Ancient Footage of a Secluded Sentient Species: Bufonids

Nefnate

Jun 23, 2021
My Mind
My curiosity was peaked when I heard mention of Bufonids, and had a brief exchange with @Najwalaylah and @Valoran about their existence. I decided to reinstall the old game, Mortal Online 1, and go take a look for myself. I was encouraged to document.

The first thing I was struck with when I logged in was how dated the game was, and how much we used to put up with. Nostalgia aside, holy hell the game is a mess. I love(d) it, but damn. MO2, for all the pros and cons so far, is undeniably a better feeling, more intuitive, fluid game.

I managed to make my way from Tindrem to Meduli, and changed out the horse I had for a beast of a desert variety I had in the stables there. I was equipped for combat, toting a bag full of reagents, a sword, some coins, food, and other misc. travel supplies. About a minute of riding later, I crashed while running near some Undead hanging out by an old ruin. My screen disappeared and was replaced by a log of 20+ critical errors, and it took some wrestling to get processes turned off and relaunch the game. By the time I launched it, it didn't matter, as I was stuck in the loop of 'youre already logged in'. "Great," I thought. As expected, me and the horse were dead. Painfully slapped to death by zombies that could barely walk, keeping me locked out of the game the entire time.

So, I continued in the Ether. After some referencing, I found a camp. I then had to revive and get back. Easier said than done. I found the town of Aur, but was instantly murdered at the Priest of the Static, NPC run town, by player controlled NPC guards. The entire town was surrounded by TC (territory control) and littered with angry mage guards. It took a lot of trial and error, but I eventually managed to persevere and make it out into the wilderness. Long story short: I made it back to the camp I had found (only after narrowly escaping Death By Heatstroke, and a territorial bug the size of an caravan).

I could turn the journey into more of a entertaining story, but I don't feel like it (and it would likely have to involve the multitude of other crashes I experienced, horrible collision and map mesh issues that set me backwards for literally no reason, or how miserable the LOD is - among other things).

Lo and Behold, I found a camp, and descended upon it in nothing but rags, starving, exhausted and likely blistered head to toe from sun and heat exposure:

Here are some photos I tried to make a little clearer from the Video.
Screenshot_238.pngScreenshot_240.png
Screenshot_241.png
Screenshot_242.png
Screenshot_243.pngScreenshot_244.png

Some notes:
  • They like spears.
  • The 'minions' and 'leader' appear to have neat 'hats'.
  • There are Giant Green Kurnas directly next to their camp, this implies they tolerate each other at the least, or have a symbiotic relationship perhaps at best.
  • The 'Leader' must be chosen for it's expressed growth genes, and seems to exist outside the rules of time and space.*
    • *This is a joke because it's attack lagged.
    • For reference, my character is 170cm.

Last edited:

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
My curiosity was peaked when I heard mention of Bufonids, and had a brief exchange with @Najwalaylah and @Valoran about their existence. I decided to reinstall the old game, Mortal Online 1, and go take a look for myself. I was encouraged to document.

The first thing I was struck with when I logged in was how dated the game was, and how much we used to put up with. Nostalgia aside, holy hell the game is a mess. I love(d) it, but damn. MO2, for all the pros and cons so far, is undeniably a better feeling, more intuitive, fluid game.

I managed to make my way from Tindrem to Meduli, and changed out the horse I had for a beast of a desert variety I had in the stables there. I was equipped for combat, toting a bag full of reagents, a sword, some coins, food, and other misc. travel supplies. About a minute of riding later, I crashed while running near some Undead hanging out by an old ruin. My screen disappeared and was replaced by a log of 20+ critical errors, and it took some wrestling to get processes turned off and relaunch the game. By the time I launched it, it didn't matter, as I was stuck in the loop of 'youre already logged in'. "Great," I thought. As expected, me and the horse were dead. Painfully slapped to death by zombies that could barely walk, keeping me locked out of the game the entire time.

So, I continued in the Ether. After some referencing, I found a camp. I then had to revive and get back. Easier said than done. I found the town of Aur, but was instantly murdered at the Priest of the Static, NPC run town, by player controlled NPC guards. The entire town was surrounded by TC (territory control) and littered with angry mage guards. It took a lot of trial and error, but I eventually managed to persevere and make it out into the wilderness. Long story short: I made it back to the camp I had found (only after narrowly escaping Death By Heatstroke, and a territorial bug the size of an caravan).

I could turn the journey into more of a entertaining story, but I don't feel like it (and it would likely have to involve the multitude of other crashes I experienced, horrible collision and map mesh issues that set me backwards for literally no reason, or how miserable the LOD is - among other things).

Lo and Behold, I found a camp, and descended upon it in nothing but rags, starving, exhausted and likely blistered head to toe from sun and heat exposure:

Here are some photos I tried to make a little clearer from the Video.

Some notes:
  • They like spears.
  • The 'minions' and 'leader' appear to have neat 'hats'.
  • There are Giant Green Kurnas directly next to their camp, this implies they tolerate each other at the least, or have a symbiotic relationship perhaps at best.
  • The 'Leader' must be chosen for it's expressed growth genes, and seems to exist outside the rules of time and space.*
    • *This is a joke because it's attack lagged.
    • For reference, my character is 170cm.
Thank you, @Nefnate; you are a brave and determined soul.

To describe the ordeal that was the making of this video, I can only paraphrase Allan Ginsburg's Howl, and say that

I have now seen (one of) the best minds of my generation of Mortal Online 1 players undestroyed by madness, starving sunburned naked,​
dragging himself through the Sidoiian jungle of Sarducaa at dawn looking for an angry Bufonid toad,​
a resurrected spirit burning for the ancient lore connection to the game of MO in the middle of Nave's night...​

That was epic.

Nefnate

Jun 23, 2021
My Mind
I played mo1 since beta and though seeing almost everything. I was wrong.
I remember them being added, and allies of mine going to farm them and also do the Aur Boss Arena on repeat, but I never went myself: and no one ever described them to me. Granted, I didn't ask.

Reactions: Tuhtram

Nefnate

Jun 23, 2021
My Mind
Caught some more footage of them in action so people can see what they look like

It was rather lackluster, honestly. I could parry them with my eyes closed, they follow the same rhythm of Scoundrels. Really cool little adventure though, and good footage. Glad we decided to go.

Should I upload the 1st person PoV?

Reactions: Najwalaylah