Can we please just have the combat system from MO1, updated and running smoothly on this new engine?

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
Why do we need to switch to chivalry combat? I didn't enjoy it in chivalry enough to play it there.

PatWins

May 28, 2020
Combat is much better. With more optimization and polish it'll be fantastic. To say we've moved into Chivalry combat is ludicrous. Other than the fact you can spin your camera and the game is first person melee, it doesn't feel like Chivalry at all.

Most people in here are just looking for a prettier, more optimized MO1. The combat currently retains the essence of MO and feels way more responsive. Big changes are an additional attack direction and slower counter attacks after a parry. That's pretty much it.

Slammington Unchained

May 28, 2020
Combat is much better. With more optimization and polish it'll be fantastic. To say we've moved into Chivalry combat is ludicrous. Other than the fact you can spin your camera and the game is first person melee, it doesn't feel like Chivalry at all.

Most people in here are just looking for a prettier, more optimized MO1. The combat currently retains the essence of MO and feels way more responsive. Big changes are an additional attack direction and slower counter attacks after a parry. That's pretty much it.
I think most people are here looking for an MO with less TC Guards

Reactions: Rorry

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas

You can turn your back to someone and hit them with the overhead swing, like chivalry. Swings are slooowww like chivalry, a person with good ping can parry even while they have a swing charged and it takes so long to charge a swing that that person has lots of time to parry. The swing of a two handed sword has the elbow as the leading edge so in order to hit someone with the blade they need to be far off screen, much farther than MO1's "sweet spot," in MO1 you can still get a hit even if you miss the sweet spot, MO2 it is just a handle hit.
Also, having your charging swing be cancelled if you back into something is unnecessary and frustrating. Not being able to swing through something is fine, though.
I don't think it retains enough essence of MO, further it does not seem more responsive to me. Do you control attack and block direction with your mouse? I find that it takes much more of a mouse movement to choose a direction, plus you must push and hold the button to thrust your weapon or center block much longer than MO, which only requires a brief tap of the button.

• Sad
Reactions: Teknique

Solairerection

May 28, 2020
Swings are slooowww like chivalry, a person with good ping can parry even while they have a swing charged and it takes so long to charge a swing that that person has lots of time to parry.

It is due to the new synchronization system they are using to sync people with differing pings that are slowing down the swings. As you mentioned with high pingers they are also only ones able to swing at "natural" speed, because they are already more synced to the server than someone with 100+ ping is.

Also, having your charging swing be cancelled if you back into something is unnecessary and frustrating. Not being able to swing through something is fine, though.

It's cancelled because the weapon is clipping through the wall when you release your swing, so it hooks unto the mesh. It will take some getting used to but I think it's a welcome change, and it will be very interesting to see how poleswords/polearms will perform when they get released. Those weapons seem to be the reason this got added, to balance their reach so they are not as widely used, or used with precaution in cramped spaces. Although I'll agree it is annoying when you get cancelled swings from a player being too close in front of you.

I don't think it retains enough essence of MO

What do you mean with "essence of MO"? You mean old system with fast-paced combat and perfect-blocking with weapon mesh? Or you mean new system with parry window that covers your entire body and slowed-down runspeed? Old system was vastly superior in terms of skill and something that should be built upon in MO2. And it does seem to be the case, faster running speed than compared to current MO1 aswell as Henrik saying they are looking into changing how blocking works (hopefully similar to what we had in early MO1, but we will see when we get there)

Do you control attack and block direction with your mouse? I find that it takes much more of a mouse movement to choose a direction, plus you must push and hold the button to thrust your weapon or center block much longer than MO, which only requires a brief tap of the button.

You mean the new push-drag experimental system? It is very un-optimised. You must drag your mouse quite a bit to get it to react. I measured it on my screen and I had to drag my mouse 2,5cm to charge a swing/parry (roughly an inch in imperial units)

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
It is due to the new synchronization system they are using to sync people with differing pings that are slowing down the swings. As you mentioned with high pingers they are also only ones able to swing at "natural" speed, because they are already more synced to the server than someone with 100+ ping is.

Whatever the reason is, I don't like it.

It's cancelled because the weapon is clipping through the wall when you release your swing, so it hooks unto the mesh. It will take some getting used to but I think it's a welcome change, and it will be very interesting to see how poleswords/polearms will perform when they get released. Those weapons seem to be the reason this got added, to balance their reach so they are not as widely used, or used with precaution in cramped spaces. Although I'll agree it is annoying when you get cancelled swings from a player being too close in front of you.

No,no, I am not talking about once I release my swing, I am fine with that, what I can't stand is when it cancels your swing from charging.

What do you mean with "essence of MO"? You mean old system with fast-paced combat and perfect-blocking with weapon mesh? Or you mean new system with parry window that covers your entire body and slowed-down runspeed? Old system was vastly superior in terms of skill and something that should be built upon in MO2. And it does seem to be the case, faster running speed than compared to current MO1 aswell as Henrik saying they are looking into changing how blocking works (hopefully similar to what we had in early MO1, but we will see when we get there)

I didn't discover MO at the very beginning, I started in 2013. Everything we have had since then has been better than what MO2 has. (Not including various OP weapons,) but as far as the bones of the system, the swing and parry and and block, etc. Even when sprint breaks were so prevalent.

You mean the new push-drag experimental system? It is very un-optimised. You must drag your mouse quite a bit to get it to react. I measured it on my screen and I had to drag my mouse 2,5cm to charge a swing/parry (roughly an inch in imperial units)

I tried it, but didn't see it as an improvement. Just the plain mouse blocking and swinging is also very un- optimised. The little directional arrow is pointless, a good part of the time it is pointing in the correct direction but the char still swings the other direction, as if there is a whole bunch of lag, or something.

Rudakov

May 31, 2020
OMG , i hope veterans of MO 1 that paying alpha right now will do their best to fix combat system . And devs will hear them . I think the MO 1 combat was great , and MO2 will not bring lot changes in it .

Slammington Unchained

May 28, 2020
OMG , i hope veterans of MO 1 that paying alpha right now will do their best to fix combat system . And devs will hear them . I think the MO 1 combat was great , and MO2 will not bring lot changes in it .
Don't worry Henrik always listens to the people and can easily discern good advice from bad advice.

Reactions: Rudakov