How much strength do I need?

Keithington

Sep 21, 2022
I'm getting a mixed bag of information regarding strength requirements. As an example I use a spear with a 30 strength requirement.

1. What happens when I have less than 30 strength?
  2. What happens when I have more than 30 strength?
  3. Does anything change with #1 or #2 when I'm mounted?
  4. Does anything change with #1 or #2 when I'm holding a shield?
Thank you in advance!

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
I'm a spear user, but never really tried to pick one up when my strength is below the requirement as my character started out with fairly high strength.

My guess is that you will be able to equip it but not use it properly, like back in the first game if you tried to use a bow that was above your strength you'd drain your stamina completely trying to pull it.

When above the strength requirement you'd be able to use it and I think higher strength adds extra damage.

1 and 2 when mounted will probably result in your horse bucking you off or you not being able to use the spear.

1 and 2 when holding a shield will probably cause you to not being able to use the spear properly.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
I'm getting a mixed bag of information regarding strength requirements. As an example I use a spear with a 30 strength requirement.

1. What happens when I have less than 30 strength?
  2. What happens when I have more than 30 strength?
  3. Does anything change with #1 or #2 when I'm mounted?
  4. Does anything change with #1 or #2 when I'm holding a shield?
Thank you in advance!
1 Your charge and swing slower Also stam usage is increased over all
2 Nothing really
3 On mounted the STR req is doubled except for counched. If you are over the charge takes a little longer and stam use is heavily increased
4 No

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
A clarification on point 2.

More strength does give you more damage bonus, so you do hit harder.

But yes, if you dont meet the strength requirement for the weapon you will swing slower and use more stamina (as well as do less damage because of lower damage bonus). Once you meet strength requirement your stamina usage and swing speed are maximized, and all you are getting with additional strength is higher damage.

Last edited:

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Shifting points around and really thinking of speccing some WOOD handle weps like DA OLD SKOOL. That's a good way to lose some wep wt, but it kills dura. It could potentially be the diff between being able to hold something on a mount or not.

That whole 1/2 thing while mounted is untrue. I don't know what the actual thing is. It's close, sometimes with lower stuff, you can go less str, like w/ a flake axe and you have 70 str... but then you get to the higher ones, and I almost wonder if there is a hard cap. Either way, it gets fonky. I rolled a 125(+2 off trinks) just to see if I could hold OP WEPS, but I can't. Seems like, at least with axes, around 4 wt is about max-of-max. Handle prol matters, too, but I've tried even shortest handle axe that came out at like 55-57 str req and you couldn't hold it on a 120. I had since deleted my 125, so I had my friend test it.

I'd say there is prol a hard cap, but I dunno if I've ever seen a situation where it turned out actual 1/2. Just like I have on my YT, way way back... I had 108 str on my khur and I couldn't hold a jade double, p sure rough? Which was like 3.6~ wt and 50~ str req, but when I took the clade gift and it ticked me up to 110 str, I could.

I wouldn't worry about what you are gonna do on mounted w/ 30 str tho haha, otoh, I'd say due to how weird it got at low wts, you might be able to hold something very close to a 30 str req.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
a couple points of strength less than the requirement works just fine, it comes with a damage penalty however. if you have way less than the requirement you get both a stam drain penalty, swing much slower and get a hefty damage penalty.