All this game is, is a duel system

Gladiator

Apr 26, 2022
Think about it. What else have they done properly? And i do mean properly.

The magic? It's hitscan, This means that magic is not a projectile, there is no "Fireball" physical object in the world, you hover your mouse over your target and he takes damage. This is, by game design terms, an extremely simple system, Im by no means saying it is a bad system (But it is), thats not the argument I am making, I am simply saying it is by no means innovative or complicated.

The Housing system? Have you played Archeage? It's the exact same system. In Archeage you buy a predefined house, you place it down somewhere, and you add resources and build it. You then furnish it inside however you see fit, with simple furnish objects, crafting stations, chests etc... Archeage came out in 2013. You want to know the main difference between Archeage and Mortal Online 2 in the housing department? You don't fall through the floor of an archeage house. You don't crash upon opening a chest. You don't see your friends floating above your head. Your pet does not get stuck in your house.

The crafting system? While it is definitely a little bit well defined in terms of number of combinations you can craft, It's a one click crafting system. A lot of games have a one click crafting system. Most games actually. I'll tell you one game that does not. Wurm Online, an obscure MMO from 2006, in which after crafting a weapon you need to improve it, temper it, polish it, sharpen it untill it becomes good enough for use. Ill tell you another, Metin 2 from 2004, you found a sword, you could take it to the blacksmith in town for improvement, advanced improvement required special materials found in the wild. Lemme tell you another, let's go back to Archeage, there were dozens of levels of an equipment piece yoou could go through. So let's not kid ourselves into thinking MO2 crafting is indepth.

The territory control? (That is not in the game yet and is yet to be announced a date)
Have you played Gloria Victis? It's a game specialized in territory control, and has a similar gameplay to Mortal Online 2. Try it, its cheap. And does not have a subscription.

The horse riding system? You mean the one in which its almost impossible to use anything but a lance in melee and upon going up a sliiightly steep hill your horse takes a right turn by itself and you have to compensate by steering left repeatedly over and over again?

The quest system? There is but one single quest in the game in the form of running a letter (Parcel) from one town to another. Have you played Old School Runescape? It's a game from 2000 that still holds up to this day with more than 50.000 players online every single day. You know how it does it? It has the best quests in any MMO ever created by mankind. They are funny, long, but not long enough to bore you, have lore, take you on literal adventures, and give you sufficient rewards at the end.

Let's go back to the duel system idea in the title.
Why did I say Mortal Online 2 is only but a duel system?
Because, well, while it may have a lot of other systems, none of them stand out, most of them are buggy, and they all have been done better before. I'm sorry to say this, but this is an objective truth. The only thing that will keep this game alive is an instanced 1v1 ranked arena. Because thats the only thing it excels at.

Gladiator

Apr 26, 2022
Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
But nowhere in my post did i say "in my opinion" i just talked objectively how every single system is either not implemented, broken or simpler than in other titles. Apart from melee combat which is actually amazing. I talked as objectively as humanly possible. I don't see how this is an opinion

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
The crafting system? While it is definitely a little bit well defined in terms of number of combinations you can craft, It's a one click crafting system. A lot of games have a one click crafting system. Most games actually. I'll tell you one game that does not. Wurm Online, an obscure MMO from 2006, in which after crafting a weapon you need to improve it, temper it, polish it, sharpen it untill it becomes good enough for use. Ill tell you another, Metin 2 from 2004, you found a sword, you could take it to the blacksmith in town for improvement, advanced improvement required special materials found in the wild. Lemme tell you another, let's go back to Archeage, there were dozens of levels of an equipment piece yoou could go through. So let's not kid ourselves into thinking MO2 crafting is indepth.

I've been saying for a long time in every MMO that Wurm is the only game with a true crafting system. All other MMOs have glorified gathering systems.

You can't call a game where you click a button and an item pops out seconds later a game with crafting any more than you could a game where you click a button and your dungeon rewards pop out seconds later a game with dungeons.

MO2 "crafting" does go way more into depth with materials and how they affect finished products than Wurm does but every other element is far more simplistic.

If I were to adapt Wurm Crafting to MO2 I'd make the crafting of an item about a one to two-minute mini-game per item to make a "basic" item. And then for everything bug cooking and alchemy there would be improvement mini-games to go up to good and excellent quality. Performance during the mini-game reduced the crafting timer and increases the chance that a legendary item will be produced. Skills effect this as well.

RNG Wurm style would be entirely removed other than the fact that at each stage there is a small chance for the item to turn into a legendary version of the base item.

"This would take too long. Nobody would want to do it."

