Add crouch or make walking silent

Vakirauta

May 28, 2020
Poland

I'm happy that this suggestion came back, but I think SV gives a damn about how many people want it.

Reactions: Grisù

Grisù

Sep 3, 2020
As a thief wannabe, I appreciate every feature which provides a way to cover movements and sounds.

As per older thread which @Vakirauta kindly provided, there could be some concerns about combat abuse, hitbox detection, data management, and so on.

In Mordahu I used crouch + look down to avoid horizontal slashes when i got baited by parrying a feint.
It didn't felt that bad, and experienced players knows how to deal with it.

But MO combat is a whole different thing, so i cannot figure out the benefit vs loss just by imagination.

Maybe we'll get covert movement as a skill or such when thievery will be out, that has to be activated with some warm up time before being effective, due to avoid in combat abuse.

Vakirauta

May 28, 2020
Poland
I think adding such systems is time and resources consuming, and will never be a prority for SV.

Pure non-combat crouching seems easier to make and should be enough atleast just for now.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
Alvarions have a "stalker" clade gift and armor already plays a role in getting close to springbok.

I think SV is going the right direction with sound design. Equipment and behaviour determine how much sounds you make.

Have you tested pressing Ctrl in non-combat mode?

Edit:

It would be cool if armor crafting could detach the boots from the "lower body" armor so that we can have sneaky boots and protective ones. Also good for swag.

Zerotrigger

Nov 30, 2020
I still think adding a crouch would open up a lot of gameplay elements, and add to immersion.

In all honesty it doesn't seem like that difficult of a thing to implement, i'm surprised its not in the game yet.

Apocryphal

May 28, 2020
I still think adding a crouch would open up a lot of gameplay elements, and add to immersion.

In all honesty it doesn't seem like that difficult of a thing to implement, i'm surprised its not in the game yet.
The issue is you then end up needing an entire new set of animations for every clade, gender, armor rigging needs to be redone, animations for emotes, taking damage, swinging etc. It becomes really expensive all of a sudden.

Cant remember where , might have been discord, where they touched on it briefly, saying the reason its not done is it would be disproportionatly expensive and time-consuming.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
The issue is you then end up needing an entire new set of animations for every clade, gender, armor rigging needs to be redone, animations for emotes, taking damage, swinging etc. It becomes really expensive all of a sudden.

Cant remember where , might have been discord, where they touched on it briefly, saying the reason its not done is it would be disproportionatly expensive and time-consuming.

This is fine on release. Crouch is a pretty basic command found in most other games including the very comparable title of Darkfall. If we're going another 10+ years without crouch I think that's a bad decision. If it's not a day one feature I can live with that.

Zerotrigger

Nov 30, 2020

They already need to add specific animations for laying, emotes, mounting, new weapon stances/animations, magic, ect. Saying that specifically crouching is going to break the bank on new animation design isn't really a realistic reason not to implement it into the game.

Now if they really don't see a need for it from a gameplay design perspective, I could at least respect that as a conflicting argument.

Reactions: Svaar

BigBadWolf

May 28, 2020
Rather then adding a crouch mechanic SV should consider making certain armors better for stealth. Plate armors could for example be a non-stealth option since they are clunky and make a lot of sounds, while lighter armor and no armor could be more optimal. SV could make AI react to noise and different armors have various levels of noise. Any movement could cause armors to make noise while ctrl walking dampens footsteps.

Reactions: Guildmaster

sigrace

Dec 10, 2020
This game has projectile weapons. Being able to crouch behind cover is a simple necessity for that, let alone the PvE and audio elements. We have Squat right now if you want to duck behind cover, but it's current /emote implementation is clunky to use in a live fight.

I don't think anyone has ever entered a game and said, "Gee, sure is dumb I can crouch." I have, however, played games where being able to crouch would have been great. (Especially when you're collecting small items off the ground, something we do in this game as well)

If spamming it is a concern, my advice would be to make it a second or two to get up and down. That's a long time in a combat setting and will force tactical use of it, rather than exploiting the server. (I play Planetside 2 and this is a small, but annoying eploit to mess up headshots.)

Avenoma

Jan 14, 2021
I feel like im crouch walking with my weapon out. My avatar seems to bound at lower armor levels.

Chronicburn

Jan 9, 2021
Didn’t realize it was missing... but now that you mention it. Pretty basic feature, should be in game.