[Hardware] I'm going to upgrade my PC

Newcoric

Sep 13, 2022
Hi people,

I'm going to upgrade some of my hardware because is getting old, but not at the same time. My question is which part I should upgrade before for getting a better performance in MO2.

Actually my specs are:

i56400
GTX1050ti
16 GB Ram

Any suggestions? Thanks

Snozzle

Apr 2, 2021
Without a doubt I would update your graphics card first. For 1080p minimum I suggest is 3060 or higher. For 1440p go with a 3070 or higher. With the 40 series just around the corner and graphics card back to normal MSRP you might find a bargain; and either option will be a huge upgrade from your 1050ti.

Kaquenqos

May 3, 2022
I second Snozzle's recommendation for the GPU upgrade. Honestly, depending on your budget you can aim a bit lower than a 3060 and still see a big improvement over what you have now. Obviously a 3060 or better would be ideal, and probably worth saving for, but at a 1050 you are kind of spoiled for choice in terms of noticeable upgrades.

I think the game is completely playable on a 3050 or 1660ti/super range. I use a 1660 ti when I play on my laptop, and with draw distance (only affects foliage & a few foliage type objects, so not a huge deal) down, foliage & shadow at low, and everything else at ultra, at 1080P I am usually hovering around 60-90fps. I think that's completely playable.

Then a CPU upgrade wouldn't hurt, then a ram upgrade...

Or, you could do this backwards if you want to start out spending little for easily upgradable things, and move on to the higher ticket items... However, you're going to notice the most performance increase from a GPU upgrade, far and away.

Something else to consider is an SSD, if you're using a spinny-drive. It's sometimes overlooked, and the problem has improved a lot since the repack, but the size of the assets & render distance in MO2 can be pretty straining for your read/write,i/o. Before the repack, I noticed a lot of bottlenecking on my read/write which was surprising to me, as I was using an nvme connected SSD*. The issue is much improved now, and my SSD no longer bottlenecks, but in theory it could still be an issue if you are running on an HDD. Just something to consider, if you are. If you're noticing big chug dips that are not related to server nodes, that could be your read/write bottlenecking... Weird, I know-- but it was happening to me & I have logs to prove it lol

*this was also on the aforementioned laptop, and thermal throttling may have been exacerbating the i/o bottlenecks; but it was definitely read/write that was the only thing bottlenecking during these chugs

Last edited:

FML

Sep 20, 2022
I was running with a 1050ti for a long time, came back to MO and was getting low FPS while not even playing at a good resolution - with the new cards coming out soon I was able to swipe a good deal on a 3060ti and on med/high graphics depending where I am in Nave (with hardware acceleration enabled also) I'm pulling anywhere between 60-70 FPS, on low settings which I generally play on (performance over graphics for me) I can pull depending where I am again, between 100/120 FPS. Upgrading the GPU was the best thing I did and would recommend it like the above have, will be upgrading CPU or PSU next