Deer Ai leaves a lot to be desired.

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
The most recent patch mentioned some changes to Ai so I had hoped that the springbok would be included with some of these changes.

Checking with the springboks in Haven, I found that they still are just aimlessly running around randomly.

But, I went ahead and made a video about it anyway.

In the end I hope this behavior is just a place holder. I am in no way expecting anything revolutionary and understand that this is not a hunting simulator. But what they have now is far from giving any type of real world feeling.

Reactions: Deleted member 44

Farligbonde

Jan 7, 2021
Want to explain what kind of behavior you are looking for?
Like how should the behave if they not run around randomly?
What i want to see to these kind of mobs is the ability to shoot them in the legs so they slown down a bit.
Very tedious to hunt them.

Reactions: Kokolo

Tzone

May 16, 2021
I think they were good in the past then people complained that they couldnt kill then so they nerfed them to run around random instead of away.

Reactions: Draug

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
Want to explain what kind of behavior you are looking for?
Like how should the behave if they not run around randomly?
What i want to see to these kind of mobs is the ability to shoot them in the legs so they slown down a bit.
Very tedious to hunt them.

I kind of touched on it a little in the video.

But I believe that a natural approach would lead to a better end result.

They are herd type animals that graze. So, their initial state should be milling around grazing.

As someone gets closer it should perk their interest and they should go into a mode where they are trying to deciding if they think it is a threat or not. Possibly looking towards the alpha to see what they should do next.

If someone does spook them (by getting to close, moving to fast, shooting an arrow close ect) and they decide to run then they should all mostly go the same way (in a direction away from what spooked them). Following a leader/alpha or what ever. If nothing seemed to come from the possible threat then they should stop again shortly after and cautiously go back to grazing.

A deer that actually took an arrow though should act different. It could just run off on its own and have a whole separate set of rules. If it happens to be the alpha then all the other deer could still follow its actions. If not it could break off from following the alpha and do its own thing alone out of fear.

That shot deer should get a temp boost from adrenalin sending it fleeing quickly in one direction. But after that initial boost it should slow down greatly. If someone does get a good first shot on a deer then it should not be too overly complicated to finish the kill if they are able to keep track of them. Possibly there could be a bleeding type of effect based on how much damage the arrow did. With the deer slowing down more based on how much hp is lost. They could possibly even lay down in mercy mode if too much life is lost over time.

After the kill, the hunter could butcher the deer and go back to finding a heard again.

Last edited:

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
Thinking a little more on different situations to come up.

For example when a deer respawns it could once again get normal behavior and head to the alpha target. Leading to a single deer running through the woods with a purpose to actually get somewhere. This should lead to a natural look/feel.

Same could happen to a shot deer that manages to evade the hunter for long enough to stop bleeding.

Of coarse, they still have to react to other things that are happening as they travel back. None of that walking back and ignoring everything around them like some of the Ai does when returning to spawn areas.

If the alpha was to get killed then on its respawn the whole heard could head back towards him. This would lead to the heard running as a group through the woods. Again with a point that they are actually working to get to so it should appear natural.

Basically interactions with the deer would lead to natural looking behavior. You would be able to find undisturbed deer grazing together, single deer running through the woods and even a heard of deer running together at times.

Last edited:
Reactions: Valoran

PatWins

May 28, 2020
Wish we could 1 shot boks in the head, slow them in the legs or they get away if we miss the proper hit box. Kind of have to hunt them mounted at the moment.

Reactions: Kokolo

Nisse

Jun 17, 2021
The leashing behaviour is a problem generally. Once something begins leashing you can follow it and hit it in the back for free. It should stop and defend itself sometimes, depending on what type of mob it is.

Reactions: Amadman

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
Wish we could 1 shot boks in the head, slow them in the legs or they get away if we miss the proper hit box. Kind of have to hunt them mounted at the moment.

A heart or lung shot should should lead to the deer not getting to far to fast.
The leashing behaviour is a problem generally. Once something begins leashing you can follow it and hit it in the back for free. It should stop and defend itself sometimes, depending on what type of mob it is.

Agreed! There should still be ai choices/decisions being made here other than just return to location.

Draug

May 22, 2021
Sverige
www.vikingsonshrooms.com
I think they were good in the past then people complained that they couldnt kill then so they nerfed them to run around random instead of away.
I really hope this is not the case.

I agree that the deer AIneeds a rework; it's enough if them simply try to put distance between themselves and whatever is hunting them, trying to return to start if possible.

Also, the should slow down when wounded, or have their stamina severely limited when shot so people can catch up.

ATC Forgiven

Jul 27, 2021
All of this imo is great feedback. Hunting this open world (while not being hunted myself) is a huge draw for me. The crafting and resources are cool but without the adventure of the hunt its just a tedious collection game

Reactions: Amadman