Good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters

lord_yoshi

Oct 3, 2020
One-handed weapons currently drain way too much stamina to be useful. Weapons considered two-handed drain around two-thirds of the stamina that one-handed weapons do for the same values. Shields are pretty much required to be used with one-handed weapons, otherwise it is far more practical to use a two-handed weapon. Even then, spears use two-handed stamina drain values even when using a shield, making other one-handed weapons even more worthless.

I propose that any weapon that is used without a second weapon/shield equipped use the two-handed stamina drain values instead. This way, there will be advantages to not using a shield and single one-handed weapons will actually have a use.

Edit: added details regarding one-handed vs two-handed stamina drain.

Last edited:

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
This post is really confusing.

Are you asking for one handed weapons to use less stamina? If so, I'm on board.

One handed weapons were nearly useless in MO1 outside of daggers.

Spears are two handed weapons, but can be used with a shield; and should continue to take tons of stamina to use. Spears are crazy good for a lot of reasons.

Also, should of made a poll.

lord_yoshi

Oct 3, 2020
Any weapon used without a shield or other weapon equipped to use less stamina, yes. Poll also added.

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
Still find the poll confusing. You’re saying using a one handed weapon right now uses MORE stamina per swing than using a two-handed weapon?

I would think that using a one-handed weapon without a shield should use the LEAST stamina (less than a two handed equivalent). So I would vote “no” on your poll that it should use the same amount of stamina, but I don’t think that’s what you’re looking for.

lord_yoshi

Oct 3, 2020
Swinging a weapon with or without a shield uses the same amount of stamina. The suggestion is to change the system so a weapon without a shield uses less stamina:
  • Two-handed weapons except for spears with shields will be unchanged.
  • One-handed weapons with shields will be unchanged.
  • One-handed weapons without any other equipped shield or weapon would use around one-third less stamina.
  • Spears with shields would use around one and a half times the stamina.
That is the proposal. The poll is for the above changes.

Valoran

May 28, 2020
A couple of points here.

Firstly, one handed weapons cost more stamina because you're only using one arm to wield the weapon opposed to two and therefore it requires more strength and effort to move the same amount of weight with only one arm.

Secondly, there is generally no advantage to using a one handed weapon over a larger two handed weapon, or even a two handed weapon of the same size if you don't also put something in your now free hand. So the ability to use a shield or potentially another weapon is the advantage given to one handed weapons. If you only use a one handed weapon with an empty left hand, you're missing out on potential effectiveness.

Although I do see the gameplay argument of wanting one handed weapons to be more viable, I think they are more viable already than they were in MO1.

If spears do currently not use more stamina while used in one hand, that's a bug and should be reported.

Reactions: Rhias

lord_yoshi

Oct 3, 2020
A couple of points here.

Firstly, one handed weapons cost more stamina because you're only using one arm to wield the weapon opposed to two and therefore it requires more strength and effort to move the same amount of weight with only one arm.
My argument against that is swinging around one weight is a lot easier than swinging around that same weight while holding up another weight.

Ori

Dec 1, 2020
I don't like flat values all that much.

Stamina drain values (and damage values) should be based on overall weight of the weapon and weapon weight balance in conjunction with character stats.

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
A couple of points here.

Secondly, there is generally no advantage to using a one handed weapon over a larger two handed weapon, or even a two handed weapon of the same size if you don't also put something in your now free hand. So the ability to use a shield or potentially another weapon is the advantage given to one handed weapons. If you only use a one handed weapon with an empty left hand, you're missing out on potential effectiveness.

Although I do see the gameplay argument of wanting one handed weapons to be more viable, I think they are more viable already than they were in MO1.

If spears do currently not use more stamina while used in one hand, that's a bug and should be reported.

They're just as useless, idk what you're talking about saying they are more viable.

Valoran

May 28, 2020
They're just as useless, idk what you're talking about saying they are more viable.
They are more viable because we have dedicated one handed variants of all weapons, instead of the same selection which were intended for two handed use and when put on a one handed hilt were mostly too heavy to be viable due to stamina cost when made of common materials.

We didn't get an actually viable one handed sword until the last couple years when we had the conquerors blade added which was smaller and not too heavy for one handed use.

The current selection of one handed weapons is quite good.