to do something on your own, it becomes a real problem. this may actually be a less-than-subtle way to encourage players to be hybrids and not full on mage, but i dont know if this was actually intended by henrik.

i dont mind advanced schools and advanced skills being hard to find and/or require completing specific events. I would like to see far more schools available, if only the basic spells from these schools.

skilling up thru macroing has long been a problem and not really limited to magery. i'd love to see something done so skilling up doesnt encourage macroing (or perhaps requires doing things that cannot be macro'd) but im not really sure how to accomplish that.

in general, yes i agree magery needs some love. its like the 2nd level red headed stepchild after archery while melee remains the main focus.

-barcode

D

Dracu

ecumenical has always been a support role and not a main damage role. in an MMO where groups are always available and encouraged, it can be a very exciting role to play, especially in pvp. the problem is, as well you mention, its not really possible to do much solo thru ecumenical alone, so if your guild/friends are not available and you want to do something on your own, it becomes a real problem. this may actually be a less-than-subtle way to encourage players to be hybrids and not full on mage, but i dont know if this was actually intended by henrik.

i dont mind advanced schools and advanced skills being hard to find and/or require completing specific events. I would like to see far more schools available, if only the basic spells from these schools.

skilling up thru macroing has long been a problem and not really limited to magery. i'd love to see something done so skilling up doesnt encourage macroing (or perhaps requires doing things that cannot be macro'd) but im not really sure how to accomplish that.

in general, yes i agree magery needs some love. its like the 2nd level red headed stepchild after archery while melee remains the main focus.

-barcode
Well SV could make minigames for skilling up skills faster then macroing, adding gameplay value for ppl that want to do stuff instead of macroing.
A minigame like sword practise where one has to go to a trainer and has to fight him, skill gains while doing this activity are much higher then jsut macroing. Giving it a purpose.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
Well, that is very long text. I scanned it. Here are my thoughts:

Ecu within the boundaries that it is in is fine. It´s an apprentice magic school, the thing you learn before they let you do the real stuff. It is optimal to be combined with other skillsets and work well in those circumstances. I believe the spells should be reworked to reflect the hitscan. Currently there are spells like fireball and thunderlash that look and sound like a projectile, but are not. Replacing them with either a ray-spell or a target-seeking magic missile would increase immersion.

Hitscan is completely fine from a gameplay perspective. Especially for the first magic school that is supposedly the easiest to master. Since a lot of competetive arena games use hitscan there is really no argument against it.

Ecu should be useful in PvE other than healing. If not then please tell new players this VERY clearly. Tell them to pick something like beast mastery or melee up.

Leveling up needs to change dramatically. Maybe gains should be extremely fast till 60-80 and then the curve flattens. Obviously this would mean that the benefits have to flatten drastically as well. There absolutely can not be any thresholds in that areas that lock away combat relevant abilities.
This would lead to a macro free and very fluid system.

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California
Well, that is very long text. I scanned it. Here are my thoughts:

Ecu within the boundaries that it is in is fine. It´s an apprentice magic school, the thing you learn before they let you do the real stuff. It is optimal to be combined with other skillsets and work well in those circumstances. I believe the spells should be reworked to reflect the hitscan. Currently there are spells like fireball and thunderlash that look and sound like a projectile, but are not. Replacing them with either a ray-spell or a target-seeking magic missile would increase immersion.

Hitscan is completely fine from a gameplay perspective. Especially for the first magic school that is supposedly the easiest to master. Since a lot of competetive arena games use hitscan there is really no argument against it.

Ecu should be useful in PvE other than healing. If not then please tell new players this VERY clearly. Tell them to pick something like beast mastery or melee up.

Leveling up needs to change dramatically. Maybe gains should be extremely fast till 60-80 and then the curve flattens. Obviously this would mean that the benefits have to flatten drastically as well. There absolutely can not be any thresholds in that areas that lock away combat relevant abilities.
This would lead to a macro free and very fluid system.
It was way too long, I agree. But I do feel strongly that now is the time to update the system because if it doesn't happen now when will it?

I actually had deleted some parts up there about how the idea that ecumenical is a support school or an apprentice school is fine, and how well it works in that regard for pvp and group play specifically it actually shines, the problem of course is that it is the only school available at launch and the only school available to any starting player, and likely the only school entirely for at least a year if not longer.

