Get rid of the Dex new player Trap.

Auto put points into Dex to stop unaware people from being slow.

• Yes

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • No

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • results

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters

Tzone

May 16, 2021
So many youtubers will make a video about how slow you run in the game. New players not knowing how the game works will do something like not use their points at all or put it all into STR or Int.

Then they are a wheelchair for a while even with x100 str. It will be way worse with normal rates and give people a misconception about the game.

IT IS A COMPLETE NEWB TRAP.

My solution is just to put as many points into their dex as allowed. One major issue with new players is not that they dont read. Its just that they refuse to listen. You pretty much just need to put point into Dex for them and then explain to them that they can remove points to put elsewhere. But they would be far slower with out those points in dex.

Woody

Apr 4, 2021
When allocating Dex, it does mention it will improve their move speed. If anything, everyone should get base sprinting and footspeed at 100. There's no reason at the very least an 18 year old doesn't know how to walk/run/sprint. They can then remove points from there later when they figure out their build.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
When allocating Dex, it does mention it will improve their move speed. If anything, everyone should get base sprinting and footspeed at 100. There's no reason at the very least an 18 year old doesn't know how to walk/run/sprint. They can then remove points from there later when they figure out their build.
People dont know how slow 25 dex is compared to 80+

It literally called wheelchair for having around 25 dex. Just telling them that they will be slow doesnt mean they understand what slow is considered as in this game.

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
everyone should get base sprinting and footspeed at 100.
So let them start out 'fast' and then if they reduce their speed in any way later, they'll know what they're giving up?

Probably nothing about what your avatar doesn't know how to do / possess the skill to do when starting out is as annoying as to have to toddle.

Last edited:
Reactions: grendel

Kurbb

Sep 13, 2021
uh, youd be surprised, many of these dudes cant even understand basic math, or that there is ping issues that need resolved. If youre not reading the tutorial, or reading the stat changes as you make a character, thats no ones fault but their own

Sep 11, 2021
I agree. I think this sort of plays into what Henrik was talking about on his latest stream, about providing new players with pre-set builds on character creation which optimize for a certain play style. They could set dex points to a reasonable level in all of the pre-set builds, and that would work nicely.

Woody

Apr 4, 2021

It literally called wheelchair for having around 25 dex. Just telling them that they will be slow doesnt mean they understand what slow is considered as in this game.

Footspeed has a high enough impact over movement speed without the attribute consideration. Thus, just max everyone's footspeed at 100 on login.

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
If people can't understand they need to put in attribute points to be faster or stronger, this game is just too hardcore for them.
I guess. I don't know of any other semi-current MMO or game that has DEX effect movement speed in such a drastic way though. I can guarantee you majority of RPG and MMO players are going to instantly think DEX means bows, daggers, etc.

While I agree people should read more about their attributes, I also want as many people possible to play the game and not have a bad starting experience due to something so silly.

Reactions: night_vision_elf
D

Deleted member 44

While I agree with the premise of this post I disagree with what you consider wheel chair. Wheel chair in MO1 =/= MO2. In the first game you would crawl without dex. 25 dex isn't even slow in this game.

SV just needs to delete the movement skills. They add nothing to the game and only cause frustration and confusion.

Reactions: MolagAmur

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
Agree that people gimping their dex is a bad experience, but don't think forcing them to auto put points in dex is ideal either.

Perhaps either make it much more clear how dex will impact movement speed, or decide what a reasonable "floor" movement speed is for a new player and either don't let people start less than that (you can always pull from it later), or show a red warning when someone goes below that in character creation that their character will be significantly slower with this dex.

In general Char Creation still doesn't give nearly enough info on what the person's experience will be. The clades still freakng say "Sheevra, Sheevra, Sheevra" in the description, while at the same time Henrik repeatedly says clade choice is the most important and only non-mutable choice in the game.

Speznat

May 28, 2020
Tindrem
wolfszeit.online
Thats why Im saying in all my videos for the new players put it all in dex that you run faster because otherwise its a hassle.

But than someone commented. I dont do good damage your build is wrong.

The problem is many new players dont want to think even for one second. and thats a problem.
They dont even know that they can fastly increase the other attributes without a problem. I really tried to explain stuff. but evne I can't prevent people form skipping the videos even if they are so short and full of info. Its a little frustrating sometimes.

