Gaming Experience presistens.

Are these good Ideas?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Farligbonde

Jan 7, 2021
Hi!
!!!!!First of all, this thread may cause you "Hardcore" players to go nuts, so treat this as a Warning!!!!
The purpose if this thread is to discuss some things that could potentially cause major issues during EA Launch for Mortal Online 2.
And would be nice to have the communitys thoughts on this aswell as having Henrik and the Team to at least think about these things before going to EA.

Server's during EA.
Obviously, we don't know how many will play MO2 at launch and for how long.
But SV has to prepare for 2 scenarios.

Scenario 1. No one plays the game and the pop is pretty low and it slowly dies out, what to do then?
Solution: That i don't know a solution for.

Scenario 2. A giant population. This one is more tricky though with the approach of the whole 1 mega server thing.
I've heard Henrik and the teams reasoning behind this and how they are going to solve it.
They don't want to stop selling the game obiously, but they want to assure players a good gaming experience, they say that the server can handle pretty much any playerbase and that space is the main problem.
But my main concern with this approach is, imagine if MO2 get's a pop of 100.000 players within a few days and they decide to add more space, how are they going to fill that space with actual content for the players?
No way they will fix enough mobs, dungeons, or pickables ,towns, unless they copy paste existing assets to that landspace which i doubt they do because it would look ridicolous. So the new space for the players would basically be a wasteland. Sure players can build on it but it would still be boring.

Solution: A simple fix for this would acutally be to open more servers that is identical to the first one. So you can spread the player base and give everyone that buys the game the same equal experience and the world dosent feel to crowded or wait 2 months for the worst desync to go away.
A issue people may have with this is that you split up the playerbase.
But so what, people pay to play the game and expect it to work. And if there is enough players all servers would be filled and everyone would enjoy their time in game.

Dungeons.

With the new approach SV is taking to give MO2 a better PVE experience(which is good imo)
they could run into problems here aswell during EA.
With overcrowded dungeons, people trying to experience these dungeons but will eventually only have 100 of players in the same dungeons and will turn into a gank fest and waiting times for the boss to respawn and players camping the bosses and stuff.
Which is sad becuase MO2 has such cool looking dungeons, that im sure a lot of players would want to experience in somewhat controlled manner.

And my suggetions is here, and this might hurt for the "Hardcore" players. And that is acutally to make them instanced.
Mostly to limit the overcrowding in dungeons that probably will happen.
And people will probably call me carebear for this. But i think the gaming experience would be a lot better with instanced dungeons and i don't see that the risk vs reward system being hurt that much at all with this. Since people would still have to transport their loot from dungeon to their bank and etc and travel through the world with it.

Are these good suggetions, or should i just go back to WoW cause im such a carebear and theme park rider?

Reactions: Olympeus

Suttner

Feb 17, 2021
I like dungeons beinf "overcrowded" potentially
making people want to fight for them

and a server split would outright kill this game :/

i dont think in general we will ever have the issue of 10k players actively at the same time for more than a week :D

Farligbonde

Jan 7, 2021
I like dungeons beinf "overcrowded" potentially
making people want to fight for them

and a server split would outright kill this game :/

i dont think in general we will ever have the issue of 10k players actively at the same time for more than a week :D

This suggetions is more hypothetically how SV should react in case of a ZERG of player coming to this game during EA etc.

Weathermore

Apr 5, 2021
" if MO2 get's a pop of 100.000 players within a few days"

95% of those players would leave within 2 months after realizing that the game was not what you described, and getting griefed multiple times. So I don't think there's much of a problem.

They will never instance dungeons. I do think that the servers could be split between NA/EU at the very least. I highly doubt that Starvault is competent enough to do a server-mesh type system. Also, server mesh simply does not work with full loot games where transportation is a big deal like this game, because it adds a level of RNG that is undesirable. For example, not only do you have to travel safely, you have to magically be on the low-pop server at the time of your travel.

I think that if server becomes a huge issue, the scenario they may decide on is something akin to Haven, where there are multiple selectable servers on the go. I don't think we need this, however. The biggest population spike is going to be at launch.

Olympeus

Apr 30, 2021
Interesting questions. I don't know what the best solutions would be for overcrowding, but I am interested to hear more about what Star Vault have planned and what others think. I do have some opinions on instanced dungeons.