If there is no real choice or diversity to be had for launch since it's just an impossibility to finish or even start work on other schools by then, that means to me that that school needs to be useful for hunting mobs and basic gameplay.

In my opinion this is low hanging fruit, easy for them to play with and implement now while having a huge impact on the feeling of the gameplay for new players and others who would like to just play a basic mage with their only character at launch. It's a no brainier to me.

What I fear the most tho is that I haven't heard a single peep regarding SV addressing the obvious issues with magic from MO1, that tells me they think it's fine and they're going to copy paste the old system, and I think that's going to be a bad decision.

So my point is be flexible with the design. Make it useful for what most people will be trying to accomplish for most of their time in game.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
I agree. All I wanted when I first started was play a mage and have a black tower in the mountains. Stop playing around the time magic schools arrived - for various reasons. So I can feel the pain.

A possible solution could be spells that are just useful for PvE . Since any sort of "magical weapon" spell or "animal/NPC nuke" would cause an imbalance I think mages could hunt special mobs. Create NPCs/Mobs that are susceptible to magic. Skeletons come to mind as an easy and ubiquitous enemy. Etherworld enemies (depends heavily on the planned content for that at launch though).

With some aspects SV indeed seems pretty satisfied. Maybe they don´t want full mages without the advanced magic schools to be good at PvE.
It´s one of those things that players might be okay with, if it was communicated. In- and outside the game.

Reactions: KermyWormy

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
What I fear the most tho is that I haven't heard a single peep regarding SV addressing the obvious issues with magic from MO1, that tells me they think it's fine and they're going to copy paste the old system, and I think that's going to be a bad decision.
i share this fear in that i expect the majority of systems to be simply copy/pasted over without any real consideration to the existing downsides and how they can be improved or in some cases like thievery, should simply be completely redone.

-barcode

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
I think the most important thing is are you going to want to main a mage with your one character? In MO it was generally common knowledge that rolling a mage fresh as a newbie isn't a good idea.

Reactions: KermyWormy

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
You are wasting your time. Ive tried to talk with the devs directly about this issue, but they are set in stone that copy pasting MO1 system where you just play a fireball guided missile animation a la WoW is not "lazy" but actually by design. Its Henriks "vision".

They wont rework ecumenical to fit a hit scan only spells school, which they could do if they really wanted to implement their design, but just a simple copy paste of the old system. Because first impressions dont matter at all and players will be delighted to hear they will eventually get a decent magic school in 2030

Don´t think new players care about hitscan. They will care if they spent hours farming books and then cannot kill a single mob. Hitscan is completely fine if you rename fireball into magic missile and remove thunderlash.

Last edited:

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California
I think the most important thing is are you going to want to main a mage with your one character? In MO it was generally common knowledge that rolling a mage fresh as a newbie isn't a good idea.
Exactly. How many people are going to try to roll a mage and be stopped in their tracks because it's broken for progressing your character and doing basic things? How many will be forced out of necessity to just do something else?

I think it's worth addressing, and I wish SV had the foresight to see these issues before making the same mistakes again.

Reactions: Teknique

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California
i share this fear in that i expect the majority of systems to be simply copy/pasted over without any real consideration to the existing downsides and how they can be improved or in some cases like thievery, should simply be completely redone.

-barcode
It's frustrating because it's such a paradox in that in these recent interviews we hear from Henrik quite clearly and openly admit a lot of the shortcomings of MO1, he was very candid about them which I absolutely appreciate, so he seems to understand the issues, but then when it comes down to talking about how they are going to change it for the better this time around we don't get any confirmation that the problems are being rectified in any way.

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
Don´t think new players care about hitscan. They will care if they spent hours farming books and then cannot kill a single mob. Hitscan is completely fine if you rename fireball into magic missile and remove thunderlash.
Yeah its fine if they actually take some effort and redesign ecumenical to fit with hitscan only spells. Which they wont do lol.

For new players Id suggested before, make a few more basic spells that use very cheap reagents (like spurt uses water) and make some mobs weak to those type of spells (fitting the lore). Then they could farm easily without affecting pvp balance

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California
So if they stick with the old system, how do you think they should communite that mages are useless for solo PvP and PvE?
I think if that is truly part of their design, then they should just say so. At least then the players could know ahead of time before they bang their head against the wall trying to do something as crazy as hunting mobs with basic magic!