Combat Balancing

Jakkob

Oct 14, 2020
My main concern coming from MO1 is the actual balance of weapons, there were so many options yet so much was not viable. I feel like every weapon should have its perks and downfalls. Daggers for example should do more damage as there's less range, weakspot builds worked but you shouldn't have a main mechanic of a weapon based off of a dice roll. I just don't want to feel like I have to use any weapon just because the general consensus is that it is better or worse.

And before I get flamed with "well did you try this recipe for this weapon," you shouldn't have to craft an item a super specific way for it to be effective. It's about finding the right balance between attack speed, damage, stamina drain, and versatility. A one handed sword shouldn't cost more stamina to swing than a 2H greataxe and so on.

Reactions: Crassus

Teknique

Jun 15, 2020
My main concern coming from MO1 is the actual balance of weapons, there were so many options yet so much was not viable. I feel like every weapon should have its perks and downfalls. Daggers for example should do more damage as there's less range, weakspot builds worked but you shouldn't have a main mechanic of a weapon based off of a dice roll. I just don't want to feel like I have to use any weapon just because the general consensus is that it is better or worse.

And before I get flamed with "well did you try this recipe for this weapon," you shouldn't have to craft an item a super specific way for it to be effective. It's about finding the right balance between attack speed, damage, stamina drain, and versatility. A one handed sword shouldn't cost more stamina to swing than a 2H greataxe and so on.
pretty much everything sucks right now except swords so its being tweaked heavily

Jakkob

Oct 14, 2020
pretty much everything sucks right now except swords so its being tweaked heavily
That's good yeah SV looks like they have been on top of everything, there were some counterbalances in place in MO1 but not enough. As a game dev myself here's the main mechanics I would focus on:

• Axes should deal heavy damage both high blunt and medium slashing, medium-high stam drain depending on the handle/head, medium swing time

• Maces/sledge high blunt damage, add damage multiplier against heavy armor. Mace balancing was generally good in MO1 though

• Daggers very high piercing/slashing depending on blade, very low stam drain, very fast swing time, less effective to heavy armor, add multiplier when hitting enemy from behind

• Swords can stay the same as long as the other weapons are viable, it should be the most versatile weapon and excel in close quarters, should remain a counterbalance to poleswords (if not kited)

• Spears very high piercing, very low-low stam drain, fast swing time, good against heavy armor and deals extra to light armor, easy to parry but should be a counterbalance to heavier weapons that take longer to swing

• Spells should be per hand allowing mechanically sound hybrids, Consider allowing caster to be able to move while casting with some spells (perhaps minor spells), this is similar to how it used to be early in MO1, it just needed fine tweaking not a complete overhaul.

• Consider movement speed penalties for heavier armor, not by much but lighter or no armor should be slightly faster than someone sprinting around in a coat of steel. This might make personal builds more unique

• Archery was well off in MO1, consider adding crossbows

• Lances should have better durability and be more user friendly

• Mounted combat should be built around tactics, going down a hill at full speed should add a major damage multiplier, going up hill should be lower than or base damage. MCs shouldn't have to be complete wheelchairs to be meta. Knockdowns should be slightly less frequent and only occur when the player is hit, not the mount