Nobody except people who love crafting. Which is the point. You don't gut a system so it's easier for people who hate it to participate. A lot less people would do crafting. And the people who really enjoy it would do a lot more and sell it to the people who need it. To the point that with Wurm-style crafting you could entirely remove professions skillcaps and just make the crafting skills take longer to grind as Wurm does.

Things it would fix:

Low value of crafted items vs. raw mats (This one is huge)
Profession skillcaps
Non-Crafters feeling forced to take a crafting profession because skill-cap being the only true limiter means they get one for free
Crafting being a boring

Gladiator

Apr 26, 2022
Things it would fix:
While i do agree with you that Wurm has the best crafting in any game ever made, and i do agree that a lesser version of it, an easier on the player version, where there is no RNG involved in failing actions would be ideal, Im afraid it would be too late to implement it now

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
But nowhere in my post did i say "in my opinion" i just talked objectively how every single system is either not implemented, broken or simpler than in other titles. Apart from melee combat which is actually amazing. I talked as objectively as humanly possible. I don't see how this is an opinion

You fail to understand where that quote is from. And that is why it is perfect for your post.

Doesnt matter if it is subjectively objective, it is still after all your opinion. The only thing you stated that is a fact is magic is hit scan. Everything else is opinion.

You said Archage used the same housing system, when in fact it did not, it had a different system while close not the same.

You have NO idea how territory control will work in MO2 yet, so you cant say it will be like Gloria Victis, which in my opinion was pretty bad but I only played it during the first 6 months of its existence.

Or how the crafting system in Wurm online was better or more indepth... I played Wurm online from 2006-2014, and well it wasn't deeper it was WAY MORE GRINDY! This is why Jooki left the project and created Minecraft..... Now who is rich and who is struggling to keep his game afloat.

The horse riding system is fine, the mounted combat system needs work, different things, close but different.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
While i do agree with you that Wurm has the best crafting in any game ever made, and i do agree that a lesser version of it, an easier on the player version, where there is no RNG involved in failing actions would be ideal, Im afraid it would be too late to implement it now

It is. They'd have to delete everyone's crafting progression. That being said, given how bad the launch was and how many players they lost due to it. Along with ongoing issues of lack of content, I think it would be entirely reasonable for them to re-declare the game a beta, wait until the next continent releases on an NA server, wipe everything and start fresh.

We've seen this done successfully before in multiple other games with less catastrophic releases. Most notably, when FF14 was first released people hated it. They re-released it and while I still personally don't care for it, it seems to be replacing WoW as the most popular MMO currently.

Last edited:

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
The quest system? There is but one single quest in the game in the form of running a letter (Parcel) from one town to another. Have you played Old School Runescape? It's a game from 2000 that still holds up to this day with more than 50.000 players online every single day. You know how it does it? It has the best quests in any MMO ever created by mankind. They are funny, long, but not long enough to bore you, have lore, take you on literal adventures, and give you sufficient rewards at the end.

Oh chucks, i take a break for one day and they already removed the bounty system?

Oh well.

D

Deleted member 44

It's a joke. A quote from a movie.

Skylandyr

Jul 27, 2021
Think about it. What else have they done properly? And i do mean properly.

The magic? It's hitscan, This means that magic is not a projectile, there is no "Fireball" physical object in the world, you hover your mouse over your target and he takes damage. This is, by game design terms, an extremely simple system, Im by no means saying it is a bad system (But it is), thats not the argument I am making, I am simply saying it is by no means innovative or complicated.

The Housing system? Have you played Archeage? It's the exact same system. In Archeage you buy a predefined house, you place it down somewhere, and you add resources and build it. You then furnish it inside however you see fit, with simple furnish objects, crafting stations, chests etc... Archeage came out in 2013. You want to know the main difference between Archeage and Mortal Online 2 in the housing department? You don't fall through the floor of an archeage house. You don't crash upon opening a chest. You don't see your friends floating above your head. Your pet does not get stuck in your house.

The territory control? (That is not in the game yet and is yet to be announced a date)
Have you played Gloria Victis? It's a game specialized in territory control, and has a similar gameplay to Mortal Online 2. Try it, its cheap. And does not have a subscription.

The horse riding system? You mean the one in which its almost impossible to use anything but a lance in melee and upon going up a sliiightly steep hill your horse takes a right turn by itself and you have to compensate by steering left repeatedly over and over again?

Let's go back to the duel system idea in the title.
Why did I say Mortal Online 2 is only but a duel system?
Because, well, while it may have a lot of other systems, none of them stand out, most of them are buggy, and they all have been done better before. I'm sorry to say this, but this is an objective truth. The only thing that will keep this game alive is an instanced 1v1 ranked arena. Because thats the only thing it excels at.
instanced 1v1 would be so fucking AWESOME omg id love that id climb the ranked ladder and it would really get me wanting to play