Idea for woodcutting and gathering

Do you want SV to implement this suggestion?

• Yes, but with changes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don´t care, stop making polls dude.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
So I´ve been thinking a little about woodcutting.

Many players have stated that they would like to see the ability to cut down trees. Henrik said that SV is looking into it.
I´m not a big fan because it will either lead to massive deforestation (which looks shit) or trees that grow back way to fast (which defeats the purpose somewhat).

So here is my suggestion:

Have two types of trees, young and old. A young tree would be up to an arms thickness. Basically the little ones we already have.

A young tree can be felled (visible to other players) and an old trees can be harvested. The later simulates medieval people cutting off branches for fences/houses etc without actually cutting down the tree. So it´s not even unrealistic.

Young trees will replenish over time, ideally so that the player who cut them down won´t see the go up in the same play session. So 12-48 hours should be fine.

Cutting down young trees should yield more resources per hour than gathering from old trees. Ideally it will take a certain amount of time to take down the tree and then you get X wood once you are finished. Gathering from an old tree will be the familiar trickle of wood. Old tree should have a limit of resources you can gather in a certain amount of time.

This system would lead to people spreading out in the world to gather wood faster (young trees) or stay closer to cities but have more competition and a less efficient gather rate. The world would still look good, since forest won´t change massively. Yet you do get to clear out the "underbrush" by cutting down young trees. This way the forest around Fabernum will look quite open, while in middle of nowhere you bump into sapling all the time.

Reactions: Xunila and Ibarruri

Ibarruri

May 28, 2020
Meduli
The logging system at Myrland was quite outdated, so any suggestions to improve it in any way are welcome.

I don't know what starvautl plans on this, but it would be nice to be able to cut down trees. it would give much more excitement and would be more fun for the loggers.

It always seemed like the toughest profession in myrland.

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
makes me wonder if you would see the trees felled from a distance, so you could get up on a mountain and see where people are woodcutting

i guess mining could be the same way but may be harder to see the rocks depending on tree cover

-barcode

Reactions: Xunila and Ibarruri

Ibarruri

May 28, 2020
Meduli
makes me wonder if you would see the trees felled from a distance, so you could get up on a mountain and see where people are woodcutting

i guess mining could be the same way but may be harder to see the rocks depending on tree cover

-barcode

ey man. i remember you. In old days make some business with me. Good read you man. We will see in Mo2!

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
ey man. i remember you. In old days make some business with me. Good read you man. We will see in Mo2!
almost certain i've never traded with you. unless maybe you're a secret frenchie, but pretty sure thats not the case

-barcode

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
My biggest problem with the idea of cutting down "old" trees is, that it would quickly lead to no more forests. Lets not kid ourselves, people will cut down trees just for the hell of it and delete the wood. Not a fan of how Conan exiles, ARK and ATLAS do it with the near instant regrowth. Seems just as silly as a node.

Then again a node is not actually unrealistic. The trees would have to look different thought.

How would you solve the problem of players cutting down too many trees?

Because it´s somewhat relevant:

Last edited:

Smough

Jul 4, 2020
Ok heres my “no, other suggestion”.
Trees can be cut down except for some instances where they are giant, part of terrain, etc.
When trees are cut down in any given node they will regrow at a rate of 10% of their total amount each hour. So if you farm only 10% of your total nodes trees they will completely replenish within the hour. If you clearcut a forest down in an area it will take significantly longer to replenish the trees but as they begin to return they return exponentially faster.

Adjust these numbers and percentages until it feels balanced