Allow for shadows to be turned off

Should you be able to turn shadows off in the in-game menu?

• Total voters

Pierre

Sep 7, 2020
Shadows are critical to the game's experience. People that use shadows to obscure their visibility would be unable to do so if there is an option to disable them. If frame rates are the primary concern, one could reduce render distance and texture quality instead.

Reactions: Rulant and PatWins

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
Shadows are critical to the game's experience. People that use shadows to obscure their visibility would be unable to do so if there is an option to disable them. If frame rates are the primary concern, one could reduce render distance and texture quality instead.
i'm not sure what advantage you think this is, perhaps you can provide an example somehow.

I dont have any real problem with being able to turn shadows off. If doing so actually does give some advantage then im sure unscrupulous players will find a way to turn them off anyway

-barcode

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
Lol.

Yeah, totally man.

"Everyone run into the shade of this building, they'll lose track of us!"

PatWins

May 28, 2020
The shadows cast by foliage and trees are where you'll really see a difference.

Foliage without shadows is far more transparent than with. If the option to remove shadows is introduced, you can bet the best players will keep them off no matter their PC specs.

As a player with a mid-range PC, I would benefit greatly from removing shadows. Still, I think other options to increase performance should be explored first.

Reactions: Valoran

Bonii

Jun 8, 2020
I turned the shadows off completely in the .ini file and saved a bunch of FPS (honestly just capped at 180 FPS now so can't tell how high it'd go) - there is a guide on the forums which should assist with this.

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
I turned the shadows off completely in the .ini file and saved a bunch of FPS (honestly just capped at 180 FPS now so can't tell how high it'd go) - there is a guide on the forums which should assist with this.
Not anymore xD

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
Nope, it's considering 'modifying the client' and against the rules.

Also some players seem to think it's bad for the game.

Rulant

May 30, 2020
It helps hide people and you just want to turn them off for no reason other than you're too poor to have a good pc. Shadows add to a games experience.

Reactions: PatWins

Turbizzler

May 28, 2020
Fabernum
UE4 has a lot of shadow customization that can open up varying shadow options developers can implement. From contact shadows, distant shadows, shadow resolution etc I would prefer SV messed around with this and provided sliders for players to tweak for performance - Rather than allowing players to turn off shadows completely. Shadows should be present in a competitive full loot environment.

Reactions: Rulant

Keurk

May 28, 2020
France
www.youtube.com
It helps hide people and you just want to turn them off for no reason other than you're too poor to have a good pc. Shadows add to a games experience.
shadow only add to the game experience in max quality.Atm with low quality, it is horribly glitchy especially foliage shadows or moving objects,
Too poor ?but we have pc running all the recent games at way better performance than in MO2.
Interesting right?

Reactions: Bonii and Zbuciorn

Rulant

May 30, 2020
shadow only add to the game experience in max quality.Atm with low quality, it is horribly glitchy especially foliage shadows or moving objects,
Too poor ?but we have pc running all the recent games at way better performance than in MO2.
Interesting right?
was just kidding with the too poor thing im broke as shit, i just really think shadows are important but what turb said makes sense
UE4 has a lot of shadow customization that can open up varying shadow options developers can implement. From contact shadows, distant shadows, shadow resolution etc I would prefer SV messed around with this and provided sliders for players to tweak for performance - Rather than allowing players to turn off shadows completely. Shadows should be present in a competitive full loot environment.

Reactions: PatWins

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
You've been begging for a game key. Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo?

Pierre

Sep 7, 2020
i'm not sure what advantage you think this is, perhaps you can provide an example somehow.

I dont have any real problem with being able to turn shadows off. If doing so actually does give some advantage then im sure unscrupulous players will find a way to turn them off anyway

-barcode
Lol.

Yeah, totally man.

"Everyone run into the shade of this building, they'll lose track of us!"
For instance, in the Fabernum dungeon sewer area shadows are very effective at obscuring location and swing direction.

Keurk

May 28, 2020
France
www.youtube.com
For instance, in the Fabernum dungeon sewer area shadows are very effective at obscuring location and swing direction.
you do realise you have barely any difference in the dunjeon due to the very pitch black tone there is in here right? you think you are some dvl sniper on tarkov ? It is MO...you can target in a second any players that you would not be able to see in a pitch black room anyway and know they are here ... like it always been the case for example in MO1 in Mino dunjeon, you would not see players but would see their name in the darkness many times, shadows enabled or not.