Do you think Armor should give a movement speed penalty?

Do you think Armor should give a movement speed penalty?

• No.

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • Yes. All Armors should.

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • Yes, both Medium and Heavy Armors.

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Yes, but only Heavy Armors.

Votes: 8 20.5%

• Total voters

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
They need a way to promote wearing lighter armors, but speed isnt it. Speed just makes it so if ur on foot and they are on foot, they can run for free.

The issue with most heavy armor nerfs is they make the lower tier heavy armors complete crap. And ones that scale, like based on weight, nerf the good armors, which weigh more. Which are supposed to be good. So it bugs me when the higher end gear is somehow worse.

They need to make it so you make light medium and heavy armors out of the same materials. Then they can make benefits to each. Right now not heavy armor is shit protections. And mages wear super light. The middle serves no real purpose. You should be able to make steel light armor or somethign that has a benefit for specific fighter styles but less tanky.

Reactions: Calcal

TheOxMan

Apr 11, 2022
All armors should but the corresponding skills should should help mitigate the then proportionally.

Swing speed and blocking should slow down as well to some extent.

Different skills for different aspects of the armor as well.

Skills:

(Armor type) maneuverability
(Armor type) dexterity
(Armor type) momentum

Should be primary skills and veteran points should be needed to gain the full benefits or a focus cost.

More skills and more diversity is good imo

iiell

Jan 27, 2022
The armor weight should effect your speed.

Just like it does for mounts. The heavier your armor the slower you move.

I agree. The only incentive to not wear heavy armor is to save some primary points in armor training. The benefit of wearing heavy armor is more than worth that small investment.

Reactions: MolagAmur

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
They need a way to promote wearing lighter armors, but speed isnt it. Speed just makes it so if ur on foot and they are on foot, they can run for free.

The issue with most heavy armor nerfs is they make the lower tier heavy armors complete crap. And ones that scale, like based on weight, nerf the good armors, which weigh more. Which are supposed to be good. So it bugs me when the higher end gear is somehow worse.

They need to make it so you make light medium and heavy armors out of the same materials. Then they can make benefits to each. Right now not heavy armor is shit protections. And mages wear super light. The middle serves no real purpose. You should be able to make steel light armor or somethign that has a benefit for specific fighter styles but less tanky.

I personally think psyche should be entirely overhauled as an attribute to be the main stat for healers and lose all it's magic protection stuff. Then create a magic protection rating for armors and stack it more toward high-value light armor materials.

In particular, fish scales should have the highest, wool (especially harder to gather forms of it) should give the should get the next best, and stone should be given a decent bit to make it kind of the balanced between physical and magical protection armor type.

In other words, fish scale would be the premium material for anti-magic armor. Wool would be the favored anti-magic padding (Which is great because it's currently not favored for anything) and stone would be the meta for a heavy armor wearer who wants to balance their protection against all forms of damage. Which is pretty cool as flakestone and jadeite are two of the coolest-looking armor sets in the game but both make an armor which costs way too much for the meagre protections they give.

Reactions: Jatix

TheOxMan

Apr 11, 2022
I personally think psyche should be entirely overhauled as an attribute to be the main stat for healers and lose all it's magic protection stuff. Then create a magic protection rating for armors and stack it more toward high-value light armor materials.

In particular, fish scales should have the highest, wool (especially harder to gather forms of it) should give the should get the next best, and stone should be given a decent bit to make it kind of the balanced between physical and magical protection armor type.

In other words, fish scale would be the premium material for anti-magic armor. Wool would be the favored anti-magic padding (Which is great because it's currently not favored for anything) and stone would be the meta for a heavy armor wearer who wants to balance their protection against all forms of damage. Which is pretty cool as flakestone and jadeite are two of the coolest-looking armor sets in the game but both make an armor which costs way too much for the meagre protections they give.
I think the concept that different materials have properties that relate to magic resistances would be better if they were morespecialized to different magics.

Personally think if they made it all or nothing you would have more of a defined meta that would over take the enjoyment of making decisions. would be interesting if fish scales could be used in different ways though and one would be a magical resist to a certain kind of magic.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
I think the concept that different materials have properties that relate to magic resistances would be better if they were morespecialized to different magics.

Personally think if they made it all or nothing you would have more of a defined meta that would over take the enjoyment of making decisions. would be interesting if fish scales could be used in different ways though and one would be a magical resist to a certain kind of magic.