But the good news is. Some see that and actually use thier brain and relate to dex = speed. My dex is low, aaaa thats why im running so slow.
But most new players and evne large streamers I looked at they played the game like the dumbest people ever. I mean many of them palyed other MMO's and they are not used to use thier brain. So basicly you can't blame them either.

Maybe star vault should do something like in Haven speed is different?
I dont know what the solution is.

Or maybe if your dex is under 80 in the charackter creation than a waring before the start wer eit says
"your dex is very low, "
"you will run very slowly. You can skill more up now or you trian it ingame."

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Other games stats only make you faster then normal. In this game lack of stats make you slower then normal. Its not a common thing in games to punish players for having low stats in something. The trend in almost every game is to give bonuses ontop of normal speed.

Nothing is forced, People normally wont hover over the attributes or skill and just want to jump into the game as fast as possible. Then they will need to reroll anyway a couple of times.

"One of these things is not like the other"
If one stat has points auto put into it then they notice that it is important and actually realize that they should probably put points into it. Instead if you give them the information that low dex = snail they wouldnt even read it.

Reactions: Speznat

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
Molag, I believe dex relates to weakspot chance yes? So essentially it is crit chance with bows and daggers, and it's foodspeed, so it's not too far off (and may also be involved when things like backstab/poison come in). I do think people often get confused by the str requirement for bows tho.

Last edited by a moderator:

a.out

May 28, 2020
I guess. I don't know of any other semi-current MMO or game that has DEX effect movement speed in such a drastic way though. I can guarantee you majority of RPG and MMO players are going to instantly think DEX means bows, daggers, etc.

While I agree people should read more about their attributes, I also want as many people possible to play the game and not have a bad starting experience due to something so silly.
If people cannot even pay attention to the character creation screen, how would they even get anywhere in-game? Seems to me they wont need movement speed in game anyways as they wont last long standing there waiting for the game to play itself.

Komodor

Jul 11, 2020
I advocate for not making the same mistakes as in MO1. Let's make this game more appealing to a bigger audience so we can play with more people. At least in first-contact aspects. Veterans speedrun Haven in 1 minute and we shouldn't care about them at this stage.

I suggest to just add a special button during character creation that will distribute remaining points according to selected pattern: fighter, mage, crafter. And make that button big and shiny so new players do not miss it. On top of that if they choose one pattern they receive short and easy to understand explanation why points are distributed that way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tzone

Tzone

May 16, 2021
I advocate for not making the same mistakes as in MO1. Let's make this game more appealing to a bigger audience so we can play with more people. At least in first-contact aspects. Veterans speedrun Haven in 1 minute and we shouldn't care about them at this stage.

I suggest to just add a special button during character creation that will distribute remaining points according to selected pattern: fighter, mage, crafter. And make that button big and shiny so new players do not miss it. On top of that if they choose one pattern they receive short and easy to understand explanation why points are distributed that way.
Every new player rerolls at least a couple of times. Putzin said that every stress test player he recruited had to reroll because they made builds like skinny thursar mage. Maybe just give them a generic build template.

Reactions: Deleted member 44

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
If people cannot even pay attention to the character creation screen, how would they even get anywhere in-game? Seems to me they wont need movement speed in game anyways as they wont last long standing there waiting for the game to play itself.
Every new player rerolls at least a couple of times. Putzin said that every stress test player he recruited had to reroll because they made builds like skinny thursar mage. Maybe just give them a generic build template.
Its just overwhelming to a new player. You have to realize the average gamer gets their builds for MMOs through videos on YouTube.

And before you say it, yes I think there is room for the average gamer in MO2. If we have to hold their hand to get both their feet in the door im all for it.

a.out

May 28, 2020
Its just overwhelming to a new player. You have to realize the average gamer gets their builds for MMOs through videos on YouTube.

And before you say it, yes I think there is room for the average gamer in MO2. If we have to hold their hand to get both their feet in the door im all for it.
I'm not saying it MO should build some sort of elite community where everyone has a PhD in rocket science. However, I do expect people to be able to read and pay attention to whats going on on the screen at the very least.

Reactions: Najwalaylah