Servers during EA:

Scenario 1:
No one plays the game and the pop is pretty low and it slowly dies out, what to do then?
  • Solution: I don't know the solution here either, but my hope is that if Star Vault are able to deliver a good product and run a moderately effective marketing campaign, then I think word-of-mouth will take care of the rest. MO2 may only appeal to a niche audience but the market should be large enough even a small (niche) amount of players will still be many thousands and enough to support 5 continents with regional servers. There are no games on market or in development that are offering what MO2 is proposing so hopefully it can attract players.
Scenario 2: A giant population
  • Solution: I don't know the solution and I'm not smart enough to offer any ideas but I want to know what others think.
    • Would like to know more about Star Vault's plan to "add space" and what that means - is this the 2nd continent?
    • Or if they add servers as Farligbonde suggests, how would they reconsolidate the population when needed?
  • I think a giant population would be a great problem to have especially if it gets us moving towards multiple continents with regionals servers ASAP.
Instanced Dungeons?

No. Never.
Overcrowded dungeons is not a problem. It is an ideal situation. MO2 is a PvX game so the PvE content should lead to PvP content. If a dungeon is overcrowded, it's going to create the best content for this game. We should be fighting over resources.
The open world non-instanced aspect of this game is going to be such a huge selling point. Of course, this is just my opinion for what I think is the best direction for the game based on my experiences.

Thanks for the post @Farligbonde .

Last edited:

Olympeus

Apr 30, 2021
a server-mesh type system. Also, server mesh simply does not work with full loot games where transportation is a big deal like this game, because it adds a level of RNG that is undesirable. For example, not only do you have to travel safely, you have to magically be on the low-pop server at the time of your travel.

What is a server-mesh system?

Farligbonde

Jan 7, 2021
Interesting questions. I don't know what the best solutions would be for overcrowding, but I would be interested to hear more about what Star Vault have planned and in what others think. I do have some opinions on instanced dungeons.

Servers during EA:

Scenario 1:
No one plays the game and the pop is pretty low and it slowly dies out, what to do then?
  • Solution: I don't know the solution here either, but my hope is that if Star Vault are able to deliver a good product and add a moderately effective marketing campaign then I think word-of-mouth will take care of the rest. MO2 may only appeal to a niche audience but the market should be large enough that capturing even a relatively small (niche) amount of players will still be many thousands and more than enough to support 5 continents with regional servers. There are no games on market or in development that are offering what MO2 is proposing.
Scenario 2: A giant population
  • Solution:I don't know the solution and I'm not smart enough to offer any ideas but I would like to know what others think.
    • I am curious to know more about Star Vault's plan to "add space" and what that means - is this the 2nd continent?
    • Or if they add servers as Farligbonde suggests, I wonder how they would reconsolidate the population as new continents are added (assuming the population needs to be consolidated).
  • I think a giant population would be a great problem to have especially if it gets us moving towards multiple continents with regionals servers ASAP.
Instanced Dungeons?

No. Never.
Overcrowded dungeons is not a problem. It is an ideal situation. MO2 is a PvX game and the PvE content can and should lead to PvP content. If a dungeon is overcrowded it's going to create the best content for this game. We should be fighting over resources.
The open world non-instanced aspect of this game is going to be such a huge selling point. Of course, this is just my opinion for what I think is the best direction for the game based on my experiences.

Thanks for the post @Farligbonde .

Yes you're right about the open world non-instanced aspect of the game.
But im just feeling that it could fit in this game aswell to get that proper PVE experience for those who seek it, because with the AI that star vault is getting are looking better and better and could be a good selling point aswell as RP elements.
I also see it as a nice thing to do after smashing some heads, just hanging out with some guys making your way through a cool dungeon for a bit off relaxing.
Thanks for good input!

Last edited:
Reactions: Olympeus

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
I think not, unless they have a high enough pop long term to add a NA server. Please don't go back to WoW, though.

Farligbonde

Jan 7, 2021
I think not, unless they have a high enough pop long term to add a NA server. Please don't go back to WoW, though.

I mean im not planning on going back to WoW, left it a couple of years ago.
But i thinks it's funny that the "hardcore" players in this community telling people to go back to WoW when people come with certain suggetions that isn't the "hardcore" gameplay.

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
Yeah I think the running issue with your suggestions is that Henrik has been very solid since the start on the "one continuous world" idea. The world is freaking huge, I don't think they'll have issues with overpopulation.

If anything the inverse is true. If there's a dip in population after say an initial burst at the start, in a big open game it can be a self fulfilling prophecy. If the population is spread across 10 cities in the world, you log in and see nobody, you are much more likely to just log out, perpetuating the cycle.

I personally think they should modify Haven to "suggest" starting cities both on population and ease of starting experience (ie Tindrem is a much easier start than Toxai) to channel players to cities to keep the population healthy.

Reactions: Rorry