Hmmm. I've been saying straight magic resist because that's what MO2 has been working off so far. Different types of magic resist would be cool and I would totally support it if done well. I just think they might need to rekey a lot of spells if the idea of different magic resist types were introduced.

Reactions: TheOxMan

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
One armor mat could haev a bit more prot for 1 magic type vs another, but good magic armor should still be good magic armor. It would be stupid whe nyour armor is liek 50% ecu resist but 0 necro and sucks v everything else. It wouldnt be good often enough to be worth it. Vs 50% eco 40% necro, would still be good. I feel like thats just getting overly complex tho. Just the base of having magic resistance along with the normal stats would be a big change and give a lot of hope to the worse materials.

MolagAmur

Jul 15, 2020
I've been asking Henrik for a reason for non-magic melee users to use lighter armors for a very long time. He doesn't see an issue with how things are currently. Nothing has changed with armor weights since they added the Heavy Armor training skill in MO1 years and years ago aside from minor tweaks to stamina regen (that never mattered).

He says their data shows players using all kinds of armors and not just heavy armors. He doesn't realize that the data (that probably doesn't even exist) is taking into account mages and hybrids as well. He acts as if there is any reason to wear anything other than steel or better if/when you can afford it. Its only a matter of time until they add another Direptor-type heavy armor and full steel is the meta.

I 100% think full steel should be a very viable option. But for a game that boasts about its crafting system, we need way more options and reasons to wear different weights of armors.

but yeah, good luck.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
He says their data shows players using all kinds of armors and not just heavy armors. He doesn't realize that the data (that probably doesn't even exist) is taking into account mages and hybrids as well.

Yeah absolutely. I think it's 15k armor weight that stam regen starts to fall off. That means there is ABSOLUTELY no reason to wear anything lighter if you don't care about mana regen. To put that in perspective, if you make a set of heavy armor out of keeled scales it puts you around 15kg.

People may be wearing all kinds of armor. But if they aren't mage/hybrid and they have less than 15kg on they're either broke, a newb, or an idiot. And even 15kg is light if you're not going for an insanely speed focused build.

Would be cool to see some builds that actually leverage lighter armor to do something other than magic.

Rhias

May 28, 2020
...And even 15kg is light if you're not going for an insanely speed focused build....
For a speed focused build (e.g. dagger fighter) I would especially go for more armor, because of the less total life...

Pragma

Mar 17, 2022
Magic resist would require the game to have a difference in dmg type (Magic/melee) and i don't think it's even a thing here

Doom and Gloom

Mar 12, 2022
I think as the game aims to be realistic there should definitely be a speed difference, you shouldn't be able to run the same speed with 30kg metal on than naked. This could be compensated by increasing the naked movement values rather than decreasing the armored ones though. SImilar to how horse speed is affected by armor, although I think it is only armor type not weight currently idk?

But also other avenues of what armor does to your stats should be explored.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
No, Heavy armor is already punished by the stamina regen penalty to much.

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022

What stamina regen penalty? If you are rocking 26kg (55lb) of armor you are at what 50-65% regen, or about a half second slower than when in light armor.

Reactions: iiell

iiell

Jan 27, 2022

How is that punished too much? I am sitting at 84% stamina regen when wearing 28kg armor... That is a minor inconvenience. The benefits of Heavy Armor is too good with almost no downside. Like 100 primary points and -10 to -15% stamina regen for 65+ slashing and piercing defense?

Reactions: Hodo

Midas

Feb 25, 2022
One armor mat could haev a bit more prot for 1 magic type vs another, but good magic armor should still be good magic armor. It would be stupid whe nyour armor is liek 50% ecu resist but 0 necro and sucks v everything else. It wouldnt be good often enough to be worth it. Vs 50% eco 40% necro, would still be good. I feel like thats just getting overly complex tho. Just the base of having magic resistance along with the normal stats would be a big change and give a lot of hope to the worse materials.

a system similar to what your speaking of was implemented in UO , splitiing physical , cold, poisen fire ,etc to achieve armors like this you would use a runic smithing hammer wich was obtainable by recieveing and completing a rare or extremely difficult bod from a blacksmith (BULK ORDER DEED) wich was essentialy a money sink. quite often the rare bods required high end materials to complete with a verry low chance of a RNG drop rate of the item you wanted like a special dye for clothes / runic hammers as well as crafting stations to be added to houses.

Reactions: Jatix